[HOW TO]Jtag a HTC Touch Elf(in)

Search This thread

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
I have searched, and have not found any information that can help me.

I have a touch that the Service Centre want £90 to repair - new motherboard. Is this fixable with a jtag - If so, does the Holly Gates Schematics for a Jtag Dongle work here?

Has anyone successfully JTAG'd an ELF? If so, was it due to a similar circumstance as myself?

Anything I have come across goes to Russian sites - I'm not russian, nor can I read it.

I have seen posts for other devices, but these seem to all be based on a Samsung Chipset, apposed to our OMAP devices?

Any help would be great, even if it is just to go read a post that I have missed when searching.

Stu

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Hey, not sure if anyone would care all to much.

I have found a jtag setup I am curently preparing to use, I am going to hopefully be trying to do this tomorrow. I am working on a guide as I do it - as I haven't been able to find one. If this would be useful to anyone let me know, and I will upload it as soon as I have tested it on my broken elfin to make sure it works!

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
hey just come into a bit of a stuck point. I have no images to support this.

I am trying to fix the cables to the main board on the jtag points. Aout 5mm wide. I dont really want to solder them on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to affix them? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow when i can.

Stu

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Unable to do pictures today, I will do them tomorrow hopefully on my lunch break, so people can make suggestions.

I am a little scpetical about if this will work. I do not know the history of the device I am tinkering with, but I hope this will fix it.

If anyone has a broken elf they would like to part with for me to test, that would be great (I would pay ofc)

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Pic

Hey,

Please see attached image.

This points out the JTAG test points, labelled to what they do (in theory) and what pin they connect to the JTAG device from the LPT cable.

I think these are very small to be able to tape them on, I also do not think that they would give a good enough connection. I am going to try to solder the cables on tonight - but in the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. Any ideas are good!

Stu

Last edited:

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hi captainstu72,

I have a completely dead HTC Touch P3450. Really dead. Even when I plug the charger to the device, the orange light (as a sign that the phone is charging now) can not light on.

A service man asked me to replace the machine for USD 80, as he said we can not do j-tag to HTC ELF

Your thread is very exciting. Please keep posting, I'll follow this thread.

Thanks

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Hi captainstu72,

I have a completely dead HTC Touch P3450. Really dead. Even when I plug the charger to the device, the orange light (as a sign that the phone is charging now) can not light on.

A service man asked me to replace the machine for USD 80, as he said we can not do j-tag to HTC ELF

Your thread is very exciting. Please keep posting, I'll follow this thread.

Thanks

Hey bombom81,

I'm glad this can be useful for others. I just want to make sure that people don't get their hopes up too soon, thats the thing, I don't know if it is definately able to work, but I know it has been done on other phones with a very similar chipset to ours.

If I have any major break through tonight, I will definately be doing a write up on it tomorrow in my lunch, and If you'd like I can PM you when done so you can give it ago.

Your ELF sounds as though it is in a similar state to mine, so hopefully, if I get this fixed, it may well work on yours!

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hey bombom81,

I'm glad this can be useful for others. I just want to make sure that people don't get their hopes up too soon, thats the thing, I don't know if it is definately able to work, but I know it has been done on other phones with a very similar chipset to ours.

If I have any major break through tonight, I will definately be doing a write up on it tomorrow in my lunch, and If you'd like I can PM you when done so you can give it ago.

Your ELF sounds as though it is in a similar state to mine, so hopefully, if I get this fixed, it may well work on yours!

Stu

Yes..I had this problem months ago and I've made a thread for it :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=582913

Unfortunately, every suggestions I got from people here didn't work in my device. And I could not even claim a warranty for it as the seller said that the product warranty is already expired too long ago (in the end I knew that the product was his present from his office, and when he said it is new, means that, It is new because He never used it...LOL, not "new" from the factory). So I just keep it in my cupboard.

I think It will be more valuable for others if we discuss here, on your thread, than PM, as I think there are many people are having the same problem like us (as many as I can find after I google "Repair Totally Dead ELF" :) )

Please, kindly also check this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=602233
This guy also found a similar thing like yours. I actually don't know a thing about JTAG. In the future, please forgive me if I might ask you some questions about it and I hope you don't mind about my questions.

Thanks for your kind to share your experience with us, I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully you'll be success with your experiment so it can bring the joy for all of us.

Best Regards,
Bom81

Last edited:

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Yes..I had this problem months ago and I've made a thread for it :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=582913

Unfortunately, every suggestions I got from people here didn't work in my device. And I could not even claim a warranty for it as the seller said that the product warranty is already expired too long ago (in the end I knew that the product was his present from his office, and when he said it is new, means that, It is new because He never used it...LOL, not "new" from the factory). So I just keep it in my cupboard.

I think It will be more valuable for others if we discuss here, on your thread, than PM, as I think there are many people are having the same problem like us (as many as I can find after I google "Repair Totally Dead ELF" :) )

Please, kindly also check this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=602233
This guy also found a similar thing like yours. I actually don't know a thing about JTAG. In the future, please forgive me if I might ask you some questions about it and I hope you don't mind about my questions.

Thanks for your kind to share your experience with us, I'll keep watching this thread and hopefully you'll be success with your experiment so it can bring the joy for all of us.

Best Regards,
Bom81
Hey,

Likewise, every suggestion I could find had no luck, which I why I decided to dig deeper.

I did come across GallegoT's thread, however, I sent him a PM to see if he had got anything sorted, but I have never heard back - So I created a new one.

I was going to keep this thread posted, don't worry, I was only going to PM you when it was finished - to save you keep checking it :)

Had a few issues with it last night, tried soldering to the board, but my soldering iron doesn't get hot enough, hasn't got a thin enough tip, and my hands weren't steady enough - Also the wires I was using were fairly wide, I have swapped these for a thinner Kynar wire, and will more then likely be remaking the whole of my setup to make it easier.

Just so you have an idea - I currently have an LPT (male to male) cable which I have taken the end off, and soldered wires to 2 3 4 6 11 and 18-25. 18-25 link then into one wire, as this is to ground the device. 2 3 4 6 and 11 are connected to 100Ω resistors each. These are then connected to wires, which are ready to be connected to the device.

Thats the basics of the device - I do not have an image of what I have planned out avaliable, but you can get the idea of it from what is in this post, and using my image posted earlier.

Maybe you guys have better tools - soldering equipment etc then I do.

When this is done you need to run a program called HJtag, and NoIce. I have an idea on what to do for these, however, I have not tested it yet to want to post it on here.

Like I have said though, I will be making a guide that is as full as I can.

I will try some more tonight, to get the cables connected, and hopefully then will be able to give the whole process a go.

Thanks for your interest in this thread, even if I only manage to help one person, at least then I feel as though I will be giving something back to the community on this site.

(I'll point out now - I did not have a clue about Jtag before now - but I also have some links I will post which make some interesting reading!)

Stu

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Hey to anyone who is still watching this.

I have just got my elfin all wired up, ready to go, circuit is fully continuous and there are no bridges (I haven't soldered for more then 8 years!)

However, I have been a bit stupid, my pc doesn't have a parallel port. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and get going - very annoyed about this set back, i'm such an idiot for not checking!

I'll try it tomorrow night hopefully, worst case would be friday/saturday - A long time since starting this projct, but my hopes are high and I really hope I can help some of you guys out there!

Just thought I should update you all, I don't want this thread to become dead... like our elfs :p

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
LOL..no need to worry that your thread is dead.

I'll visit this thread everyday to see how it's going :)

BTW...do we really need the LPT Socket to do the JTAG? if so, then I will have to ask my IT man in my company to find me a "no-used" LPT socket, lucky I have an old Pentium 3 PC that I might be able to use it for this JTAG matter.

Please update the step-by-step tutorial here with photos so I can follow you easily. FYI, I am blind in this JTAG matter, so please do not mind to answer my next "silly questions".

Keep going! Thanks :)

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Parallel is the only interface I have found to do it on - I would have much prefered usb or something more up to date, but we can't always have what we want.

Below are a few links that I read through before doing anything, just so I could get a vague understanding. I'm workign on the guide today on my lunch - the last part will have to be in theory.

Jtag Introduction
Someone Jtag'd an Ipaq (not the same but the concept)
Has some links to JTAG
Program we will be using for the jtag
NoIceDebugger - A program I will be using
What I think our Processor is
OMAP 850

Again, I will be making a an actual guide, this is just some reading before hand that i did that may be useful!

Stu

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
hey, well, i have a parallel port and have attempted the jtag.

It didn't work.

My guess is i was using too long cables, or something has come loose. My continuity tester has now died so i will be testing again on the weekend.

I'm going to post the guide i am working and what i did tomorrow. Maybe someone (bom81) would be able to give it a go and do well as i'm sure he will.

Sorry for the failure, but i am really optimistic that it will work, and that it didn't only because of something i may have wired wrong that someone else does right. I'm going to try and get a thirc elf to break and fix as well as it may just be the one i am doing is beyond repair.

Bom81, if you give this a go, good luck. I'm sure you'll have some luck!
If anyone else tries when i have the guide up, please please let this thread know, even if it doesn't work.

Stu

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hi Stu..
Can you give me the russian forum that explain about this jtag on HTC Touch.
I'm going to learn it there.

BTW, how long have you made the cable? have you cut it shorter and try again the connection?

Try to read this thread : http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f98/htc-elf-dead-after-wrting-elfin-rom-650359/

This guy has the same problem with us but finally (or luckily?), the device could come to Bootloader mode. I'm going to try to PM him, so he can explain how did he get the device work.

Thanks for your try.

Regards,
Bom81

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
This is for the wizard - same omap 850 http://pda2u.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=348

I can't find my link for the touch, it may be on my home pc, but it was on the same website iirc.

Cable was about 50cm's - Too long, so I am remaking it to around 15cms tonight, but will be fun as I do not have my continuity tester to make sure that the circuit has the right resistance etc. before I think I was going over by too much due to cable length.

I have started the guide, I just need a few files off my home PC, so I will do this tonight again.

It really annoys me when other threads/sites do not put everything down they have tried, the internet is for information, not for saying, "ha, i've done it!"

I'll try again tonight and tomorrow, I think I have my LPT PCB sockets waiting to be collected, all the way from China, so this will be easier for me to do ultimately.

I haven't yet given up hope, and I'm sure that if I get my document made, someone will be able to tweak it and further help us.

I just don't know how many people are using the Elf's anymore, its fine there being a thread saying we have 900's htc touch's, but how many still use them and are active on this community.... but I digress.

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
I am really sorry that I am not good in Electronic thing, nor that I know how the electronic equipment works.

But I will try to learn from the website url you provided. Afterall, my HTC is already dead, it will not be a big problem if I make some experiments on it. If I'm lucky enough, I might wake a Frankenstein from his dead. LOL !!

Thanks,
Bom81

ITCons

Apr 15, 2010
JTAG HTC device

Thanks first of all for your effort captainstu72 and bombom81, very interesting thread.

I am also in the same situation - having a bricked device (flashed wrong ROM and/or wrong carrier) and thus also interested in getting a serial cable hooked up to it :) no bootloader - no reset. The device is therefore software-wise dead.

I would therefore also love to try your procedure to getting a JTAG connection to the device. I have not been dealing with soldering on electronic devices since I did this on commodore 64... quite a few years ago as you imagine ;) but therefore even more exciting.

I will check this thread and get a serial cable. Oh does the H-JTAG Software also run from linux since I only work on linux on this machine?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I can be of any help in this.
Oliver

Last edited:

bombom81

Oct 29, 2009
Surabaya - Hero City
Hi Stu and ITCons (welcome to the thread)

I've read the Russian website and have made a translation of the thread from Russian to English using Google Traslate.

Unfortunately, as I said before, I have no competency in electronic, but I'll try to learn.

All credits for the compiled document will go to user id : MEDUSH and ARCC in the Russian Forum (PDA2U.Ru), as they mentioned this document might be reprinted by their copyright.

Please have a read to the document I attached...I'll come back if I'm finding out something (as this week I'll face my busiest week of the month, there are some reports in my daily jobs that I need to prepare to my Boss...LOL).

Thanks for your kind attention.

Regards,
Bom81

captainstu72

Dec 17, 2009
Thank you very much Bom81 :)

I have found another thread on this forum as well in the gene section, which shows how they did it on the gene too (omap 850 processor as well) I have posted on there to ask if anyone can relink to the revised download, but so far, there has been no update.

I'm going to go through what you have posted tonight bom, it matches most of what I was going which is always good (from my point of view, as it means i wasn't chasing a lost cause)

Sorry for not posting the guide yet, i'm slacking! But now, obviously, it does not matter so much as bom has posted an excellent guide in his post.

ITcons - I have had a (very) quick look, I don't think HJTAG runs on linux, although I would be interested to see how it would work in cedega/wine (this is not something I can test personally), I hope it would be able to use the LPT ports etc correctly - but again, nothing I really have a whole lot of experience about.

I'll see how it goes tonight, hopefully I should have remade my circuit again, and will be ready to test once more! - This time I am using an LPT PCB Socket - hopefully easier to do as there will be less in the way of resistance from excess cables.

Stu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, I'm happy people are still using elfs, been a while since I've been in this section.

Anyways. Cyber, They hopefully are the same pins. I'm not able to check as I don't have an elf anymore. If someone else does, maybe they can use a voltmeter or something to check to make sure that the 2 are the same?

Failing that, it may be worth a go anyways.

Jack, glad your phone is working again :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Honestly, no. Can't remeber if that happened on mine before. May well be something with the resistor you may have fried, may be that it wasn't completely bricked before and could have been some over hardware issue. Who knows, but sorry I can't be more help on this one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk