[APP] TileCreator - Create tiles to all applications

Search This thread

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
I absolute adore this software! Thank you so for much for sharing this application and making it freeware :) Donation is also on the way.
Even the browser-opening Battlefield shortcuts are working. Awesome! Finally the startmenu is like I dreamed it to be.

One tiny feedback: If you first select an image, it automatically fills in all sizes. The second time it only fills in the medium tile. Can this be harmonized?

S4zMyEL.png

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
I absolute adore this software! Thank you so for much for sharing this application and making it freeware :) Donation is also on the way.
Even the browser-opening Battlefield shortcuts are working. Awesome! Finally the startmenu is like I dreamed it to be.

One tiny feedback: If you first select an image, it automatically fills in all sizes. The second time it only fills in the medium tile. Can this be harmonized?

S4zMyEL.png

Yes, this is a known bug. I wanted to get the app out right away since a lot of people wanted it (including me :) ). Will fix this in the upcoming weeks. (Likely by or before September 13th)

Reactions: Greg90

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
I'm so glad the app is being well received. Just want to let you guys know that I have been pretty busy the last two weeks but I should be able to get a majority of all the requested features done soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a newly created, more user friendly TileCreator Proxy
pggrny8.png

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
Hi... just coming over to this app after using Oblytile on Win 8.

The first thing I would like to recommend is copy and paste the above instructions, by Jakaria, into the "help" menu Tilecreator... and also in the first post in this thread. Specific, simple instructions for this part of the process are way too buried for the average user.

My other sugestion is to add a tooltip or some kind of "heads up" that you can remove the text from the tile by leaving the name field blank. People coming over from Oblytile will probably be looking for a check box to remove the text from the tile.

Other than those initial suggestions... great job! A lot of people were disappointed that Oblytile wouldn't work on 10 and you are going to make those people very happy! Thanks!

*edit* One question... would it be possible to eliminate the TileCreator screen flashing for a second each time a shortcut is opened by running the TileCreator process in the background all the time, so that it doesn't need to be called?

I completely agree with all of this. As of right now, I do not have a workaround "to eliminate the TileCreator screen flashing for a second each time a shortcut is opened". This unfortunately is a limitation of Windows 10 AFAIK :/.

Flinston_Ger

Aug 6, 2009
As a quick fix, you can position the TileCreator modern app somewhere barely noticable, e.g. barely above the taskbar (the titelbar has to be 1px above the taskbar).

For the implementation: Might be ugly but could work: If TileCreator Modern App (TCMA) is launched via a live tile (i.e. "launch program!"), you could move the TCMA outside the screen or to (-100, -100). If that doesn't work you could also launch it and set the window transparency to 0. Can a modern app be borderless? If yes, a 1x1pixel app would be barely noticable.

Greg90

Jul 30, 2015
I'm so glad the app is being well received. Just want to let you guys know that I have been pretty busy the last two weeks but I should be able to get a majority of all the requested features done soon.

Here is a sneak preview of a newly created, more user friendly TileCreator Proxy
pggrny8.png

@TileCreator/ Mr. Neal
looks great! thanks man!:good::good::good:
BTW I posted this question before but no one replied unfortunately:
is there a way to customize Start Screen pinned Desktop Apps with multiple images and Animations instead of one static image?
I mean choosing multiple images for the pinned Desktop Apps and make them Animate so they look more cohesive and on par with Store Apps.
I had this idea when I visited this game website (hover the mouse on the Tiles to make them animate)
http ://www .bundlestars .com/
is that possible?
thank you so much and many thanks for the Awesome update!!!:highfive:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
@TileCreator/ Mr. Neal
looks great! thanks man!:good::good::good:
BTW I posted this question before but no one replied unfortunately:
is there a way to customize Start Screen pinned Desktop Apps with multiple images and Animations instead of one static image?
I mean choosing multiple images for the pinned Desktop Apps and make them Animate so they look more cohesive and on par with Store Apps.
I had this idea when I visited this game website (hover the mouse on the Tiles to make them animate)
http ://www .bundlestars .com/
is that possible?
thank you so much and many thanks for the Awesome update!!!:highfive:

Sorry, I have not replied to your previous post. On or within a day of September 3rd, I plan to go through and answer all questions on this forum. Unfortunately, (as a previous post mentioned) I became extremely busy the last two weeks.

Most likely :). As of right now I have not looked into it but I'll have a better answer for you by or before September 13th.

Reactions: Greg90

Greg90

Jul 30, 2015
Sorry, I have not replied to your previous post. On or within a day of September 3rd, I plan to go through and answer all questions on this forum. Unfortunately, (as a previous post mentioned) I became extremely busy the last two weeks.

Most likely :). As of right now I have not looked into it but I'll have a better answer for you by or before September 13th.

thank you so much for your reply and take it easy my Sir!:)
I'll keep in touch with every single update and progress you make to your Amazing App.
and I'm very happy to know we maybe can get an animated live tiles for the pinned Desktop Apps:victory:
we all looking forward for the upcoming news, updates and experiments you provide:D
thanks again, take it easy and have fun!
Respectfully,
Greg.

llkobe

Aug 31, 2015
There is only one "feature" what is bothering me: if you click on a tile, the app's window pops up for a moment. Can you hide it? It's the only thing why I'm not using this... THX!

Drybonz

Sep 20, 2008
I completely agree with all of this. As of right now, I do not have a workaround "to eliminate the TileCreator screen flashing for a second each time a shortcut is opened". This unfortunately is a limitation of Windows 10 AFAIK :/.

Why not just make Tilecreator a desktop app? You could distribute it here on XDA and wouldn't have the limitations of the metro app.

LEXX911

Aug 23, 2014
This first time I got it to work on the Large Icon but after that I can't get it to work on any other size other than Medium. I guessed there is bug that I managed to get the Large Icon?

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
This first time I got it to work on the Large Icon but after that I can't get it to work on any other size other than Medium. I guessed there is bug that I managed to get the Large Icon?

This is a known bug. I'll be fixing this in the upcoming sprint.

Cheers,
TileCreator

Last edited:

TileCreator

Aug 2, 2015
There is only one "feature" what is bothering me: if you click on a tile, the app's window pops up for a moment. Can you hide it? It's the only thing why I'm not using this... THX!

the window popping up up for a moment is a windows 10 limitation. In the upcoming sprint, I will play around with finding a workaround for this (maybe failing silently before the window is rendered, opening off screen etc) but not too sure of the success I will have.

Iron Doktor

Apr 17, 2010
the window popping up up for a moment is a windows 10 limitation. In the upcoming sprint, I will play around with finding a workaround for this (maybe failing silently before the window is rendered, opening off screen etc) but not too sure of the success I will have.

If you can't hide the window, what about making a splash screen that is transparent? That way, it renders essentially nothing (or even a small logo) and after the splash you close the main window? Just thinking out loud :)

Reactions: matrix808
Sep 2, 2015
Game crashes at launch

All kinds of errors
Unable to open properties.
As if it's treating it like a Metro App and not a Native one.

Also, what's up with pressing on Login or already a member?
Am I banned or some crap?

I tried 3 different browsers with and without blockers.

insaiyanxo

Aug 6, 2015
TileCreator has stopped working since this morning for me. Opening any of the shortcuts I had created no longer does anything, it merely opens the TileCreator app. All these shortcuts were created and working since the day TileCreator was released onto the Windows Store. Just wanted to point this out :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE COMPANION APP (TileCreator Proxy) for this app to work. Please see How To Install below!

Changes:
    UPDATED: September 17th, 2015
    • Fixed bug and added functionality where left navigational panel will collapse if the window is sufficiently small fixing the alignment issue where users see all blue window.
    UPDATED: September 15th, 2015
    • Added wide Tile support
    • Added Large Tile support
    • Added support for numbers in Proxy Link name
    • Added ability for you to import and export tiles
    • Added ability to change tile backgrounds (works well with transparent pngs)
    • Added ability for you to unpin from tiles from TileCreator
    • Created a better Help Menu
    UPDATED: September 2nd, 2015
    • Rewrote TileCreator Proxy to handle errors better and have a UI!

This program does exactly what you hoped it would do for windows 10. It creates tiles to your Windows 10 Start Menu that open any application when clicked.

Please note that this app is a work in progress so please don't be too harsh. As of right now only square images are supported. Expect updates :).

With that being said, the following are on my to do list:
    • Implement Abstract Live Tile customization so users can create and send custom live tile notifications
    • Add ability to set color of tiles instead of only relying on images *Done
    • Support other tile sizes (wide and large)*Done
    • Add ability to select color in color picker based on tile image (eyedropper)
    • Add ability to Import and export tile(s) *Done
    • Add Localization (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, French, German) if possible
    Please send feedback to TileCreator@outlook.com

How to install:
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"][B]How to install:[/B][/SIZE]
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Please go to the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 device and install TileCreator from the Microsoft App Store
    [*]Please download "TileCreator Proxy Installation.zip" from one of the below links:

[U][B]Use this file at your own risk![/B][/U]

[B]MD5 Hash[/B]: a74cb6824efddca3ad0676e577375624
    [B]SHA-1 Hash[/B]: 83e6dc0ab4f1103574ef4e457b319e0378fbc60f

[B]Dropbox:[/B]
    [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/12xu8q552oweg8c/TileCreator%20Proxy%20Installation.zip?dl=0"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]
    [B]Mega:[/B]
    [URL="https://mega.nz/#!z4JlBRSZ!w4tMK8W7Rq5Rrb6F0NEXaOyosvmQvxp45IqkQzwHbyI"]TileCreator Proxy v1.0 Installer Zip[/URL]

[*]Add links using TileCreator Proxy and copy the name to your clipboard.
    [*]Open the Microsoft Store App TileCreator and pin a tile using the name you have on your clipboard as the ApprovedApps key Example: notepad
    [*]Pin tile and enjoy!
    [/LIST]

Here are some screenshots of the app in action!

TileCreator
    VHdMNjO.png

Start Menu:
    wQxFs6P.png

TileCreator Proxy:
    vlq51uO.png

If you enjoy the app want to donate, here is a paypal link where you can!

Notes: The icons seen in the screenshots above were by dakirby309 and can be found in the Metro-UI-Icon-Set-725-Icons at DeviantArt
    I hacked together a very tiny app that utilizes the (newly/old) available visualelementsmanifest.xml function. Please consider this as a proof of concept and as a prototype. I am posting this here, instead of a new thread, as without TileCreator I would have never created this tiny app and it is far from perfection. Maybe this can be integrated into future TileCreator releases.
    The prototype goes as follows: The app is very simple and quite stupid. Select a ".lnk" from the startmenu list (top), select an image and click save. Then just pin the tile as usual to your startscreen directly from your startmenu. Jumplists are fully working. Sadly, wide and large tiles are not supported.

If any dev is interested in developing this to a real application, I am happy to share the source --- although it is insanely simple.

Attached a proof of concept screenshot.

Download: http://www.motzek.org/MyTile.rar (Disclaimer: You are on your own. I take no responsibility for whatsoever. App requests highest available rights.)
    MyTile.png

I moved it also here: http://xdaforums.com/windows-10/development/win10tile-native-custom-windows-10-t3248677
    thanks man, I needed this to my indie games! :good:

No problem. I have been pretty busy the last week with weddings, traveling for work, and I was a bit under the weather. Should have a great update for you guys next Sunday.
    Cheers!
    TileCreator

pggrny8.png
    This app is turning out really nicely! I'm eagerly awaiting support for wide tiles, I'll be using it for everything! :D

Glad to hear it. I worked on it all day today (so far). I've added wide tile support, a much better help module, and have completely rewritten its internals allowing for much quicker updates, maintenance, and better code readability for developers (if I open source it).

Cheers!
    TileCreator