[How-To] Update to G900A_OF3 - 5.0 and KeepRoot

Search This thread

mattsternc

Aug 2, 2008
Cary, NC
This is an update to OF2 which appears to have fixed the battery life issues a lot of people were running into. There were also security updates which may have locked things down even tighter, but not wholly certain about that. I just got my S5 about a month ago, so it came stock with OF2 and I upgraded to OF3. The battery life I am seeing has been phenomenal so far, with the longest run (moderate use) being about 38 hours or so!

For now, there wasn't a way to root my new phone, so I took this update. While I'd like to have root, it's not a deal breaker for me with battery life like this!

I'm sorry for the noob question, but what update is this?
I have OC4 and I saw that AT&T released OF2 after that. Where did this one come from?

Thanks.

Reactions: _LEM_

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
This is an update to OF2 which appears to have fixed the battery life issues a lot of people were running into. There were also security updates which may have locked things down even tighter, but not wholly certain about that. I just got my S5 about a month ago, so it came stock with OF2 and I upgraded to OF3. The battery life I am seeing has been phenomenal so far, with the longest run (moderate use) being about 38 hours or so!

For now, there wasn't a way to root my new phone, so I took this update. While I'd like to have root, it's not a deal breaker for me with battery life like this!

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Everything is clear now. :good:

A0425A

Nov 26, 2013
Only posting here because the previous threads have been closed. I just picked up an S5 that was still on KitKat (moving from an S4). I'd like to be able to stay on rooted 4.4.4 OA2. Have any well known devs extracted the kernel from the OTA? I'm assuming the process will be the same regarding flashing older kernel, rooting, and flashing OA2.

stonecold36067

Feb 24, 2013
I just want the updated 5.0 rooted im willing to pay to have it done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app

TheElfymaster

Aug 30, 2015
Update

Hi, quick question, i bought this phone in the US but brought it back abroad

How can I obtain the update if i'm outside the AT&T network?, has anyone posted the zip file to this update? or can i use one of the files on the OP to do so?

Thank you

D

Deleted member 5731417

I am running G900A BOC4 Build. Can I upgrade to OF3?

Mar 18, 2013
Similar question to post #286:
I'm running Bootloader/PDA/Baseband version G900AUCU2AOA1, and CSC version G9000AATT2AOA1.
Anything I need to look out for? Or should I be able to go straight for the upgrade?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5731417

IT WORKS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Vortex

Nov 7, 2010
BTW, VERY IMPORTANT. THIS IS STOCK ROM. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT. I lost my root privilege, kinda sucks, but I can live without it. THANKS WHOEVER YOU ARE that posted the rom.

If you followed the directions in the OP then you most certainly will NOT lose root. I'm running this ROM and I'm enjoying root thanks to muniz_ri's efforts. I give thanks for his efforts every day I use my phone.

mrsubway

Dec 3, 2009
Bronx, NY
So, I was really desperate to get a fresh install of the OS on my S5. I deleted some important system apps by mistakes and life was hell for a few months. Couldn't find OC4 or newer roms on the internet except this one . It's all over the internet but no one gave any thumbs up review, so I was really nervous, cause if I brick my phone, there's no way I can fix it and my insurance will be voided too. So, totally stressed out, but last night, I was like F*CK it, and I flashed it, praying to God, and IT WORKED!!!!! SUPER HAPPYYYY!!!!!!!!!! I already had OC4 installed. I just reflashed the same OS. BTW, VERY IMPORTANT. THIS IS STOCK ROM. YOU WILL LOSE ROOT. I lost my root privilege, kinda sucks, but I can live without it. THANKS WHOEVER YOU ARE that posted the rom.
You would have had to have root to even flash this. "Whoever" is Muniz_ri, and I've used the last 3 versions of his Rom and never lost root. To say "YOU WILL LOSE ROOT" is disparaging to the developer in my opinion. I can confidently say YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY NOT lose root if you follow the instructions. I've gone from NCE to Lollipop several times and could always root NCE with Towelroot. As long as you have the OA1 bootloader of below, you're fine.

Last edited:

mrsubway

Dec 3, 2009
Bronx, NY
I'm thinking...

Attachments

• 1441085088342.jpg
    1441085088342.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 190
D

Deleted member 5731417

You would have had to have root to even flash this. "Whoever" is Muniz_ri, and I've used the last 3 versions of his Rom and never lost root. To say "YOU WILL LOSE ROOT" is disparaging to the developer in my opinion. I can confidently say YOU WILL MOST CERTAINLY NOT lose root if you follow the instructions. I've gone from NCE to Lollipop several times and could always root NCE with Towelroot. As long as you have the OA1 bootloader of below, you're fine.

Just noticed, I commented on the wrong thread.

muttfy21

Jan 29, 2013
hi muniz ri.. i have a question.. i'm currently running 4.4 NG3. Can i just follow your post and directly flash OF3 or should i first flash the 4.4.4 update and 5.0?.. can you please tell me the prerequisites before flashing this OF3 coming from NG3.. Thank you and more power... i'm very thankful that we have brilliant devs like you offering support in a bootloader locked phone.. hope you can reply.. thanks...

Jul 22, 2011
Seattle, WA
Currently experiencing the same force close issues with FlashFire as a lot of other people. Looks like the FF Beta ended a day or two ago, so now the app is borked. Is there a workaround for this?

Chifero

Sep 1, 2015
Hello everyone ami just do not open the application , and use it to install previously lollipop, now I want to install the Flash Fire vercion OF3 can not open I have an AT & T s5 , can you help

FtaWolf

Jun 27, 2010
Cana
Hello everyone ami just do not open the application , and use it to install previously lollipop, now I want to install the Flash Fire vercion OF3 can not open I have an AT & T s5 , can you help
Try turning ur date back few days. Try it again. They release update app in few days I'd say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chifero

UnixSlayer

Dec 28, 2011
NEW YORK CITY
One think I noticed with 5.0.... after a week of installing any of the new builds, the phone starts bogging down.... but super fast after the install......

Dark_Vortex

Nov 7, 2010
One think I noticed with 5.0.... after a week of installing any of the new builds, the phone starts bogging down.... but super fast after the install......

I installed OF3 the day he released the corrected deodexed build & my phone is still as quick as the day I installed it. Perhaps it's an app that you are installing that is bogging your phone down?

UnixSlayer

Dec 28, 2011
NEW YORK CITY
I installed OF3 the day he released the corrected deodexed build & my phone is still as quick as the day I installed it. Perhaps it's an app that you are installing that is bogging your phone down?

I thought people were complaining the deodexed version of OF3 was bad, and not working.....

Can anyone confirm that the deodexed version of OF3 is working?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

Downloads:
    - G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM
    - G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_ROM

Previous Builds
    - G900A_OF2_Stock_Rooted_ROM
    - G900A_OF2_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to *"Download."
    6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the **flash .
    7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the G900A_OA1_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.
    *If you are already on the OA1 bootloader, set "Reboot" setting to "Normal" and skip Step 7.
    **The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition.

Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Optional:
    - G900A_OF3_TetherAddOn

- G900A_OF2_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).
    - G900A_OC4-OF2_Batch_DeBloater (Customizable)

Notes:
    1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
    2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery. The bootloader will not be updated to allow for downgrading to previous firmware versions.
    3. No need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you do not already have root access (or to unbrick) you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar using Odin's PDA/AP slot (Caution! Do not flash if you have taken the OC4, OF2, or OF3 ota updates) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
    5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2
    Uploading a stock, unrooted flashable OI5 ROM w/out the bootloader for use with FlashFire so people can try OI5 and downgrade back to NCE at anytime in order to re-root. Stay tuned...
    I am taking the deodexed version down for futher testing. I may have rushed through that build but it seemed to work for me. Stay tuned...

Edit: I recently updated my PC's main boot partition to Windows 10 and it seems that our current deodexing tool, SVA, is not compatible with Windows 10. I will spend more time on it at some point but for now it looks like someone else is going to have to tackle the deodexed build.

Correction:

Nevermind on any of this, got things working fine on Windows 10. Uploading deodexed version now.
    Correction:

Nevermind on any of this, got things working fine on Windows 10. Uploading deodexed version now.

I know the Thanks button is there for a reason, but this goes beyond clicking a button for me. A lot of devs would have given up, called it a day, and moved on & that would have been fine. That you stuck with it & got things working for us AT&T S5 owners is greatly appreciated.
    @muniz_ri there it is! Hopefully you can work your magic like you always have

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will look into it and I hope that I am wrong but I am not hopefull based on what I have seen on other samsung 5.1 releases. Will let Everyone know soon.