5.1 for Moto g baked and served ; possibly marshmallow getting baked

Search This thread

thiagobbt

Jan 19, 2014
Florianópolis
I got the 5.1 (not 5.1.1) update for the Brazilian Retail XT1033
System version on the about screen is 221.21.56.falcon_umtsds.Brasil.en.BR

I noticed they changed the dual sim implementation to the lollipop native and now you can use google's messenger app to send sms from both sims. They also added wifi selection from the notification area.

Download

admax99

Jun 15, 2014
It worked for me.. now on 5.1

Not sure if There is.another build for 5.1.1

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app

vkk178

Feb 6, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
Last edited:
Reactions: thuybang

Mustajab Is'haq

Aug 27, 2013
To the guys who are already on 5.1, has Moto fixed the bugs which were present in 5.0.2?

Like the screen going completely black if Adaptive Brightness is On and the slider is rolled back to the far left?

Are there any noticeable changes in this update?

Also, could someone post a screenshot of the Home Screen with stock launcher (in 5.1). Thanks a lot!

Haggster66

Feb 23, 2013
Would it be possible to update the first post with an overview of what xt1032s, regions, etc. have officially received the update?

I'm slowly losing hope that I'll have this Android version which had been released in February on my device before Marshmallow comes out. (I'm using a retail.en-GB xt1032)

Next time I'm gonna go for a Nexus... it's just too bad that the two upcoming ones will be released with flawed SoCs that will belong to an obsolete generation in just a few months from now. But I guess that's off topic anyway...

calinorg

Would it be possible to update the first post with an overview of what xt1032s, regions, etc. have officially received the update?

I'm slowly losing hope that I'll have this Android version which had been released in February on my device before Marshmallow comes out. (I'm using a retail.en-GB xt1032)

Next time I'm gonna go for a Nexus... it's just too bad that the two upcoming ones will be released with flawed SoCs that will belong to an obsolete generation in just a few months from now. But I guess that's off topic anyway...
AFAIK, no one got it officially, there are soaks in Brazil and Asia...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Haggster66

vkk178

Feb 6, 2012
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE

No official updates as yet. I am trying out the India soak test update which works for dual SIM . I updated it just before travelling i.e. was on roaming with both SIMS working. The signal quality on one of the SIMs which was used for data was not that good and hence I can't gauge battery life conclusively .I never got 3G while on roaming and in-spite of that the battery life was very bad while on roaming .Looks like I need to spend more time while not on roaming and a few charge cycles .

Switching between apps seems slightly better .

Update 1 : Standby drain seems worse .. Over night 9% drop in 6 hours with mobile data/wifi switched off :(

Update 2 : Bad battery drain and data connectivity dropping very frequently :mad: .Wiping cache again and trying . Never had this kind of drain and signal drops 2-3 days back before applying the OTA .

Update 3 : Same problem . After few minutes I loose H+ symbol and I have to toggle airplane mode to get it back .. Also looks like the device doesn't drop to 3G mode while turning off screen .

Update 4: Cleared cache again. Works much better. Though I feel it doesn't reconnect to data as quickly as in 5.0.2 . It sometimes requires a switch to airplane mode to get data working.Little more fluid compared to 5.0.2 but not that significant .

Last edited:

pgcristyan

Jul 7, 2013
Bucharest
My phone is quite stable under 5.1. Definitely improved in the performance department. Battery life is more or less the same. No other problems.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since it seems you guys are having some doubts, I'll try to make this 5.1 update thing as clear as possible. I am currently running it on my XT1032 which was GPe 5.1 base before, so here it is:

First of all - what you'll need:

Motorola device manager for the drivers, or check here if you want them without the manager.

mfastboot-adb and related files http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3010160&d=1415723529

retail br firmware 5.0.2 - mirror

5.1 ota - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05KOFwx05vaSkhWQ1BLb2FGSFE/edit

Download all four and extract the mfastboot and the retail firm files on the same folder. You can move the ota into the internal storage after flashing the firmware, since it's going to wipe your storage clean.

Now, about where you're standing before flashing this - if you were on 5.1 gpe base like me, bootloader should be 41.19 and you can flash the retail firm with the usual steps, no harm done (it will downgrade your boot to 41.18 and then the ota will update it without any issues to 41.1a)

If you are already on the latest 41.1a bootloader, I suggest you skip some steps when flashing the retail firmware, like I did when I flashed gpe.

So, let's get to it. Reboot the device in bootloader mode, open a cmd in the folder with the mfastboot and the firmware files, and type this if your bootloader is not 41.1a but an older one (like 41.19):

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    This'll leave you in retail br firmware 5.0.2, everything wiped (you have been warned), and with a 41.18 boot. Now, you can either wait for the ota, or reboot in recovery mode (to enter it, hold power button for about three secs, then press vol up button) and apply it via adb or sdcard (flashing takes some time, don't worry).

Now, if you have the latest 41.1a, here's what I would do (bear in mind this is experimental and I have not tried this method):

mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    Chances are you will now be at 5.0.2 firm and the only 'issue' you're going to face is the screen flickering one (and maybe not even that); apply the ota or wait for it. Should have no problems with the boot or gpt when flashing it.

Last but not least, here are the commands I used to make a factory reset once I got to 5.1:

mfastboot erase cache
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot reboot
    Again, everything takes some time to boot after done, so don't panic. Also, afaik this is only for xt1032, and that's also the device I own, but if you try and succeed on other variants do tell.

And thanks to the authors from which I have gathered either info or links, none of this is mine. Good luck!
    Latest rumors are that 5.1.1 for Moto G 1st gen would be released by end of June. This thread is created to track news about 5.1.1 and future issues with this release .

EDIT :
    Looks like we are getting the 5.1 and not 5.1.1 as thought .
    India Soak test available here Link .I think it should be the same for Asia
    FYI, Motorola just released the 5.1.1 kernel source for falcon (1st gen Moto G) here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/tree/lollipop-5.1.1-release-falcon

I always thought they usually released kernel sources way after the OTAs, but I guess not in this case. Either way, it must be ready to go.

That is pretty big news actually. I believe the other generation moto g's (not the latest ones) only had 5.1, so this probably confirms we are getting 5.1.1 which is great!
    FYI, Motorola just released the 5.1.1 kernel source for falcon (1st gen Moto G) here: https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/tree/lollipop-5.1.1-release-falcon

I always thought they usually released kernel sources way after the OTAs, but I guess not in this case. Either way, it must be ready to go.
    I got an email 2-3 days from Motorola back asking me to register to soak test a new ROM update for my Indian XT1033 Moto G.
    I'm on CM 12.1, so I didn't bother replying to the mail.
    Have patience, our XT1033's are going to receive an update pretty soon.