Stock firmwares for Kindle Fire HDX (Thor-Apollo)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Dang it, I brought it to work thinking I can work on it but work's AV won't let me run the HDX toolkit. Where can I get the customized 3.2.8?
Question - do you have a Thor (7") or Apollo (8.9"). If Apollo you can snag a customized 3.2.8 image from here. Unfortunately, a version does not exist for Thor. I will reach out to @ggow who produced the Apollo variant to see if one can be prepared. Might have to wait a bit.

Edit: Looks like early next week for the Thor variant (13.3.2.8).

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Oh sorry, I have the 7" Thor.
Check back in a few days for an update.

Be aware newer SS flashable images (including the one being prepared) do not have OTA blocked. You need to keep Airplane mode engaged ('ON') to prevent an update from streaming in which will result in an unrecoverable brick. Go back an read that again; lots of folks forget this simple step and accidentally trash their device. The brick risk exists for devices that were rolled back to 3.2.8 by Amazon or using the captured 3.2.8 OTA update file posted in another thread.

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
Sure, I don't think I have to worry about OTA since I had Amazon manually downgrade me. My device is probably blacklisted from receiving any updates but I'll have airplane mode on anyways. I'm fine with taking the risk, I'm no rush, JB works fine for what I use the tab for. I'm just a geek who always wants to have the newest supported stuff...

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Sure, I don't think I have to worry about OTA since I had Amazon manually downgrade me. My device is probably blacklisted from receiving any updates but I'll have airplane mode on anyways. I'm fine with taking the risk, I'm no rush, JB works fine for what I use the tab for. I'm just a geek who always wants to have the newest supported stuff...
Yep - you're probably right as the block appears to happen at Amazon's end (only for those downgraded by Amazon). But the consequence of an OTA is grave - especially for those rocking 8.9" devices...expensive little devils! It is possible the device may still communicate with Amazon and potentially trigger an OTA following the installation of a different 3.2.8 variant. Airplane mode should protect you from that.

muunkin

Sep 4, 2015
So I'm looking to try out the newer roms for this device(Nexus v4, cm11). Right now on my thor device, I am running the nexus v1.01 rom(from secondary slot with stock still installed in the stock slot), root access, with safestrap v3.75 and firmware v13.3.2.4. After doing some reading across a number of threads I think I have a handle on what I need to do to accomplish this but I just want to make sure I have it right/in the right order and since gqukyo appears to be looking to do a similar thing to me(posted on the previous page) I figured this would be an ok place to ask.

If I have it right, it looks what I need to do is remove nexus v1.01 from secondary slot, uninstall safestrap, update to firmware 4.5.2, then re-root, install safestrap v4, and then install nexus v4 in the stock slot. Do I have this right and in the right order? Also the note in the OP of this thread about needing to be on 3.2.5 or above only applies to using the 4.5.5 firmware, correct? As in I do not need to first update to 3.2.5, to then update to 4.5.2. I can just update from 3.2.4 straight to 4.5.2?

I'd appreciate any help before I start. Let me know if I'm missing any steps here or have something wrong.

Thanks.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So I'm looking to try out the newer roms for this device(Nexus v4, cm11). Right now on my thor device, I am running the nexus v1.01 rom(from secondary slot with stock still installed in the stock slot), root access, with safestrap v3.75 and firmware v13.3.2.4. After doing some reading across a number of threads I think I have a handle on what I need to do to accomplish this but I just want to make sure I have it right/in the right order and since gqukyo appears to be looking to do a similar thing to me(posted on the previous page) I figured this would be an ok place to ask.

If I have it right, it looks what I need to do is remove nexus v1.01 from secondary slot, uninstall safestrap, update to firmware 4.5.2, then re-root, install safestrap v4, and then install nexus v4 in the stock slot. Do I have this right and in the right order? Also the note in the OP of this thread about needing to be on 3.2.5 or above only applies to using the 4.5.5 firmware, correct? As in I do not need to first update to 3.2.5, to then update to 4.5.2. I can just update from 3.2.4 straight to 4.5.2?

I'd appreciate any help before I start. Let me know if I'm missing any steps here or have something wrong.

Thanks.
Thanks for checking. You actually have two options, the first of which is preferable:
1) Rollback to 3.1.0, install TWRP, unlock bootloader and then flash HDX rom of your choice (presently Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 (two flavors) or FireOS v4). An unlocked bootloader opens the door to a wider array of roms and significantly improved recovery capability should something go wrong.
2) Update to 4.5.2 (via 3.2.6), root, block OTA, install Safestrap followed by either Nexus v4 or CM11. This route is more expeditious but only supports a limited (albeit solid) suite of roms. Be aware once your device advances past 3.2.6 there is no going back.

Regardless, you will need to uninstall Safestrap v3 following the procedure you outlined. I suggest making a backup of your Nexus v2 slot from SS recovery and storing that off-device should you need/want to return to it at future time.

Note that your situation and @gqukyo's are a bit different as s/he does not have a rollback/unlock option starting from FireOS 3.2.8.

Another user asked a similar question in another forum. I plan to whip up a set if instructions next week. If you can wait that long I'd be happy to include you on the post.

Reactions: muunkin

muunkin

Sep 4, 2015
Thanks for checking. You actually have two options, the first of which is preferable:
1) Rollback to 3.1.0, install TWRP, unlock bootloader and then flash HDX rom of your choice (presently Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 (two flavors) or FireOS v4). An unlocked bootloader opens the door to a wider array of roms and significantly improved recovery capability should something go wrong.
2) Update to 4.5.2 (via 3.2.6), root, block OTA, install Safestrap followed by either Nexus v4 or CM11. This route is more expeditious but only supports a limited (albeit solid) suite of roms. Be aware once your device advances past 3.2.6 there is no going back.

Regardless, you will need to uninstall Safestrap v3 following the procedure you outlined. I suggest making a backup of your Nexus v2 slot from SS recovery and storing that off-device should you need/want to return to it at future time.

Note that your situation and @gqukyo's are a bit different as s/he does not have a rollback/unlock option starting from FireOS 3.2.8.

Another user asked a similar question in another forum. I plan to whip up a set if instructions next week. If you can wait that long I'd be happy to include you on the post.

Thanks for the response. If you're working on some instructions, that sounds great. I'm in no rush. Nexus v1.01 has been pretty great so far so I can wait another week or so :)

I wasn't sure if I could unlock the bootloader on my device but if that's an option I'd definitely like to check that out. So I'll duck out and do some more reading and wait for your instructional.

Cheers!

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the response. If you're working on some instructions, that sounds great. I'm in no rush. Nexus v1.01 has been pretty great so far so I can wait another week or so :)

I wasn't sure if I could unlock the bootloader on my device but if that's an option I'd definitely like to check that out. So I'll duck out and do some more reading and wait for your instructional.

Cheers!
@muunkin - I had hoped to pull together a quick guide but life priorities have set a different agenda (sorry). Have a look here for direction. I chose this thread as it is relatively recent and mirrors you situation. As a side note @Cl4ncy is excellent; you won't go wrong following his lead.

Feel free to post questions and you move through the process; lots of folks willing to help. Never 'guess' or follow an uncertain path as some of the steps are dangerous and can leave you with an unrecoverable device (brick). Others are frustratingly confusing. Again, many kind souls monitoring these forums are happy to lend a hand if you have exhausted your resources. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Oh sorry, I have the 7" Thor.

Check back in a few days for an update.

Be aware newer SS flashable images (including the one being prepared) do not have OTA blocked. You need to keep Airplane mode engaged ('ON') to prevent an update from streaming in which will result in an unrecoverable brick. Go back an read that again; lots of folks forget this simple step and accidentally trash their device. The brick risk exists for devices that were rolled back to 3.2.8 by Amazon or using the captured 3.2.8 OTA update file posted in another thread.
@gqukyo - I have not forgotten. Once the appropriate firmware is posted I will link you to that and other posts/threads that outline the process of going from 3.2.8 to 4.5.2 and ultimately a Kitkat based rom (utilizing Safestrap v4). Sorry for the delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: gqukyo and Cl4ncy

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015

Cheers!
As @Davey126 pointed out check this thread, as you're on 3.2.4 as well you can use the rollback images like @sykarian. Read through the info there, and also the linked threads. If you've further questions post there, too. So we'd avoid further posting in the stock firmware thread here. ;)

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
@Davey126 no rush at all. Greatly appreciate the help. Not sure if you're in the USA but if so, just enjoy the holiday weekend first!

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
Not sure if this was mentioned, but what do I do if I want to un root and go back to a normal version of fire os after getting 4.5.2 from here? Do I just factory reset?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Not sure if this was mentioned, but what do I do if I want to un root and go back to a normal version of fire os after getting 4.5.2 from here? Do I just factory reset?
Do NOT do a factory reset! Fastest path to a world of hurt. Amazon's 'factory reset' is really just a data erase but assumes a pure system environment which may not be the case after being rooted. Assuming minimal modifications to the OS, no gapps and no Safestrap the safest approach IMO is to simply remove the OTA block and allow your device to naturally update to whatever version of FireOS Amazon is pushing. If those prerequisites aren't met then you'll need provide more specifics if/when you decide to 'go stock' for the best guidance.

Reactions: Giraffackle

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
Do NOT do a factory reset! Fastest path to a world of hurt. Amazon's 'factory reset' is really just a data erase but assumes a pure system environment which may not be the case after being rooted. Assuming minimal modifications to the OS, no gapps and no Safestrap the safest approach IMO is to simply remove the OTA block and allow your device to naturally update to whatever version of FireOS Amazon is pushing. If those prerequisites aren't met then you'll need provide more specifics if/when you decide to 'go stock' for the best guidance.

So basically, this is the process I've gone through. I have rolled back to 3.2.8 from 4.5.5 and installed 4.5.2. I then rooted with this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59156161&postcount=56
After that, I followed this guide to install GApps: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/tut-disable-ota-4-5-2-install-gapps-t3043550

Now I don't want to go back right now, but I just want to know how to do it if I ever need to.

Thanks! :)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So basically, this is the process I've gone through. I have rolled back to 3.2.8 from 4.5.5 and installed 4.5.2. I then rooted with this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59156161&postcount=56
After that, I followed this guide to install GApps: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/tut-disable-ota-4-5-2-install-gapps-t3043550

Now I don't want to go back right now, but I just want to know how to do it if I ever need to.

Thanks! :)
There is no clean answer. Once GApps in installed all bets are off. That said, removing the OTA and allowing your device to update 'naturally' probably remains the best path. I would not attempt to uninstall GApps as this seems to lead to more problems (or those who have tried it did not have a complete understanding of what needed to be done).

Safestrap v4 and a different rom (Nexus v4 or CM11) remain viable alternatives should you find the need to update your current environment. That said, if everything is working to your satisfaction don't mess with it.

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
There is no clean answer. Once GApps in installed all bets are off. That said, removing the OTA and allowing your device to update 'naturally' probably remains the best path. I would not attempt to uninstall GApps as this seems to lead to more problems (or those who have tried it did not have a complete understanding of what needed to be done).

Safestrap v4 and a different rom (Nexus v4 or CM11) remain viable alternatives should you find the need to update your current environment. That said, if everything is working to your satisfaction don't mess with it.

So if I were to unroot with SuperSU, and enable OTA again so it updates. I can't factory reset? Is there no way to getting it back to the default system?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So if I were to unroot with SuperSU, and enable OTA again so it updates. I can't factory reset? Is there no way to getting it back to the default system?
Already addressed factory resets in a previous post. I assume you questioning if can you return to a 'clean' 4.5.2 vs the version delivered via OTA. Thoughts:
- rollback to 3.2.8 then upgrade to 4.5.2
- install Safestrap v4, flash customized version of 4.5.2 to the stock slot and then remove Safestrap
Both choices involve work and some level of risk. As I said before, if everything is working to your satisfaction leave it alone.

Reactions: Giraffackle

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
Already addressed factory resets in a previous post. I assume you questioning if can you return to a 'clean' 4.5.2 vs the version delivered via OTA. Thoughts:
- install Safestrap v4, flash customized version of 4.5.2 to the stock slot and then remove Safestrap
Both choices involve work and some level of risk. As I said before, if everything is working to your satisfaction leave it alone.

So when I rollback to 3.2.8, the gapps aren't actually removed by the factory reset? I am having some issues with the gapps and I'd rather go back to how it was. Can I flash a normal version of 4.5.2 and then ota to the latest, or does OTA not work after that. I'm a noob at this stuff so I don't fully understand how it works.
Thanks so far for all of the help :)

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Would this work to revert back to complete default? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582773

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
So when I rollback to 3.2.8, the gapps aren't actually removed by the factory reset? I am having some issues with the gapps and I'd rather go back to how it was. Can I flash a normal version of 4.5.2 and then ota to the latest, or does OTA not work after that. I'm a noob at this stuff so I don't fully understand how it works.
Thanks so far for all of the help :)
If you are new to Android/Kindles I suggest you remove the OTA block and allow your device up upgrade. If you do that now your device will update to FireOS 4.5.5 which can later be rolled back to 4.5.2 (via 3.2.8; no direct path to 4.5.2) if you want to try root again.

Nothing stopping you from installing Safestrap v4 and a different rom right now.

Unfortunately, I no longer provide assistance with 3.2.8 rollbacks given the risks. Many people do navigate through the process but many end up with bad outcomes. There are several others who are willing to help with v4->v3 rollbacks; I'm sure one of them will jump in if that is the path you want to pursue.

Good luck.

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
If you are new to Android/Kindles I suggest you remove the OTA block and allow your device up upgrade. If you do that now your device will update to FireOS 4.5.5 which can later be rolled back to 4.5.2 (via 3.2.8; no direct path to 4.5.2) if you want to try root again.

Nothing stopping you from installing Safestrap v4 and a different rom right now.

Unfortunately, I no longer provide assistance with 3.2.8 rollbacks given the risks. Many people do navigate through the process but many end up with bad outcomes. There are several others who are willing to help with v4->v3 rollbacks; I'm sure one of them will jump in if that is the path you want to pursue.

Good luck.

I thought that the OTA would brick the device? I have no interest in rooting this thing anymore, I want to go back to standard Fire OS with nothing else (like the gapps). If I allow OTA, will it go to 4.5.5 and remove everything that was installed? I'm a little confused. Sorry to annoy you with so many questions.

Top Liked Posts