Nexus 10 Microphone / alternatives?

Search This thread

thegrantonstarcause

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

I've had a lot of trouble with the in-built microphone in the Nexus 10. Whether using Skype, Hangouts or other VOIP apps the sound is best described as muffled as if I am in a large room and a distance from the microphone. I through at first my case may have been covering the microphone but removing it has not effect. Then I found https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42263. Unfortunately, there seems to be no solution. Has anyone had any luck improving microphone quality or getting Android to switch the default microphone?

Failing that, are there any decent substitutes? Do generic usb or bluetooth headsets work?

Thanks,

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
Hi,

I've had a lot of trouble with the in-built microphone in the Nexus 10. Whether using Skype, Hangouts or other VOIP apps the sound is best described as muffled as if I am in a large room and a distance from the microphone. I through at first my case may have been covering the microphone but removing it has not effect. Then I found https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42263. Unfortunately, there seems to be no solution. Has anyone had any luck improving microphone quality or getting Android to switch the default microphone?

Failing that, are there any decent substitutes? Do generic usb or bluetooth headsets work?

Thanks,

I have been having the same issues with my mic too. Really seems just like a bad design and placement. I was looking for some kind of app to some how boost the mic input, but there is none. I use a stereo Bluetooth for most of my needs but I always don't have it around. If you figure or anyone else does out any other type of fixes please post.

brooon

May 11, 2009
Yeah, I'm begging for a solution, too. This is just a damned stupid bug - and the fact that neither Google nor Samsung feels responsible for it is just sad.

Injek

Feb 2, 2013
We are in the same boat people. Maybe this could be resolved using custom kernels?
Could anyone please have a look into this? I'd be infinitely grateful!

thorYorak

Sep 8, 2015
Downgrade

I had this same horrible microphone quality in Skype problem with Lollipop 5.1 on my Nexus 10. A factory reset didn't help.

The answer: Downgrading to Kitkat 4.4.4 from the Android Developer's blog. Perfect microphone quality after that.

Not a great solution, but works until Lollipop is fixed.