New to Touch2 ROMs? Read this first please.

Search This thread

yellowfever

Mar 25, 2009
Frankfurt
This post is supposed to help everyone who is new to Touch2, or at least new to Touch2 custom ROMs, and ROM flashing in general. If you have answers very to very general questions that might be missing here, please let me know in a reply. (Maybe this will eventually end up in the Wiki as well, there is no Touch2 section as of now)

1. What devices is this part of the XDA-Developers forum about?
This Area is all about the HTC Touch2. HTC's code name for it is MEGA. It also has a model number, which is T3333. Here is the specification at the HTC website. It looks like this:
HTC%20Mega:%20Touch2.gif

Beware: There are other devices with similar names, like for example Touch PRO2 or Touch Dual. These are different devices, and have their own forums. Please do NOT use anything from the Touch2 for those other devices, it may "brick" (destroy) your device.

2. How do I identify my Touch2
First of all: If it doesn't look exactly like the picture above, it is not a Touch2. To be sure, shut down your device, open the rear cover, remove the battery. There it should say HTC Touch2 T3333.
You can also check on your device in System - Device Information - Identity. The Model No. should be HTC Touch2 T3333.

3. Touch2 Special Edition / T3320 / India Model
There is a Special Edition of the Touch2 with the Model Number T3320. It seems to be sold mainly in India, and does not have GPS or 3G (just GSM). It seems the Touch2 ROMs work OK (after HardSPL, see below) on both models, with GPS and 3G obviously not working on the T3320.

4. Why would I care about changing my ROM?
There are many reasons, but here are some of the most relevant:
- If you want a different language (some ROMs have selectable languages, but many don't, and officially you can not change the language of your device)
- If you want to have the newest Windows Mobile 6.5.5 instead of the standard 6.5
- If you want a "light" ROM, with many applications etc. removed, but more space
- If you enjoy tweaking your device, playing with it, etc.

Note: If you are fine with English as the language, but need a special keyboard and support for special characters for example in SMS, then there might not be a need for flashing another ROM. For example Arabic and Russian input is available here for install. No new ROM and no HardSPL necessary, changes can be undone by hard resetting. Other languages might be available as well, please search this forum.

5. What's the risk in changing my ROM?
First of all you have a little risk of bricking (destroying) your device when you do the HardSPL (see below what that is). When flashing ROMs there should be very little risk involved. You can also always go back to the original ROMs. If your ROM language/version (T-Mobile etc.) is not available for download (see this thread), then you might want to dump it first for backup (see this thread).

Apart from that are warranty issues. The place where you bought your Touch2 might or might not be willing to do warranty repairs if you messed with your phone's ROM. Of course, you can always flash back the original ROM (or your backup), and also flash back the original SPL. In this case it would be hard to get no warranty, if you didn't destroy anything else by yourself.

6. Before you can flash a new ROM: HSPL / HardSPL
Normally you can only flash original ("Stock") ROMs that are meant for your device. If you have a standard Touch2, then these are the ROMs directly from HTC. These phones, which have no brand name by some telecom company (like T-Mobile, Orange, ...), are called "unbranded" phones. If you have a branded phone, then you can only flash the ROMs provided by your telecom company. If you try to flash anything else, it will either show an error message, or you even might risk bricking (destroying) your device. Think of the SPL as the piece of software that starts first when you turn on the Touch2. There is a security lock in there, which prevents custom ROMs or other language ROMs to be flashed. There is, however, a modified SPL made by the XDA-developers user jockyw2001. It is called HardSPL or HSPL, and allows you to flash basically whatever you want. (Note: There might be some restrictions still, I am not sure - someone might want to give more info in case certain ROMs like Russian need more than just HSPL)

To change your SPL to HardSPL, please go to the first post of this thread and follow the directions there very carefully. There are lots of small hints what you can do to make it work, even if it doesn't work at first.

7. Checking your SPL version: SPL Tri-Color boot screen
Turn on (or reset) while you keep the "volume down" key pressed. You will see a screen like this:

If you have changed your SPL to HardSPL successfully, this screen will say SPL-1.28.Hard

8. Where to get ROMs

To get stock (HTC standard) ROMs in other languages, visit the Mega - ROM - Hotfix - User Manual - roll-up thread

Or check http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Mega/ or http://htcpedia.com/soft/mega-touch2-rom.html

For user-built custom ROMs, check out the many threads in this part of XDA Developers

Finally, you might want to create ("cook") your own ROMs. You will have to learn a lot... osKitchen supports MEGA, and Chef Central has lots of resources. Good luck!

Here some newbie info on starting to build ROMs from fktsndr:

9. How to flash a ROM
Please go to the first post of this thread, there is a custom ROM flash utility attached at the bottom of the first post. You can also download it with this direct link. If that one doesn't work for you, DrJason pointed out that the utility in this post works OK as well, also under Vista.

You basically need to do these steps:

(Connect the phone to your Windows PC with the USB cable, you need to have Active Sync set up and connected to your phone)

1. Apply HardSPL (Number 6 above) and check that it was successful (Number 7 above)
2. Restart the phone and boot normally
3. Copy the ROM file (nbh file) into the same directory as the ROM update utility
4. Run romupdateutility.exe and follow the instructions on the screen
5. After flashing is complete, do a hard reset (Number 10 below)

Note: Alternatively some people had success flashing from an SD card, where you don't need an PC connection. The card must be FAT32 formatted and less than 4GB total capacity. Rename the ROM (".nbh" file) to "PB74IMG.nbh", copy to your card, switch off phone, hold volume down and press power button, then continue according to the instructions on the display.

10. How to fix many issues: Hard Reset / Recovery
To reset your Touch2 completely you can do a hard reset. This sets everything back to the currently flashed ROM's defaults, so you should do it after every new ROM you flash. Caution! That means all of your settings, programs, SMS, phonebook (unless on your SIM), messages, modifications, etc., will get lost! So do a backup first. (See number 11 below)
Turn on (or reset) while you keep the both volume buttons pressed. A screen will appear asking you to press "volume up" to do the hard reset, or any other key to cancel it.

11. How to backup some stuff
For Appointments, Call Logs, Contacts, SMS & Messages (no MMS!), Speed Dials, Tasks etc. you can use "PIM Backup" which you can find in this thread.
Another way to backup for example contacts is to synchronize with a program on your PC like Outlook.

Last edited:

Gothik

Apr 11, 2010
Lahore
learned something new today. downloaded wwe Asia ship(2) 1.32.729.3(72483), one that the model number of your phone is known by the firmware. my t3333 changed into t3320 :/. for guys looking for stock English roms, this is no go.

Weatherlights

Jan 7, 2010
Question

Hi!

Thank you for this thread.

I have a question. You wrote that you need the HSPL cause a branded Phone blocks custom roms. How about an unbranded phone?

Last edited:

fktsndr

Jun 18, 2007
Hi!

Thank you for this thread.

I have a question. You wrote that you need the HSPL cause a branded Phone blocks custom roms. How about an unbranded phone?

Not just branded phones, you can not install wwe rom to italian device,you can not install WWE rom to asian wwe device, etc.

If there is an error during flash (hard drive fail, blackout), your device wont be a brick, you can step to bootloader and flash again.

So the best way to install hard-spl, and you can do anything;)

Last edited:

gabrielmihai

May 23, 2009
Bucharest
Upgrade or instal a new ROM

Hi yellowfeaver,
I find your review very good and clear.
But I have just one question:
Is there a possibilities to upgrade or install a new ROM in my Mega under the Windows 7 ultimate x 64?
Everything I'll try, evan the hard SPL, it give me an error.
Is an incompatibilities with this OS, is necessary to install a x86 version of Windows 7, or this kind of problem is for all x64 Windows OS?
Thanks in advance and for your advice,
Best regards,

Gothik

Apr 11, 2010
Lahore
ok guys any one answering it?

imo if active sync or w.e comes pre installed with win7 workd and detects your mega, then everything should go fine. but of course i don't even recommend win7 for his. goto someone with win xp and get it done.

gabrielmihai

May 23, 2009
Bucharest
Win 7x64

Hi Gothic,
As I say the x64 of Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1( for Windows 7 x64) does not recognized my Mega for HSPL and ROM's. Is working well for files transfer, internet share etc
Before I've installed the x64 version on my PC, with HTC Artemis I was able to do everything - HSPL, the new ROM's, file transfer etc - but I never used for Mega because at that time it wasn't an HSPL for Mega. Meanwhile I installed the x64 Windows 7 OS and I couldn't use this OS for Artemis and I realized that for Mega also.
Because are two versions of Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 ( x86 and x64 ) and in Windows 7 x64 is already created the x86 directory for this kind of applications I will give a try to the version x86. Why not?
I'll be back with a result.
Thanks anyway for your answer,
Best regards

gabrielmihai

May 23, 2009
Bucharest
HardSPL finally done

Hi,
Thanks for your help.
The solution it was to change one registry in to the WM. Thanks to jockyw2001 for his HSPL and all developers who search for the solutions.
"still doesn't work look up this registry key in the phone:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\EXT_FLASHDRV]
Change the value "Dll" from "OEM_FLASHDRV.dll" to "OEM_FLASHDRVXXX.dll" and reboot the device. After rebooting into WM and after activesync is ready run flash-hardspl.bat . Check in tricolour bootloader screen if it is installed and then boot again into WM and change the registry value back to its old value
."
Best Regards,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post is supposed to help everyone who is new to Touch2, or at least new to Touch2 custom ROMs, and ROM flashing in general. If you have answers very to very general questions that might be missing here, please let me know in a reply. (Maybe this will eventually end up in the Wiki as well, there is no Touch2 section as of now)

1. What devices is this part of the XDA-Developers forum about?
    This Area is all about the HTC Touch2. HTC's code name for it is MEGA. It also has a model number, which is T3333. Here is the specification at the HTC website. It looks like this:
    HTC%20Mega:%20Touch2.gif

Beware: There are other devices with similar names, like for example Touch PRO2 or Touch Dual. These are different devices, and have their own forums. Please do NOT use anything from the Touch2 for those other devices, it may "brick" (destroy) your device.

2. How do I identify my Touch2
    First of all: If it doesn't look exactly like the picture above, it is not a Touch2. To be sure, shut down your device, open the rear cover, remove the battery. There it should say HTC Touch2 T3333.
    You can also check on your device in System - Device Information - Identity. The Model No. should be HTC Touch2 T3333.

3. Touch2 Special Edition / T3320 / India Model
    There is a Special Edition of the Touch2 with the Model Number T3320. It seems to be sold mainly in India, and does not have GPS or 3G (just GSM). It seems the Touch2 ROMs work OK (after HardSPL, see below) on both models, with GPS and 3G obviously not working on the T3320.

4. Why would I care about changing my ROM?
    There are many reasons, but here are some of the most relevant:
    - If you want a different language (some ROMs have selectable languages, but many don't, and officially you can not change the language of your device)
    - If you want to have the newest Windows Mobile 6.5.5 instead of the standard 6.5
    - If you want a "light" ROM, with many applications etc. removed, but more space
    - If you enjoy tweaking your device, playing with it, etc.

Note: If you are fine with English as the language, but need a special keyboard and support for special characters for example in SMS, then there might not be a need for flashing another ROM. For example Arabic and Russian input is available here for install. No new ROM and no HardSPL necessary, changes can be undone by hard resetting. Other languages might be available as well, please search this forum.

5. What's the risk in changing my ROM?
    First of all you have a little risk of bricking (destroying) your device when you do the HardSPL (see below what that is). When flashing ROMs there should be very little risk involved. You can also always go back to the original ROMs. If your ROM language/version (T-Mobile etc.) is not available for download (see this thread), then you might want to dump it first for backup (see this thread).

Apart from that are warranty issues. The place where you bought your Touch2 might or might not be willing to do warranty repairs if you messed with your phone's ROM. Of course, you can always flash back the original ROM (or your backup), and also flash back the original SPL. In this case it would be hard to get no warranty, if you didn't destroy anything else by yourself.

6. Before you can flash a new ROM: HSPL / HardSPL
    Normally you can only flash original ("Stock") ROMs that are meant for your device. If you have a standard Touch2, then these are the ROMs directly from HTC. These phones, which have no brand name by some telecom company (like T-Mobile, Orange, ...), are called "unbranded" phones. If you have a branded phone, then you can only flash the ROMs provided by your telecom company. If you try to flash anything else, it will either show an error message, or you even might risk bricking (destroying) your device. Think of the SPL as the piece of software that starts first when you turn on the Touch2. There is a security lock in there, which prevents custom ROMs or other language ROMs to be flashed. There is, however, a modified SPL made by the XDA-developers user jockyw2001. It is called HardSPL or HSPL, and allows you to flash basically whatever you want. (Note: There might be some restrictions still, I am not sure - someone might want to give more info in case certain ROMs like Russian need more than just HSPL)

To change your SPL to HardSPL, please go to the first post of this thread and follow the directions there very carefully. There are lots of small hints what you can do to make it work, even if it doesn't work at first.

7. Checking your SPL version: SPL Tri-Color boot screen
    Turn on (or reset) while you keep the "volume down" key pressed. You will see a screen like this:

If you have changed your SPL to HardSPL successfully, this screen will say SPL-1.28.Hard

8. Where to get ROMs

To get stock (HTC standard) ROMs in other languages, visit the Mega - ROM - Hotfix - User Manual - roll-up thread

Or check http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Mega/ or http://htcpedia.com/soft/mega-touch2-rom.html

For user-built custom ROMs, check out the many threads in this part of XDA Developers

Finally, you might want to create ("cook") your own ROMs. You will have to learn a lot... osKitchen supports MEGA, and Chef Central has lots of resources. Good luck!

Here some newbie info on starting to build ROMs from fktsndr:

9. How to flash a ROM
    Please go to the first post of this thread, there is a custom ROM flash utility attached at the bottom of the first post. You can also download it with this direct link. If that one doesn't work for you, DrJason pointed out that the utility in this post works OK as well, also under Vista.

You basically need to do these steps:

(Connect the phone to your Windows PC with the USB cable, you need to have Active Sync set up and connected to your phone)

1. Apply HardSPL (Number 6 above) and check that it was successful (Number 7 above)
    2. Restart the phone and boot normally
    3. Copy the ROM file (nbh file) into the same directory as the ROM update utility
    4. Run romupdateutility.exe and follow the instructions on the screen
    5. After flashing is complete, do a hard reset (Number 10 below)

Note: Alternatively some people had success flashing from an SD card, where you don't need an PC connection. The card must be FAT32 formatted and less than 4GB total capacity. Rename the ROM (".nbh" file) to "PB74IMG.nbh", copy to your card, switch off phone, hold volume down and press power button, then continue according to the instructions on the display.

10. How to fix many issues: Hard Reset / Recovery
    To reset your Touch2 completely you can do a hard reset. This sets everything back to the currently flashed ROM's defaults, so you should do it after every new ROM you flash. Caution! That means all of your settings, programs, SMS, phonebook (unless on your SIM), messages, modifications, etc., will get lost! So do a backup first. (See number 11 below)
    Turn on (or reset) while you keep the both volume buttons pressed. A screen will appear asking you to press "volume up" to do the hard reset, or any other key to cancel it.

11. How to backup some stuff
    For Appointments, Call Logs, Contacts, SMS & Messages (no MMS!), Speed Dials, Tasks etc. you can use "PIM Backup" which you can find in this thread.
    Another way to backup for example contacts is to synchronize with a program on your PC like Outlook.