• Nexus 10

Votes: 20 4.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dr.Sahnebacke

Jan 12, 2014
Leipzig
wait and hope

The method has changed. Apps can be updated to be able to work with the external card through the Document Provider. EZ-PDF Reader is an example of one that has been updated. In this app, there is an option "open from document provider". When used, it can get a document from the external card and save it back. The first time you see the Document Provider page, you need to go into the settings page and click on 'Display Advanced Devices'. After that, any updated app will be able to access files with write access on the card.

Quick Office from Google also can do this.

Best thing to do is write to creators to get them to move to the new method, or look for comparable apps that have been updated.

For a file manager, ES File Explorer seems to work in kitkat.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Ok, I wrote yesterday a mail to the developer from "photo editor" and wait now for an answer.
Thank you.

Dr.Sahnebacke

Jan 12, 2014
Leipzig
it's getting not better

Ok, I wrote yesterday a mail to the developer from "photo editor" and wait now for an answer.
Thank you.

Here is it:

KitKat prevents user-installed applications from writing to storage locations other than "Main Storage".
This restrictions was added by Google to Android 4.4 KitKat and affects all installed applications except those installed by Google, your device manufacturer, and your cellular carrier.
So, it is not possible to fix this in user-installed application.
To solve this problem, you need to ROOT the phone.
I am sorry that I can't help you.

Best Regards,
dev.macgyver

Last edited:

starbuckk

Nov 20, 2011
Here is it:

KitKat prevents user-installed applications from writing to storage locations other than "Main Storage".
This restrictions was added by Google to Android 4.4 KitKat and affects all installed applications except those installed by Google, your device manufacturer, and your cellular carrier.
So, it is not possible to fix this in user-installed application.
To solve this problem, you need to ROOT the phone.
I am sorry that I can't help you.

Best Regards,
dev.macgyver

It is doable as proven by ezPDF reader. Guess its not easy or well documented. Someone on another thread did tell me its not working on every device.

Dr.Sahnebacke

Jan 12, 2014
Leipzig
There is one point I dont understand right. Is the ability of the EZPDF reader the chance to give other apps write permissions? Or should several developers learn from this example, meaning, they could give their apps write permissions too in another update?

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8000 mit Tapatalk

starbuckk

Nov 20, 2011
They should follow the example of ezPDF and QuickOffice. These apps use the Document Provider to retrieve files. This appears to be a bridge between apps and cloud providers to retrieve documents for editing.
On the Galaxy S4 at least, it also does this for the SD card if the Advanced Devices switch is turned on. Someone told me this may be OEM dependent. Not sure about that. The developers need to read up on Storage Access Framework. I believe that covers this approach.

sbdanish911

Oct 7, 2013
chakwal
Top Status Bar

Hey everyone i searched the forums but no one seems to be affected be the presence of top status bar in the new 4.4.2 kitkat update...:p
i seriously don't like it at top i has a phone for that and dont want it on my tablet. :p
so can any boody tell me is it possible to have the status bar moved to bottom just as it was in jellybean.

starbuckk

Nov 20, 2011
Probably have to root to do this.

I'm guessing it was moved to the top because of the problem of it popping up a lot when using snote or other handwriting programs. This is quite annoying so I'm glad it is being moved.

However I do think more things need to be opened up to user options without needing root. Android is supposed to be a more open system yet the more advanced it becomes, the more it gets locked down. If I want a locked out uncustomizable phone I'd get an iPhone. Keep Android open!

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

sbdanish911

Oct 7, 2013
chakwal
Probably have to root to do this.

I'm guessing it was moved to the top because of the problem of it popping up a lot when using snote or other handwriting programs. This is quite annoying so I'm glad it is being moved.

However I do think more things need to be opened up to user options without needing root. Android is supposed to be a more open system yet the more advanced it becomes, the more it gets locked down. If I want a locked out uncustomizable phone I'd get an iPhone. Keep Android open!

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

Yeah thanks bro for quick answe ;)
Basically I don't use tablet much I just bought it for its appearwnce tha is status bar and nav bar fused ...:p
But again u are right that it pops up too much :p

sbdanish911

Oct 7, 2013
chakwal
Basially the tablet ui should be in settings i mean there should be an option to turn on tablet ui or the normal interface man not every one like that big giant droid...:p

Alaa Joseph

Nov 1, 2014
Mumbai
Kitkat rocks!

Actually, I didn't like my Note while it was on Jellybean 4.1.2
But now with Kitkat, I just feel like it's something else, not the old Note I owned...

This really rocks! :good:
The most amazing "new" feature in my opinion is the Full-Screen mode they've enabled.

ebroker

May 7, 2008
Horizontal Lines on Screen on Gray version

I realize this thread may be inactive, but wanted to try a question that has been bugging me... recently began buying Galaxy Note 10.1s on eBay... like the tab and have a 32gb Canadian N8010 and a 16gb US N8013 - both gray/black bezel as well as a white 16gb US N8013. When the screen is off, horizontal lines/ridges are visible on both gray/black bezel versions behind the screen when light is shining on the screen. The white version 16gb N8013 appears to have a blacker/darker screen and no such lines. I can't attest to the production year of these older models, but I beeline that they are all pre-2014.

I dont perceive a difference between the white and gray models when the screens are on but am curious about the seemingly different screen make ups when the specs indicate there should be no difference between the two 'models' (white vs gray).

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    total crap slow, unsecure no updates from Samsung still on ICS, screen looks cheap 149ppi only price to high for total rubbish!!! Not recommend will give for free. Will bet for Apple with retina display

Your posts make interesting reading .

jje
    I just got my note yesterday and I have to say that it's a pretty amazing and fast piece of tech. I'll come back to edit this review more as I use it (and receive my case so I can use it a little more roughly like I normally do).

So far:

Pros-
    Amazingly fast.
    No stutters (I had the original Transformer TF101.. which had lags sometimes).
    Sound is amazing (why don't other tablets have front speakers?).
    Wacom stylus is streets ahead of capacitive crap :)/ sorry adonit jot just doesn't cut it).
    Multi-tasking is awesome!

Cons-
    S-note is.. underwhelming. (But lecture notes was great!) Seriously wished s-note was better because I kind of like it.
    Multi-tasking is limited.. (although we get the Galaxy Note 2's multitasking abilities after we get jb right?)

EDIT:
    Just used this for class.. and doodling, amazing! It's like taking notes on paper, without the weight and fuss and ink and ****, and I can copy and paste stuff. Also, I used it in the crapper, and it's amazing for reddit and stuff because it won't crash from loading too many images. But the stylus is freaking fantastic! AHHHh! (BTW, LectureNotes is definitely worth it. I like Papyrus more than it in the beginning because Papyrus was easier to use, but LectureNotes' customizability is waaaaay worth the learning curve.)
    Check out this video, I think this is one of the best adds Samsung has ever come out with for this is among some of the best in the world

So, on my quest for the perfect android tablet, I found a nexus 10 at Wal-Mart and scooped it up. Yes, the screen is gorgeous, if a tad unsaturated. But, playing high stress games would make the cpu overheat and make the game turn in to a slide show. So it went back. Picked a Asus tf700, again, pretty screen. But I should have researched it more. It has a problem with it's memory being incredibly slow. Pull up a web page and it takes forever to load, and installing apps was agonizing. So back it went, and picked up a note 10.1, which I should have started with, since I have a note 2. Screen, compared to the Asus and nexus, is a bit grainy, but much more vibrant then those. Speed wise it seems every bit as fast as the nexus 10, but without all the horrible slowdown. I'm really enjoying it, and I think I found a keeper.
    The idea behind this thread is to have all reviews, opinions and feedback of note users collated under one roof.

This would make things simple for everyone easy to post opinions updates feedback, for those who look upon us before making a purchasing decision easier to find them.

I hope this is not take in a wrong way the whole idea is to get things organize so information is easier to find and not scattered around but not boss around or offend anyone.