By no_spam_for_me, Member on 21st October 2013, 03:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd October 2015, 02:53 AM |#191  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 29,927

Donate to Me
More
I finally found time to complete my (pretty tedious) task of benchmarking to improve the sdcard speeds of the MX Box and vetting the rest of the proposed tweaks I'd pulled in from other devices. I'm extremely pleased with the performance at this point. This is about a calendar year later than I'd hoped and I know many have likely moved on from this device by now, but mine's working great now so let's call it "one for the road."

I went back and started from scratch with my updated ramdisk base files, backported what I could script and binary-wise from Matricom's newer (1.1.6) kernel/recovery to improve TV support (especially A/V CRT). This time I modified as little of the ramdisk files as possible, instead putting all tweaks possible in /sbin/osbootscript.sh to keep everything centralized. As this is a total refresh (and many pages later) I'll redo the entire changelog over Matricom stock.

mtd4-recovery-g18ref-osmod:
http://v.ht/osmods -- https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/osm0sis/osmods/

Updated recovery recommended for use after you've got the device booting again from the "toothpick" sdcard restore method. Includes newer busybox files, remote and mouse control fixes, etc. backported from newer Matricom recovery versions. Flash using the instructions below ("recovery" partition).

mtd5-boot-g18ref-osmod2:

ramdisk changes:
- change mounting to via fstab to allow for tweaked mount options, improving filesystem I/O
- enable adb over TCP on boot, triggered by DHCP IP address assignment on eth0 or wlan0, and/or the new service.adb.tcp.enable property
- fix up broken permissions on a number of files allowing for proper tweaking of various sysfs entires
- leave scaling_max_freq at 1200 MHz since going past the hardcoded limit appears to actually hurt performance (was 1512 MHz in osmod)
- adjust TCP buffer sizes and thresholds to the latest from CM to improve overall connection speeds
- replace the crappy G-Box bootsplash with the "Android Open System" image.. ooh rainbows!
- add busybox and MTD-Tools (nandwrite, nanddump, flash_erase) binaries to /sbin to make life easy (thanks @styr & @_n0p_)
- add my flash_image and netadb (toggle adb over TCP) scripts to /sbin to make it even easier
- add init.d script support service
- add /sbin/osbootscript.sh and run via service for further/more complicated tweaks

osbootscript.sh tweaks:
- create /system/etc/init.d/ directory and set proper permissions if it doesn't already exist
- fix governor permissions and workaround broken conservative governor directory issue
- set scaling_governor to performance, which scores better, and on a plugged device with no heat issues there's no reason not to (was conservative)
- increase the CPU scaling min freq to 696 MHz so that things are actually fast if not using performance (was 96)
- increase the Mali-400 GPU max freq to 400 MHz where it should be (was 333)
- lock frequencies to the defined kernel table for predictability in tweaking apps, stability and performance (was unlocked)
- disable some unnecessary debugging (thanks @franciscofranco)
- use "reno" TCP congestion avoidance algorithm and adjust tx/rx memory buffers to massively improve throughput (was cubic)
- TCP tweaks to reduce network latency (thanks @ak)
- TCP tweaks to further optimize throughput (thanks @pkgnex)
- various kernel and VM tweaks (randomize_va_space, lease-break-time, swappiness) to improve responsiveness
- queue tweaks for sdcard readahead and I/O requests to improve sdcard speeds
- bdi changes to keep system from using maximum I/O bandwidth, reducing system hangs while writing to sdcard (thanks @BenniBenassi)
- tune deadline I/O scheduler for better throughput while avoiding choking/hangs
- remount sysfs+sdcard with tweaked mount options to improve responsiveness
- renice (ie. increase priority of) systemui to improve responsiveness (thanks @boype)
- Synapse tweaking app support

Synapse key features:
- tweak ALL the things!
- toggle /system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so to experimentally force all rendering on the Mali GPU driver (thanks @BenniBenassi)
- toggle showing the volume softkeys in the navigation bar
- toggle Dalvik2cache init.d script to save space on /data
- toggle GApps Integrator init.d script to merge updates into /system from the Play Store
- backup and restore kernel (boot.img) and Synapse setting profiles
- reboot to recovery

To Flash:
Use my flash_image script or do it directly ("boot" partition) with the MTD-Utils linked here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post40409361

After the first flash you'll always have access to both the MTD-Utils and my flash_image script from /sbin to make it easier in the future, and the netadb script will toggle adb over TCP if the adbd service ever stops or you come across some circumstances where it doesn't trigger automatically.

Synapse support pictured below:

Using App Settings (Xposed Module): 178 DPI, 135 Font scale.

Other recommended app tweaks:
Gravity Box (Xposed Module). I've used it to make my system look like a decent cross between KitKat and Lollipop.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to repost a few things from previous pages so this can be a roll-up post for the entire thread. Matricom's support is still shoddy and their latest ROM releases for the MX Box aren't very stable, don't support as many TVs as the old ones, and the update procedure has bricked many devices. To my knowledge and in my experience @BenniBenassi's modded Matricom MX2 v1.15+ ROM is still the all-around best as of this posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

I've uploaded the extracted @BenniBenassi recovery sdcard files to my BasketBuild for anyone who wants to download them separately for a 2gb sdcard, etc.

matricom-mx2_v1.1.5plus_(08-09-2013)-g18ref-bennibenassi_osmod.zip:
https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/osm0sis/roms

Unzip and copy to a fat32 formatted 2-4gb sdcard. It also contains my fixed recovery.img which backports the A/V out fixes to the old recovery so the toothpick method recovery can be displayed on older TVs.

I've also uploaded a CWM-on-stock flashable zip I created for the MX Box. Using the @relol compiled g18ref CWM 6.0.2.8 recovery and following the awesome work of @Phil3759 (PhilZ), I've signed it so it can be kept on /cache or your external sdcard to be flashed on the MX Box stock recovery, it will then take over stock and run CWM for that boot.

cwm-non-touch-6.0.2.8-g18ref-relol_osmod-signed.zip:
http://v.ht/osmods

I've managed to fix internal /sdcard mounting in it so now flashing zips and backups/restores all work, but it's not compiled to ignore the internal /data/media so be aware backups will mistakenly include sdcard contents. Seemed like a reasonable compromise to me for getting flashing zips working.

Lastly, the other automated backup method I created for the MX Box, using adb over TCP and a Windows batch script:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=107

Enjoy your pimped out MX Box and have fun with all the tweaking power of Synapse!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]

17th October 2015, 07:39 AM |#192  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
I didn't have the MX but rather the MxQ, but had to applaud your information on your mods..good

├ćaa..\../
The Following User Says Thank You to takota6 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift takota6 Ad-Free
12th November 2015, 06:10 PM |#193  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
[QUOTE=osm0sis;49579220]You should do it with my flash_image script and the MTD-Utils I explained earlier in this thread. Get them from my Odds and Ends thread.

I'll dump the recovery and PM it to you whenever, just let me know when you need it.

First thing though, download Terminal Emulator, open it, and type: cat /proc/mtd

Post the output so we can see what we're working with and be sure we're dealing with the same device partitions on this bizarro box you've somehow acquired running ICS 4.0.4.

ive got this same box, hardware and problems as steveburney had in this thread, how do I get this box to accept a flash ??
tried magic sd ect ect to no avail, it wiil not let me flash it

please someone help me to resolve this, ive spent weeks reading different info to try and fix myself before asking for help, but I am now totally stuck and cant accomplish flashing this box without someone advising me of correct procedure

thanks moiloon
12th November 2015, 11:36 PM |#194  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiloon

ive got this same box, hardware and problems as steveburney had in this thread, how do I get this box to accept a flash ??
tried magic sd ect ect to no avail, it wiil not let me flash it

please someone help me to resolve this, ive spent weeks reading different info to try and fix myself before asking for help, but I am now totally stuck and cant accomplish flashing this box without someone advising me of correct procedure

thanks moiloon

Download SuperSU from the Play Store. Allow it to root your device. Download MTD-Tools as I linked above, put them and my flash_image script in /system/xbin/ and set them executable with this command: su -c "chmod 755 /system/xbin/*"

Then use my flash_image script to flash your recovery with my mtd4 recovery osmod. From there try the toothpick sdcard trick with the ROM osmod I posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2015, 02:11 PM |#195  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Download SuperSU from the Play Store. Allow it to root your device. Download MTD-Tools as I linked above, put them and my flash_image script in /system/xbin/ and set them executable with this command: su -c "chmod 755 /system/xbin/*"

Then use my flash_image script to flash your recovery with my mtd4 recovery osmod. From there try the toothpick sdcard trick with the ROM osmod I posted.

I'm sorry to be a pain and sincerely grateful for your help, but could you elaborate further as I'm fairly new to android tbh, and looking at the directions you posted is a little confusing to me,
ive got mtd-utils,i have installed supersu,
is your flash script , flash_image.txt? I remove the .txt then put in system/xbin
where do I input the command+how set executable? in terminal emulator?
ive got your recovery, but how do I use flash_script to flash mtd4 recovery osmod
ie where do I put recovery image? on sd ect ect? and what commands and where do I input them

sorry for being so android illiterate
I have copied flash script and Mtd utils to system/xbin ,should they be extracted from the zip at system/xbin, or left as is in the zip?
I'm stuck at this point really could do with a step by step to accomplish this as I'm a novice with android
28th November 2015, 07:25 PM |#196  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

I finally found time to complete my (pretty tedious) task of benchmarking to improve the sdcard speeds of the MX Box and vetting the rest of the proposed tweaks I'd pulled in from other devices. I'm extremely pleased with the performance at this point. This is about a calendar year later than I'd hoped and I know many have likely moved on from this device by now, but mine's working great now so let's call it "one for the road."

I went back and started from scratch with my updated ramdisk base files, backported what I could script and binary-wise from Matricom's newer (1.1.6) kernel/recovery to improve TV support (especially A/V CRT). This time I modified as little of the ramdisk files as possible, instead putting all tweaks possible in /sbin/osbootscript.sh to keep everything centralized. As this is a total refresh (and many pages later) I'll redo the entire changelog over Matricom stock.

mtd4-recovery-g18ref-osmod:

Updated recovery recommended for use after you've got the device booting again from the "toothpick" sdcard restore method. Includes newer busybox files, remote and mouse control fixes, etc. backported from newer Matricom recovery versions. Flash using the instructions below ("recovery" partition).

mtd5-boot-g18ref-osmod2:
:

Hi! I'm trying to update my V2.2 (previosly running XBMC/Linux) and I'm getting Signature Verification Failed. How to bypass it? Thanks in advance!
28th November 2015, 07:57 PM |#197  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolence

Hi! I'm trying to update my V2.2 (previosly running XBMC/Linux) and I'm getting Signature Verification Failed. How to bypass it? Thanks in advance!

You don't flash the zips manually, they're sdcard contents for a toothpick flash.
28th November 2015, 08:06 PM |#198  

More
Exactly, I'm using the toothpick method. It's normal behavior zip file appear as corrupt on PC?
I should have CWM Recovery installed to work?
28th November 2015, 09:42 PM |#199  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Exactly, I'm using the toothpick method. It's normal behavior zip file appear as corrupt on PC?
I should have CWM Recovery installed to work?

Oh yes, sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to do. One of those zips does appear broken on purpose, something to do with the way Matricom signs it I guess? And no, you want stock recovery of some kind, though the toothpick method technically temp flashes its own to get the job done as well.
28th November 2015, 09:44 PM |#200  

More
I think something bad happened. The box isnt outputing anything through HDMI port.

Enviado de meu MI 2S usando Tapatalk
28th November 2015, 09:48 PM |#201  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I think something bad happened. The box isnt outputing anything through HDMI port.

For the longest time I had no output through my A/V (until I backported the recovery ramdisk fixes myself ), but usually waiting it out it'll still work. Just make sure you wait the correct amount of time to blindly trigger the toothpick method, and then allow like 20 minutes for it to flash everything, then try and boot it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amlogic, mx box

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)