Android 6.0 for Nexus 7(2013) is live! [Root available], [Flashable zips]

Search This thread

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Looks like we are not getting root until google decides to release the source code, what a bummer...

I'm not surprised, based on what I've read about the previews. I'm not thrilled with Google's recent attitude about root, as each new version seems to make life harder and harder, but at least the core is open source, so we can count on someone releasing an alternate kernel.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
I used wugfresh toolkit to unroot, return to stock and flash factory image. I usually just pull boot and system.img and flash them thru fastboot but looks like they changed the bootloader from 04.04 to 04.05 so to not risk anything I just wiped everything and had the toolkit do it after it verified MD5

neo5468

Oct 9, 2012
I updated bootloader from 4.4 to 4.5 when I installed 5.1.1 so I didn't have to do that. Basically I update my nexus 7 the same way I update it every time and I never had any issues. In my opinion it is the safest way and also the intended way to update nexus devices.

Basically download stock factory image from google developer website, and extract system.img and boot.img in the same folder as your fastboot.

Turn on usb debuggin and use following commands:

-----------------------------------------------
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

Usually I also run CF-Auto Root but it is not working with Marshmallow yet so I skipped that step. I am using my tablet right now on 6.0 and it is working perfectly. No boot loop and no slow downs. I am using this method since 4.3. I dirty flashed every single time and never had any problem. Why don't you guys use this method? It is the intended method that even Google recommends.

riot1031

Jan 27, 2008
Finger Lakes
I used wugfresh toolkit to unroot, return to stock and flash factory image. I usually just pull boot and system.img and flash them thru fastboot but looks like they changed the bootloader from 04.04 to 04.05 so to not risk anything I just wiped everything and had the toolkit do it after it verified MD5

I already had 4.05 (pretty sure it was from the latest Lollipop rom) but I flashed it through fastboot with boot.img and system.img just to be safe.

jcarcinogen

Oct 30, 2013
I've flashed it twice but never get past the initial booting animation. I guess I'll remove the -w flag from the script.

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
I flashed it manually using adb and wow! Android Doze is insane. Gsam said 0% battery drain in 3 hours idle. Overall performance is also very snappy, definitely more optimized than lollipop.

Reactions: poondog

coolsilver

Dec 23, 2007
Dirty flashed mine to M. I been stock/rooted until now. Booted right away, optimizing apps almost done. Also used Wugz NRT for flashing

gleggie

Jan 13, 2013
Have you run any benchmarks or games? I basically rooted to go back to KitKat due to terrible gaming performance in Lollipop (specifically for VainGlory).

I haven't, although overall system performance has been much better than Lollipop, so i have no doubt that gaming will be just fine. I'm currently flashing Elemental X and super su. Stock rooted is gonna be beast

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: Flashable zips from AndroidPolice (just flash from recovery) ----> http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...gs-android-6-0-marshmallow-nexus-ota-roundup/

Steps:

1) Backup apps and data

2) Make an Nandroid backup

3) Factory Reset (optional but recommended)

4) Download and install Android 6.0 factory image through adb https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en

5) Flash latest TWRP 2.8.7.0 recovery

6) Flash ElementalX kernel 5.0 for Marshmallow or stock rootable kernel from @zaclimon through TWRP http://elementalx.org/devices/nexus-7-2013/ or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63158038&postcount=210

7) Flash latest supersu 2.46 zip https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU

8) Reboot
    For those who want root, here's a stock custom kernel I've done to change the selinux permissions here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63158038&postcount=210
    I updated bootloader from 4.4 to 4.5 when I installed 5.1.1 so I didn't have to do that. Basically I update my nexus 7 the same way I update it every time and I never had any issues. In my opinion it is the safest way and also the intended way to update nexus devices.

Basically download stock factory image from google developer website, and extract system.img and boot.img in the same folder as your fastboot.

Turn on usb debuggin and use following commands:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot format cache
    fastboot reboot

Usually I also run CF-Auto Root but it is not working with Marshmallow yet so I skipped that step. I am using my tablet right now on 6.0 and it is working perfectly. No boot loop and no slow downs. I am using this method since 4.3. I dirty flashed every single time and never had any problem. Why don't you guys use this method? It is the intended method that even Google recommends.
    Yeah... I also went back to KitKat for good. I need gaming performance not a number in About Tab. I hoped they fixed what they broke with Lollipop but clearly Google thinks 100% of the people use this tablet only for checking the weather and doesn't give a f*ck about fixing what they broke. When games will require Android 5.0+ I will crush the tablet with a hammer or give it to my grandmother so she can cut vegetables on it while checking the weather.
    Can someone test if there is kind of the multiwindow feature that we saw in the M Previews?

Yes, not enabled by default:
    pull build.prop from recovery and change release from user to userdebug
    push build.prop
    chmod 644 build.prop
    reboot device and find it in dev options under drawing