[ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonRom KitKat [infuse4g]

Search This thread

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I would like to try build myself but ain't know anything about building builds. So...

Building a ROM is (relatively) easy. There, you are working with kernels, device trees and vendor blobs already tailored to the appropriate Android API. Run some standard commands (make clean && repo sync -f && . build/envsetup.sh && lunch && make carbon -j3), wait several hours, and then you have an installable zip.

What this device needs is development, to bring the device identity (kernel, device tree, vendor blobs) up to the Lollipop standard / API. That is a difficult job to say the least - I wouldn't even know where to start. :eek:

But, if you want to get your feet wet, my May 27th post in this thread contains the local manifest for the purpose of passing on the torch. I would suggest making another KitKat build, as it seems that the StageFright vulnerabilities were patched upstream very recently (assuming that CarbonROM was using those project files directly in their ROM's and not forking them)[1].

That will get you comfortable with building for a device, it also gives you an idea of the code that is involved to "bring up to speed" for Lollipop.

Hope this helps.

[1] I looked into it, the project that contains stagefright (including the vulnerabilities) appears to be android_frameworks_av and CarbonROM maintains their own version. That shouldn't stop you from getting your feet wet, though.

Last edited:

josh.1001

Jan 19, 2014
For anyone still using this phone as a daily driver and isn't satisfied by the small /system and /data partitions, theres a way to increase them so as to install more apps, but at the expense of the internal sd card space....
eg:

Attachments

• Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot3.png
    Screenshot3.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 164

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Stagefright fixes and SF2.0

Hello, :cowboy:

Thought I'd drop in on the way to my mirror/dropbox thread.

Earlier this week, I made a successful build of CarbonROM 4.4.4 with the stagefright (1.0) bugs fixed for another device.

Now, I said that my unofficial build for this device was a one-shot deal, and that's not going to change, but I don't want to leave people hanging if there are still users of this device out there.

Which is why I am willing to give assistance and advice to anyone (@GIL0802 I am throwing you under the bus for this example, since you've expressed interest before with LP ;)) who has access to the device and is interested in updating their ROM to patch those vulnerabilities. :D

If interested, just reply in this thread regarding any questions, whatever. I try to discourage PM's, and besides, I am subscribed to this thread, so I get the notification anyway.

Technical end of the fixes (once you have your build environment set up), is to fork CarbonDev's android_frameworks_av project into your own github, and apply the following patches from CM11 (in the following order, copying and pasting the code into your GitHub worked fine for me, albeit tedious since careful is key):

This will take care of StageFright 1.0 issues. As for 2.0, AOSP has yet to officially release their fix (not until October 5th), so I doubt it will be long before CyanogenMod trickles it down to CM11. At that point, I will update this post.

Stay safe out there in the meantime! :cool:

Reactions: pss34 and jkakkanad

xc-racer99

Aug 28, 2013
Ok, so I see there's a bit of a talk about Lollipop for the Infuse...

Let me start with the fact that I don't have an Infuse, nor have I ever had one. What I do have is a Telus Galaxy S Fascinate 4G (SGH-T959P). Long name, but its basically a cross between an Infuse and the i9000. It has the same GPS Chipset and the same modem as the Infuse, but looks like an i9000. Its very similar to the T959V, which where a bunch of your modems came from.

If someone were wanting to bring Lollipop to the Infuse, I would start by going backwards... Currently, the kernel for the Infuse is 2.6.35 based. However, it would be very difficult trying to get Lollipop to work with a kernel that old. However, a 3.0 kernel, like the one the other Galaxy S devices use works fairly well...
If I had an Infuse, I would try to get a build of booting with kernel version 3.0 (doesn't matter what Android version, try anywhere from CM9 to CM11), and then merge those changes into the OmniRom kernel for the i9000 et al Note that device tree changes would be necessary as well.

Given a couple of weeks, I could probably have a kernel and a device tree with initial changes for the Infuse that would be a blind build. However, given as I have no way of testing, it might/probably would brick your phone. If there's interest, I'll try my best to have such a build. Note that the things most likely to be broken would be those that differ from the i9000/T959P - namely the camera, sound, softkeys, sensors, and, of course, the screen...

So, let me know what you guys think!

GIL0802

Nov 19, 2013
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hello, :cowboy:

Thought I'd drop in on the way to my mirror/dropbox thread.

Earlier this week, I made a successful build of CarbonROM 4.4.4 with the stagefright (1.0) bugs fixed for another device.

Now, I said that my unofficial build for this device was a one-shot deal, and that's not going to change, but I don't want to leave people hanging if there are still users of this device out there.

Which is why I am willing to give assistance and advice to anyone (@GIL0802 I am throwing you under the bus for this example, since you've expressed interest before with LP ;)) who has access to the device and is interested in updating their ROM to patch those vulnerabilities. :D

If interested, just reply in this thread regarding any questions, whatever. I try to discourage PM's, and besides, I am subscribed to this thread, so I get the notification anyway.

Technical end of the fixes (once you have your build environment set up), is to fork CarbonDev's android_frameworks_av project into your own github, and apply the following patches from CM11 (in the following order, copying and pasting the code into your GitHub worked fine for me, albeit tedious since careful is key):

This will take care of StageFright 1.0 issues. As for 2.0, AOSP has yet to officially release their fix (not until October 5th), so I doubt it will be long before CyanogenMod trickles it down to CM11. At that point, I will update this post.

Stay safe out there in the meantime! :cool:

Yes, i'm here!

I would like to install a new build because lately i having random reboot, heating problems and so on. I'm still using the Infuse daily. My camera is broken so i don't care if the LP ROM, the camera doesn't run well or at all.

I'm available to test but carefully to not brick the device because as i said upthere, it's my daily driver right now.

Cheers!

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Yes, i'm here!

I would like to install a new build because lately i having random reboot, heating problems and so on. I'm still using the Infuse daily. My camera is broken so i don't care if the LP ROM, the camera doesn't run well or at all.

I'm available to test but carefully to not brick the device because as i said upthere, it's my daily driver right now.

Cheers!

Sorry, I guess I made a critical omission. My assistance would be to build an updated KK version, not LP (as that one is out of the realm of my knowledge).

Hope that clarifies. :)

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Oh i'm sorry. @xc-racer99 said the LP thing.

I'm OK with KK. Waiting for it. :)

Okay!

So, for now, reading material, and to get your build environment set up. Since you will be compiling Kitkat, you will need Java 6, not 7:
http://xdaforums.com/chef-central/android/guide-android-rom-development-t2814763

If already running Linux, you can install the older java and then create a spare user account (for building) that calls for the downgraded version. Can bug me for that later, if needed.

Local Manifests:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<remote name="gh"
           fetch="git://github.com/"/>

<remote name="joelmaxuel"
           fetch="git://github.com/joelmaxuel/"/>

<project path="device/samsung/infuse4g" name="android_device_samsung_infuse4g" remote="joelmaxuel" revision="kk" />
	<project path="device/samsung/aries-common" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_aries-common" remote="gh" revision="cm-11.0" />
	<project path="vendor/samsung" name="TheThunderbirds/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="gh" revision="kk" />
	<project path="kernel/samsung/dempsey" name="scotthartbti/cm_samsung_kernel_dempsey" remote="gh" revision="kk44" />

<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_frameworks_base" />
	<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_vendor_carbon" />
	<project name="android_frameworks_base-kk" path="frameworks/base" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />
	<project name="android_vendor_carbon" path="vendor/carbon" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />

</manifest>

(This is pretty much like that of the last build, you may want to organize them into a github organization, since the projects are scattered and you will need to pull in frameworks av as well.)

That's all for now, got to prepare for tomorrow!

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I'm not running Linux. I'm a Windows user. I thought you will give me the build updated because right now i don't know how to Github. (I'm learning the basic throught FreeCodeCamp. http://http://freecodecamp.com/ )

If you understand my issue. When you patched, i will flash the new build on my Infuse.

Sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy.

Yeah, I won't be providing a compiled build, since it would be a blind build. I disliked doing it before, and my code of ethics have shifted since then to the point of it's something I won't do (unfortunately). But empowering someone else falls within the realm of doable.

With VirtualBox, you'll be set. :) Here's how to set it up (includes other aspects of the build - think I mentioned this already, but set up for Java 6 instead of Java 7).

The revised manifest. Note I have already patched frameworks_av, so just need to save as infuse.xml, save in .repo/local_manifests/, repo sync, lunch (use the -userdebug option in the menu that pops up) and make (I have a dual core processor so I "make carbon -j3"):

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<remote name="gh"
           fetch="git://github.com/"/>

<remote name="joelmaxuel"
           fetch="git://github.com/carbon-infuse/"/>

<project path="device/samsung/infuse4g" name="android_device_samsung_infuse4g" remote="joelmaxuel" revision="kk" />
	<project path="device/samsung/aries-common" name="android_device_samsung_aries-common" remote="joelmaxuel" revision="cm-11.0" />
	<project path="vendor/samsung" name="proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="joelmaxuel" revision="kk" />
	<project path="kernel/samsung/dempsey" name="cm_samsung_kernel_dempsey" remote="joelmaxuel" revision="kk44" />

<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_frameworks_base" />
	<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_frameworks_av" />
	<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_vendor_carbon" />
	<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_system_core" />
	<remove-project name="CarbonDev/android_bionic" />
	<project name="android_frameworks_base-kk" path="frameworks/base" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />
	<project name="android_frameworks_av" path="frameworks/av" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />
	<project name="android_vendor_carbon" path="vendor/carbon" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />
	<project name="android_system_core" path="system/core" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />
	<project name="android_bionic" path="bionic" revision="kk" remote="joelmaxuel" />

</manifest>

The github: https://github.com/carbon-infuse
Carbon's build instructions: https://github.com/CarbonDev/android/blob/kk/README.mkdn

I think that's all to know! And if you want to get more access than just read to the carbon-infuse github (in case you want ot apply commits later on down the road), shoot me a PM of your github ID.

Last edited:

PoXFreak

Jan 2, 2011
Apex NC
For anyone still using this phone as a daily driver and isn't satisfied by the small /system and /data partitions, theres a way to increase them so as to install more apps, but at the expense of the internal sd card space....

eg:

I would be interested in figuring this out myself, because lollipop with a proper gapps install requires up to 3gb of space. There's actually not enough room on the infuse for lollipop with even a micro or pico gapps package since lp now uses ART runtime.
I would have to sacrifice 2gb more SD space to/system before I could even try to flash lp on the infuse.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Forums Pro.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

I'm not running Linux. I'm a Windows user. I thought you will give me the build updated because right now i don't know how to Github. (I'm learning the basic throught FreeCodeCamp. http://http://freecodecamp.com/ )

If you understand my issue. When you patched, i will flash the new build on my Infuse.

There is a build environment already custom tailored to building android called "builduntu" (sp) that can be burned to a CD (I wouldn't), or installed to a bootable flash drive. It requires a 64 bit processor though, and the more cores the better.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2585828

Reactions: OfficerJimLahey

josh.1001

Jan 19, 2014
I would be interested in figuring this out myself, because lollipop with a proper gapps install requires up to 3gb of space. There's actually not enough room on the infuse for lollipop with even a micro or pico gapps package since lp now uses ART runtime.
I would have to sacrifice 2gb more SD space to/system before I could even try to flash lp on the infuse.

The infuse 4g uses the mmcblk0 as the system storage+ SD card.
mmcblk0p1 is the SD card and mmcblk0p2 is where the system+ data partitions are located. By using parted, I managed to repartition my old infuse and resized this partition from around 1.8gb to 5.0gb.(mmcblk0 to ~10gb ).
I then used lvm to create new system and userdata partitions. eg. mine is currently at 1.5g system and 3.5g user data.(as long as its less than the 5g partition size)

note, you ought to have flashed at least cm11 4.4 or any kitkat ROM before this procedure.
any mistake during partitioning will also brick the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

I would flash this rom buttt.... I have a feeling the battery life is gonna be the same like SlimBean and BeanStalk and all the other Jelly Bean roms.. So i'll just stick with my GB till someone makes a JB rom with longer lasting battery life :fingers-crossed:

Understood Sir, or you can take up cooking...cooking of ROMs and make your attempt to have the battery life extended. But you will find the difference in the JB ROMs vs the GB ROMs. And I realize there is a learning process when developing. But why wait there are some Forums in place on educating/tutorials for Android check them out,mean time you can run these ROMs that these current Members work hard to provide and try the apps in place that help in battery life. ;)
    BTW there is a new site in place xda-university.com "[XDA-University is the resource brought to you by the people behind XDA-Developers. We aim to help you start your journey into Android and development, as well as get to know XDA more.]"

Thanks ;)
    Finally got 4.3 to build :)
    So far everything works except for telephony.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app
    All these darn JB MUF's are tempting......buuutttt I'm still sticking to my GB.

Good job, bro!

You've gone a long way from bricking that i997 so so long ago. :)

edit: if you put up some tempting screen shots, maybe Zen Arcade might bite and take this for a run. :)