By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th November 2015, 04:21 PM |#14791  
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvl

Looking for a few cheap brickable phones for android development. Any models recommended? I heard about some cheap Asus model available in India. Warranty is no issue and dual SIM is a plus. Just as long as I can flash stuff with fastboot or some other free tool. Windows drivers should be available.

X2 I am also looking for some cheap smartphones to do some testing with.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

9th November 2015, 02:01 AM |#14792  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm seriously considering an iphone... Someone please send help...

I'm either a sheep, a plebian or getting too old for root. I'm looking for a phone to replace my aging and problematc Z1 that will be my daily driver. I wanted a phone that is:
1. stable and reliable that I can use daily. I don't want to be a tech support every other time I will use my phone.
2. Has access to the storage. I torrent and seed on my phone to take advantage of my unlimited data plan. So I transfer files to and from a windows PC frequently.
3. Gets "patched" on a timely manner for a duration longer than 18months. I wanted a phone that has Long Term Support or someting like the LTS branch of linux instead of the nightlies. Maybe 3 years or so. I don't care much about the new features of android and if I can get them or not. I only care about patches to exploits, bugs, etc. But since android baked the fixes to their feature releases, it's all or nothing on android.

I don't want to:
1. Root or jailbreak or do anything like that to this phone. Android seems to be trying to remove our ability to root, granted this is a cat and mouse game but I've read the things they are trying to do and it seems like Android does not want us to root yet does not give us the tools to access/elevate to SU for things we want SU to do. Thinking back, I only need root for TB (I need a backup app that ignores the do not backup flag and can restore authenticator keys back the way it was during the backup. Seems like on TB fits the bill for this), make the SD card writeable (Sony did not give back the ability to write to SD after they move from KK to L).
2. I'm tired of trying to research first if a phone can be rooted yet and has an unlocked boot loader.
3. I don't want to have to resort to custom roms just to have a bloat free experience.

I guess I want a phone that just works on my use case. Basically, download, seed, transfer files to PC and back to mobile, a decent backup app, and smooth experience with little to no lag. All without needing to root or unlock/have unlocked bootloader or custom roms. I want a plug and play device. Is there something like this for me this year or should I wait for the 2016 offerings.

Sorry for the long ass post. Just seriosuly contemplating an upgrade, have the money but don't want to waste it by buying a subpar phone only to replace it a few months down.
9th November 2015, 02:22 AM |#14793  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 835

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drphph

I'm either a sheep, a plebian or getting too old for root. I'm looking for a phone to replace my aging and problematc Z1 that will be my daily driver. I wanted a phone that is:
1. stable and reliable that I can use daily. I don't want to be a tech support every other time I will use my phone.
2. Has access to the storage. I torrent and seed on my phone to take advantage of my unlimited data plan. So I transfer files to and from a windows PC frequently.
3. Gets "patched" on a timely manner for a duration longer than 18months. I wanted a phone that has Long Term Support or someting like the LTS branch of linux instead of the nightlies. Maybe 3 years or so. I don't care much about the new features of android and if I can get them or not. I only care about patches to exploits, bugs, etc. But since android baked the fixes to their feature releases, it's all or nothing on android.

I don't want to:
1. Root or jailbreak or do anything like that to this phone. Android seems to be trying to remove our ability to root, granted this is a cat and mouse game but I've read the things they are trying to do and it seems like Android does not want us to root yet does not give us the tools to access/elevate to SU for things we want SU to do. Thinking back, I only need root for TB (I need a backup app that ignores the do not backup flag and can restore authenticator keys back the way it was during the backup. Seems like on TB fits the bill for this), make the SD card writeable (Sony did not give back the ability to write to SD after they move from KK to L).
2. I'm tired of trying to research first if a phone can be rooted yet and has an unlocked boot loader.
3. I don't want to have to resort to custom roms just to have a bloat free experience.

I guess I want a phone that just works on my use case. Basically, download, seed, transfer files to PC and back to mobile, a decent backup app, and smooth experience with little to no lag. All without needing to root or unlock/have unlocked bootloader or custom roms. I want a plug and play device. Is there something like this for me this year or should I wait for the 2016 offerings.

Sorry for the long ass post. Just seriosuly contemplating an upgrade, have the money but don't want to waste it by buying a subpar phone only to replace it a few months down.

I'd say a Nexus 6P 128gb or a 64gb Moto X Pure/Style (with 128gb microSD card) would fit the bill nicely. Asus just came out with a special "deluxe" edition of their ZenFone 2 with 128gb built-in storage (plus it has a microSD slot). The UI is rather bloaty though. A Nexus or Moto will receive timely updates (especially the Nexus), and the Moto software is very close to stock.
9th November 2015, 07:10 AM |#14794  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Lg L Fino
9th November 2015, 12:28 PM |#14795  
Flag Hyderabad

More
As always, we dream for something else and buy something else.... But I'm very much interested in the Samsung galaxy note 5. I was planning to visit the Flipkart Mobiles store. And Galaxy s6 isn't bad, too... the price range is a less compared to note !! o.O Have to think about it..

That really depends on your budget range. If your budget is around $300, then go for OnePlus One. If want to invest higher... then definitely Galaxy Note... !! Loved its features... Where as OnePlus has some really attractive features at least price. If you wanna buy online, then look at the ratings of OnePlus One, it has crossed more than 15k... trustworthy, isn't it?!
9th November 2015, 02:58 PM |#14796  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
should i move from k920 to elephone vowney pro
is it worth it?
how is the helio compared to sd801 and powervr to adreno?
9th November 2015, 07:15 PM |#14797  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 2,698

Donate to Me
More
I just bought the Alcatel Idol 3 Dual SIM.
The phone is flipping amazing!
Lightweight,fast,its OS is as close to AOSP as it can be,strong cameras,great display,and only for 250$.

Sent from my 6045K using XDA Forums
9th November 2015, 07:24 PM |#14798  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Okay, please listen to me guys, as I have no idea which one to choose. So I can pick up any phone from the flagship list, and it will be my daily driver, and as for now I don't know if to choose the edge+ or the 6s plus. Actually I would gladly go with the M9, but its camera is nothing special (not bad, already), and the speakers are ****ty, I mean, maybe they have good quality, but no power at all (give a try to passport to know how the speakers should sound in a phone), and the sd810 is a bad idea I think to stick with for a year or two.
BUT, today it was my second time at the electronic store, going through all the ui and functions of each phone (e+ and 6s+). What's good about the edge+:
- manual camera mode, I need the ability of taking long exposure photos, to photograph the thunderstorms
- huge screen, 5,7" is perfect for everything
- multiwindow, and flash player as I like to watch sport streams of games not available in my country
- normal file system, drag and drop, and so on, you know
- I can connect it to the tv either via dlna, mhl or usb
- better loudspeaker than in iphone (I like to play music from my phone while having a bath, it's that important!)
- plays flac format natively

flaws:
- curved screen sucks, I'd rather have that from the note 5
- it isn't futureproof too much guys, look at s5 today, nothing special right?
- ram management
- the accesories' amount for this device is somewhere around zero
- its resale value will be much lower than the iphone's
- it will lag after a year as every android

iphone's pros:
- I like the look of it a little more
- it has TONS of accessories available
- better apps, I have some of them already bought in the appstore since I used to have an ipad (years ago though)
- everything is better optimized
- it's more futureproof, has better cpu and gpu, and its resale value will be much higher
- more storage, because my carrier only offers the 32 gb version of e+

cons:
- I have to have an apple tv device to connect it to the tv
- no flash, maybe curable with a puffin browser
- no file system, is it even possible to download anything and open it later on ios aside of pictures? i.e. documents, pdfs, music
- no manual camera mode, arrrgh
- mono sound in videos

And now we come to the biggest flaw I've encountered in both devices: the audio output. Seriously Samsung and Apple, that's what you call a sound worthy around 1k bucks? I'm using now my old Nokia 808, after my Passport got damaged, it sounds better than the edge+, and is louder than 6s plus. The sound from edge+ is muffled, not too loud, only a bit louder than in iphone, the bass is overwhelming, while the iphone sounds quite nice, but it can't drive cups DEDICATED to it, the AKG K545. I'd buy the passport once again, but its audio output was silent as hell too, and the camera was mediocre (it made great photos in night scenes if you knew how to, though). The M9 has an amazing audio department, but the rest of the phone is just as mediocre as Passport's camera. And it bends like an empty can.
Now, what to do?
9th November 2015, 08:31 PM |#14799  
Flag Tel aviv
Thanks Meter: 8

More
hello there good people ,
As the subject suggested , I'm looking for a simple remote for my smart home (z-wave : vera controller) .
This tablet will be wall mounted most of the time and will be taken to living room when needed.
I don't need a good quality screen , I don't need cellular data , I don't need BT , I don't even need camera (I think they all have it) .
just need simple android (preferably kitkat and up) Wifi enabled cheap tablet.
micro USB charging will make a good advantage so it will be fairly easy to find a matching white charger.
I think budget should be ~$60-70 USD .
I also need the links to be from eBay / DX / aliexpress.

I think this 11/11 sale will produce a good buying opportunity.

Thanks very much for your help.
10th November 2015, 04:42 AM |#14800  
Thanks Meter: 357

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drphph

I don't want to:

One Plus X , Z5 compact lol
10th November 2015, 07:37 AM |#14801  
Flag Beijing

More
Can people here say that they want to change to iphone ..........

Just kidding. Factors that I'm considering when buying a new smartphone are:
1. How long can the power last?
2. memory must >= 64G
3. Screen size between 4.7 and 5.5 inches.
4. less than 400 $

Sow can someone suggest one?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)