FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OTA updates variables

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By tcpma, Member on 22nd May 2014, 10:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2014, 04:25 PM |#31  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
@nkk71, I did not know which thread you were referring, so I am responding here.

the error is:

Unable to locate zip file
"CxDyCt@Xa}Gy@xD"

I am not sure either if is a unicode texT.
 
 
27th October 2014, 12:38 PM |#32  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71

I'm being lazy here, sorry ,but I did promise to post something

A) when do you receive and OTA notification:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID must match (if) available OTA
2- does anything else matter (root, kernel, modifications, S-On/S-Off, etc., even recovery) -> NO, but they may below



B) the OTA updater-script

you need to be on stock recovery, custom recoveries will not work!

what will it check:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID
2- if you pass those, the OTA will check the actual system files (thousands of them) using SHA-1 hash to confirm they are as expected. Why? because OTA is just a patch (diff) between two versions, so in order to patch a file (as opposed to replacing it), it has to be an exact match.... if even 1 out of those thousands of files is not as expected, the OTA will not work. ---> stock recovery will change to red triangle.


what will it do if the above are OK:
* the OTA will patch the existing files
* delete any files no longer part of the update
* install any new files that come with the update
* and finally update the firmware (hboot, recovery, kernel, thouchscreen drivers, bootsplash, etc.) <- note, since the OTA is an update the firmware.zip will only contain the files that need to be updated, so for example, touchscreen drivers are not included in every OTA, only when necessary.


and to the big question, what will interfere with successful OTA:
any modification to the files the OTA checks (in step 2 above), so:
- does a custom kernel matter (boot.img) -> technically no, but custom kernels may also overwrite certain system files, so in practice yes they may interfere if some stock system file was changed.... not because boot.img is custom, but because the files in /system which got replaced. (so flashing back a stock boot.img will not solve this!!)
- does root matter -> same as above, if the root package modifies any original files then yes, otherwise no
- unlocked bootloader -> No, doesn't matter
- S-On/S-Off -> No, doesn't matter


I may have forgotten a few things, so feel free to add anything I missed

@nkk71 Hey hope you now can help me out to solve my problem:

I have downloaded the new software version and when I try to make the update it fails.

When I do accept it takes me to the custom recovery and am not able to instal as you can see on the attached screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20141024-WA0003.gif
Views:	68
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2987093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20141024-WA0004.gif
Views:	68
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2987094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20141024-WA0005.gif
Views:	66
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2987095  
27th October 2014, 01:26 PM |#33  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 6,768
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjbeats31

@nkk71 Hey hope you now can help me out to solve my problem:

I have downloaded the new software version and when I try to make the update it fails.

When I do accept it takes me to the custom recovery and am not able to instal as you can see on the attached screens.

so you don't like reading much

it's mentioned everywhere: --> you cannot install OTA updates using custom recoveries (aka TWRP, CWM, etc), you need to be on stock recovery
11th November 2015, 08:27 PM |#34  
coolbeans2016's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 109
 
Donate to Me
More
welcome to my nightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71

I'm being lazy here, sorry ,but I did promise to post something

A) when do you receive and OTA notification:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID must match (if) available OTA
2- does anything else matter (root, kernel, modifications, S-On/S-Off, etc., even recovery) -> NO, but they may below



B) the OTA updater-script

you need to be on stock recovery, custom recoveries will not work!

what will it check:
1- the ROM fingerprint, CID, and MID
2- if you pass those, the OTA will check the actual system files (thousands of them) using SHA-1 hash to confirm they are as expected. Why? because OTA is just a patch (diff) between two versions, so in order to patch a file (as opposed to replacing it), it has to be an exact match.... if even 1 out of those thousands of files is not as expected, the OTA will not work. ---> stock recovery will change to red triangle.
Note: this also usually includes the /data/preload folder which gets deleted when using HTCdev unlock.


what will it do if the above are OK:
* the OTA will patch the existing files
* delete any files no longer part of the update
* install any new files that come with the update
* and finally update the firmware (hboot, recovery, kernel, thouchscreen drivers, bootsplash, etc.) <- note, since the OTA is an update the firmware.zip will only contain the files that need to be updated, so for example, touchscreen drivers are not included in every OTA, only when necessary.


and to the big question, what will interfere with successful OTA:
any modification to the files the OTA checks (in step 2 above), so:
- does a custom kernel matter (boot.img) -> technically no, but custom kernels may also overwrite certain system files, so in practice yes they may interfere if some stock system file was changed.... not because boot.img is custom, but because the files in /system which got replaced. (so flashing back a stock boot.img will not solve this!!)
- does root matter -> same as above, if the root package modifies any original files then yes, otherwise no
- unlocked bootloader -> No, doesn't matter
- S-On/S-Off -> No, doesn't matter


I may have forgotten a few things, so feel free to add anything I missed

EDIT: red triangle? do this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=23 to find out what is not stock

Found you from a link referred from "[Q] FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)" thread where they have been more helpful than most other threads have went to trying to get help. It is for an Sprint HTC One m7, that has yet to be ever activated with Sprint, new SIM card. Received it with Lollipop 5.0.2, purchased to flash to my Boost Mobile account. Tried that forum, and others no help. Unlocked through HTCDev.com, rooted installing TWRP's 2.8.7.0 for this device, flashing Chainfire's SuperSU v2.46, s-off via Sunshine. Could not get MSL Reader app from playstore to read the MSL/SPC, says it was not an HTC device??!! Stagefright OTA (189mb) pops up. Unroot through SuperSU app, locked bootloader back down, run the RUU 6.23.651.7 from HTC.com (what was on it). On install of the OTA, its running along fine until "unexpected contents found in Bluetooth.apk" error stops it. Run the RUU multiple times, no help. Start learning how to flash this, get this error:
directions flashing OTA manually

cd /d c:\mini-sdk

fastboot getvar all

fastboot oem lock (if device is unlocked)

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (with extra spaces)

fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

fastboot reboot

gets error message:

c:\mini-sdk>fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
sending 'zip'... (193758 KB) [isLargeZip: 0 f
Sending... 10240 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 20480 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 30720 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 40960 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 51200 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 61440 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 71680 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 81920 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 92160 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 102400 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 112640 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 122880 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 133120 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 143360 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 153600 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 163840 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 174080 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 184320 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 193758 KB / 193758 KB
OKAY
writing 'zip'... (bootloader) zip header chec
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail
FAIL24 parsing android-info fail
FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
But inside the OTA, there is already a zip named firmware.zip, it flashes this fine and on flash getvar all shows:
Sprint HTC One m7 fastboot getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.61.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.02.20.0922
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.23.651.10
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: FA37YS900483
(bootloader) imei: XXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) meid: XXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4323mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-0e2a13e5
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
But when phone is back up, still persists on installing the OTA and under about shows it at the .7 level??!! I have found the RUU 6.23.651.10, run it, problem solved.... for now. But the MSL Reader app, gets further than before, but insists "Sorry, couldn't read the MSL/SPC from the radio, is this an HTC CDMA device? (WTF?)
I have unlocked again, rooted it. It kept s-off of course, but is there a sequence of events, or something that gives you a clue as to what the h*** is this phones problem? I have been told that since Sprint does not put their files on the phones until activation that activating it, then deactivating it could be part of the problem but there is just no feasible way I can accomplish this.......... Why I am on Boost, everyone else seems to be able to flash their m7's to their Boost accounts, and no, have tried that forum, seems some peeps, devs do not like to share knowledge as openly as others, especially with a noobie like myself.
Sorry for such a large post, just hoping you will share your experience, knowledge with this series of hiccups, maybe have an answer, not a solution even though that would be great! But at this point just a reason this is happening would be nice.
zach
11th November 2015, 08:36 PM |#35  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 6,768
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans2016

Found you from a link referred from "[Q] FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)" thread where they have been more helpful than most other threads have went to trying to get help. It is for an Sprint HTC One m7, that has yet to be ever activated with Sprint, new SIM card. Received it with Lollipop 5.0.2, purchased to flash to my Boost Mobile account. Tried that forum, and others no help. Unlocked through HTCDev.com, rooted installing TWRP's 2.8.7.0 for this device, flashing Chainfire's SuperSU v2.46, s-off via Sunshine. Could not get MSL Reader app from playstore to read the MSL/SPC, says it was not an HTC device??!! Stagefright OTA (189mb) pops up. Unroot through SuperSU app, locked bootloader back down, run the RUU 6.23.651.7 from HTC.com (what was on it). On install of the OTA, its running along fine until "unexpected contents found in Bluetooth.apk" error stops it. Run the RUU multiple times, no help. Start learning how to flash this, get this error:
directions flashing OTA manually

cd /d c:\mini-sdk

fastboot getvar all

fastboot oem lock (if device is unlocked)

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (with extra spaces)

fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

fastboot reboot

gets error message:

c:\mini-sdk>fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
sending 'zip'... (193758 KB) [isLargeZip: 0 f
Sending... 10240 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 20480 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 30720 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 40960 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 51200 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 61440 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 71680 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 81920 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 92160 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 102400 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 112640 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 122880 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 133120 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 143360 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 153600 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 163840 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 174080 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 184320 KB / 193758 KB
Sending... 193758 KB / 193758 KB
OKAY
writing 'zip'... (bootloader) zip header chec
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail
FAIL24 parsing android-info fail
FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
But inside the OTA, there is already a zip named firmware.zip, it flashes this fine and on flash getvar all shows:
Sprint HTC One m7 fastboot getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.61.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.02.20.0922
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.23.651.10
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: FA37YS900483
(bootloader) imei: XXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) meid: XXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4323mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-0e2a13e5
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
But when phone is back up, still persists on installing the OTA and under about shows it at the .7 level??!! I have found the RUU 6.23.651.10, run it, problem solved.... for now. But the MSL Reader app, gets further than before, but insists "Sorry, couldn't read the MSL/SPC from the radio, is this an HTC CDMA device? (WTF?)
I have unlocked again, rooted it. It kept s-off of course, but is there a sequence of events, or something that gives you a clue as to what the h*** is this phones problem? I have been told that since Sprint does not put their files on the phones until activation that activating it, then deactivating it could be part of the problem but there is just no feasible way I can accomplish this.......... Why I am on Boost, everyone else seems to be able to flash their m7's to their Boost accounts, and no, have tried that forum, seems some peeps, devs do not like to share knowledge as openly as others, especially with a noobie like myself.
Sorry for such a large post, just hoping you will share your experience, knowledge with this series of hiccups, maybe have an answer, not a solution even though that would be great! But at this point just a reason this is happening would be nice.
zach

and multi posting and cross threading is better? stick to one thread/post please
thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes