FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] Disable OTA Update (G-Note 3) Notifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!

157 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

Post Reply Email Thread
23rd November 2014, 05:29 AM |#31  
Flag Columbia, Missouri
Thanks Meter: 0

More
confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqhawk

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

confirmed for samsung galaxy note pro 12.2 on November 22nd, 2014.

22nd June 2015, 03:12 PM |#32  
Flag Foxboro
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Hi thanks for the great guide- the ota notification started coming at me rapid fire- I almost thought vzw was going to juice it to my phone automatically.
The only thing I encountered is that the small change in step 3 is that in my phone there is no LocalFotaClient.apk- it is LocalFota.apk (no client)- so I just renamed that as LocaFota.apk.bak along with FWUpgrade.apk.bak.
So am I on the right track?
Thamks again.
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqhawk

The user lordazoroth originally posted this method here in the T-Mobile SGSIII forum. However, I have confirmed that it works with the Note 3 (at least with the Verizon variant) with one small difference. Feel free to give us both a "THANKS" if this helped you out.

You can disable the OTA Update notification by following the steps below. Just be aware that there is a small change in STEP #3.

Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ (may be /data/fota) and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear. (My phone rebooted and tried to install the update - this is the point where my Note 3 gave the update failed notification. I just rebooted the phone and went to STEP #2.)
Step 2. Disable otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

(NOTE: The difference in STEP #3 for the Galaxy Note 3 is that the [FotaClient.apk] is named [LocalFotaClient.apk] instead of just [FotaClient.apk]. All of the other steps are the same.

Continue running JB 4.3 and enjoy your Note 3 without that nagging update notification!

7th September 2015, 07:12 AM |#33  

More
Just getting my 10 posts.
8th September 2015, 05:42 AM |#34  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sierra Vista
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
No worries. It's all about the community. I still have a Note 3 with 4.3 on it because I want to maintain the SD card functionality.

Sent from my iPhone. LoL
19th November 2015, 04:01 AM |#35  

More
When you say go to step 2 to rename the file, where do I go to do that? I don't have a file that is named that. Do I need to use USB to desktop to change or what.
Note 3 4.4.2
I'm suppose to be rooted but cannot remove SDM or turn it off. So darn tired of the continuous lollipop update trying to push through. Please keep in mind that I need this explained as simply as possible. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
22nd November 2015, 11:06 PM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by older gentleman

When you say go to step 2 to rename the file, where do I go to do that? I don't have a file that is named that. Do I need to use USB to desktop to change or what.
Note 3 4.4.2
I'm suppose to be rooted but cannot remove SDM or turn it off. So darn tired of the continuous lollipop update trying to push through. Please keep in mind that I need this explained as simply as possible. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Is your phone rooted already? I would assume it is...

You should be able to find the files mentioned in the original post with ES Explorer (can get from the Play Store).... then do what is recommended. That's probably one easy way to accomplish it. - You need to be rooted to do so however. Hope this helps.
16th January 2017, 07:07 AM |#37  
N.Cal
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Question
So, the new update from Verizon is here again. But the instruction is probably obsolete.

Step 1 is OK. Deleted the ~350M update zip.
Step 2 is OK. Renamed the file.
Step 3. There are no any .apks in the /system/app/ on my rooted Note 3 with Android 5.0 anymore. But I've found the LocalFota folder with the LocalFOTA.apk in it and the ARM folder. Renamed both. No trace of the FWUpgrade.apk though.

Used some other "guides" and have the "Security Policy Updates SPD_v2_" and "System Updates (Samsung SDM) apps frozen as well.

Is that good enough?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
disable, note 3, notification, ota, update

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)