[Q] Prioritize WiFi connectivity to 5GHz network over 2.4GHz with Auto Wifi Band

Search This thread

briank101

Jan 9, 2014
At work our WiFi network uses the same SSID for both its 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I use VOIP over my Moto X phone and the call quality is excellent if i force my phone to use the uncongested 5GHz band only (in the advanced settings) even if the signal level is relatively weak. However, I need the phone to remain in auto band selection mode, as there are several locations where only the 2.4GHz band is available. Does anyone know an app that can prioritize the 5 GHz band in a Wifi network where all APs have the same SSID, whereby it will remain connected to the 5 GHz until the signal drops to a certain threshold?

The current Android Auto band algorithm seems to just switch based on which freq. band has the highest signal (dBm) level even though a 2.4 GHz AP with a high signal level will often be slower than a 5 GHz AP with a lower signal level due to the high number of 2.4GHz devices completing for bandwidth.

A search for WiFi priority apps only seems to yield setting priority by SSID and an app that would allow setting priority by MAC address would be invaluable as I could then prioritize all the 5GHz APs. If the Wifi Auto band algorithm itself allowed a 10 dBm signal threshold advantage to the 5 GHz band before switching to 2.4 GHz band, real life WiFi performance would likely be overall higher.

Thanks, this is my first post on XDA.

Last edited:

frankocr7

Apr 7, 2018
yo tengo el mismo problema!!

Yo utilizaba una apk wifi band helper 5g pero actualize mi note 8 a android oreo y no funciona correctamente. el problema es q soy cubano y aqui la unica forma de conectarse a internet es mediante wifi_etecsa unico proovedor del pais y todas las bandas tienen el mismo ssid y no deja preferir una banda o la otra. ayuda x favor