[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

MrTooPhone

Nov 23, 2012
I have been following this forum for some time. I have learned that I can not afford the top performing phones that operate in the US. There are some Chinese makes with high end specs that are affordable, but they are not compatible with any of the US networks. I did try a LG2 based of recommendations from this forum, I liked it, but the GPS did not work, so I returned the the phone. So now I am looking again. I am currently comparing the LG2 with the MOTO-G 3rd gen with 2GB RAM. Is there a recommendation between these two? Any other candidates at a similar cost? One additional requirement is that the phone needs to be easily rootable. I need a new phone soon as my GingerBread Galaxy is struggling to keep up.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Well, the LG G3 fits much better in that criteria. Removable battery, screen size is 5.5 but the overall phone size is just a little bit bigger than S5,3 gb RAM and sd card.

Agreed. The screen is sizeably bigger, but the overall dimensions are not. I'd only consider the S5's RAM to be adequate if an AOSP ROM was used instead of the stock one.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

I have been following this forum for some time. I have learned that I can not afford the top performing phones that operate in the US. There are some Chinese makes with high end specs that are affordable, but they are not compatible with any of the US networks. I did try a LG2 based of recommendations from this forum, I liked it, but the GPS did not work, so I returned the the phone. So now I am looking again. I am currently comparing the LG2 with the MOTO-G 3rd gen with 2GB RAM. Is there a recommendation between these two? Any other candidates at a similar cost? One additional requirement is that the phone needs to be easily rootable. I need a new phone soon as my GingerBread Galaxy is struggling to keep up.

You can get an LG G3 for cheap-as-hell right now off eBay or other sources. Likely it'll be T-Mobile branded, but it'll be unlocked, and supports all of AT&T's bands (including 17) and is easily rooted (and ROM'd). Other than that, look at a OnePlus One.

Reactions: timonoj

force70

Well, the LG G3 fits much better in that criteria. Removable battery, screen size is 5.5 but the overall phone size is just a little bit bigger than S5,3 gb RAM and sd card.

Wasn't sure about the overall dimensions but screen size is bigger than mentioned (which is imo a good thing lol).
Id go with a G3 over an S5 anyday for sure though.

Sent from my Note 5, Note 4 or Nexus 6

josip-k

Feb 20, 2011
Jastrebarsko
Samsung Galaxy S20
ASUS ZenFone 8
Wasn't sure about the overall dimensions but screen size is bigger than mentioned (which is imo a good thing lol).
Id go with a G3 over an S5 anyday for sure though.

Well i had both, and i wouldn't go for any again if you ask me hahah. They are both decent phones, but simply not worth the money. The G3 is nice, but the battery is not so nice whatsoever, and the resolution is too big,it's draining the battery like hell. And the camera is no good too. I had a bad experience with it. And the S5 was also too praised. It was lagging as hell, with both stock and custom ROMs. The fingerprint sensor was unresponsive. The Camera was better than on G3 tho. And the AMOLED screen was beautiful with customisation. But the Dev scene wasn't so good, and i simply don't like the hardware button, i couldn't get used to it.

I also had the Z3, if you guys wan't me to review it, i can. But out of all three i had, nothing can even compare to my OPO.

Reactions: timonoj and force70

webhost

Account currently disabled
Nov 30, 2015
Re: What should I buy?

iPhone 6s Plus is worth your attention and, if it’s in your budget, a purchase. The camera alone is worth the price of admission — it’s truly great — the glimpse into the future of three dimensional computing is just a bonus.

force70

iPhone 6s Plus is worth your attention and, if it’s in your budget, a purchase. The camera alone is worth the price of admission — it’s truly great — the glimpse into the future of three dimensional computing is just a bonus.

Your in an android forum recommending apple? Probably not going to be too much interest here on that lol. :confused:

webhost

Account currently disabled
Nov 30, 2015
Re: Force70

Your in an android forum recommending apple? Probably not going to be too much interest here on that lol. :confused:

Hi Force70, you are right! lol Although I recommended iPhone 6S Plus in my last post, I use Android on my Motorola phone and Lenovo tablet.

Droidter

Mar 21, 2011
I need some advice from you guys. Im currently on a Nexus 5 but im looking for an upgrade.
Im looking for:
-5.2" or bigger Inch Display (Phablet)
-Good Battery Life
-A good Camera
-any Kind of quickcharge
If possible but not necessary
-expendable storage

I already tried the Samsung phones in the past and i wasnt happy with them so i wont buy them.
Im not in a budget and since im in EU im buying the phone off contract.
Hope you guys can help me.

Last edited:

force70

I need some advice from you guys. Im currently on a Nexus 5 but im looking for an upgrade.
Im looking for:
-Good Battery Life
-A good Camera
-any Kind of quickcharge
-expendable storage

I already tried the Samsung phones in the past and i wasnt happy with them so i wont buy them.

The first device which pops up in my head is the LG G4 and the EU H815 model has an unlocked Bootloader which is great.

iambibhas

Dec 29, 2011
Hi, I'm looking for an Android device around $250 in India. I've shortlisted Moto G 2015, Xiaomi Mi4 and Oneplus X. All 3 models are in my budget. I was going to buy Moto G 2015, but hesitated as I saw the specs of Mi4 which is available for almost the same price in India. So started looking for other models that are in the same price range and yet have better specs than Moto G 2015, and found Oneplus X. Now I'm really confused.

This is not for me. The one to use it wont care about OS version. Only requirement is that the camera is good and it doesn't start lagging after 6 months of use. Also, screen size is preferably <=5 inch. 16GB is enough, wont need more than that.

Any suggestions?

MaRcOliNoSS

Jul 16, 2012
Help me choose

Hello there,
As the title above states i need some help in order to upgrade my smartphone.Im currently owning a lg optimus ii p710 and i wanna upgrade into smt that will last me the next 2-3years without spending money on a flagship device.
so far im between lg g3 and moto x play,but i cant decide so i ask for ur help.If u have tested another device feel free to include it(not the one plus family(dont wanna mess with the inv system)) thnx a lot for your help in advance

MaRcOliNoSS

Jul 16, 2012
Help me choose

Hello there,
As the title above states i need some help in order to upgrade my smartphone.Im currently owning a lg optimus ii p710 and i wanna upgrade into smt that will last me the next 2-3years without spending money on a flagship device.
so far im between lg g3 and moto x play,but i cant decide so i ask for ur help.If u have tested another device feel free to include it(not the one plus family(dont wanna mess with the inv system)) thnx a lot for your help in advance

josip-k

Feb 20, 2011
Jastrebarsko
Samsung Galaxy S20
ASUS ZenFone 8
Im looking for:
-Good Battery Life
-A good Camera
-any Kind of quickcharge
-expendable storage

Oneplus One without expandable storage. But if you ask me 64 gb is more than enough. Battery life is awesome, it supports quickcharge, and camera is great if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Hello there,

I had the G3 and X Play is a better and newer option. Go for it, if you don't want other options

Droidter

Mar 21, 2011
Oneplus One without expandable storage. But if you ask me 64 gb is more than enough. Battery life is awesome, it supports quickcharge, and camera is great if you ask me.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

I had the G3 and X Play is a better and newer option. Go for it, if you don't want other options

I checked the onplus site and it seems that there is no OnePlus one available in Europe but to be honest i would really take the onplus one now.

MaRcOliNoSS

Jul 16, 2012

if i want other options,can u give me some?(except one plus family)

Darkness30XX

Apr 30, 2012
Miami
Got a T-Mobile JUMP upgrade available! What do i get?

I got a GS5 thats Rooted and running great. My wife says I can do an upgrade but what do I get? I want an Android device that is Rootable and has a removable battery. It doesn't have to be a Samsung device and the amount of on-board memory isn't too much of an issue but must have MicroSD expansion.

ian1504

Nov 15, 2015
First post so here goes. I bought myself the elephone p8000 on not quite a whim but not far off. Love the phone, especially the battery life and now I've learnt to flash it, root it and now flash eragon rom I'm really happy with it. For £115 you just can't go wrong although I know people have had problems with it (probably mostly software related).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    Mate.. We are slightly going off topic., i was the one who distracted you about flashing and stuff. Apologies. Let's keep the thread refined! Ya.. These topics should be discussed in relevant threads/personal chats.

Anyways, is it safe to install banking apps? There's a special thread for the qn mate:

https://xdaforums.com/t/why-you-shouldnt-install-banking-apps-on-rooted-phones.4566867/

I agree with them, even at the developer level, the issues that could happen is unpredictable. So they conclude/discourage us from installing banking/shopping apps in custom roms. They expect us to be a responsible user, well informed and keeping the banking apps to firmware locked devices/ just to handle it old fashioned debit cards etc.

But at the moment i am having a banking app, installed in my non rooted custom rom. But i am planning to uninstall it in a few months, once the financial transactions/need increase.

Okay. Agree, i answered it quite passively. And it isn't the main topic/focus of this thread ain't it mate!

While flashing any custom roms, we should proceed with caution and follow each and every step in the official website/developer with utmost care. Possibility of bricking/bootloop should never be ruled out and we must always have a plan B - having a twrp backup/ firmware to restore any brick that happens/adb codes to restore factory partition. And plan B is widespread - the are numerous workarounds discussed in xda forums/ other android communities -advised to read more/view more tutorials and become more confident and then flash.

Ofc we might end up in an irreversible/hard brick, if flashed recklessly/ irresponsibly/ incompatible roms are flashed.
    - Ive personally bricked/boot looped my op6t as i failed to follow the LOS steps correctly. Reading xda forum of some random device bailed me out.

Hope it's correct now @Paulkw
    Anyway @bsnsxd intended to ask about safety of banking apps in custom roms.
    Yeah, what I had in mind though was not so much the risk of bricking your device but things like unlocking the bootloader which on most devices is irreversible
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.