App to turn off screen WITHOUT locking?

Search This thread

Muradin

Jun 2, 2015
Hey guys,

I was having the same issue with the device also locking if I had used a gesture (double tap in nova launcher with the Screen Off and Lock app) to turn the screen off. Smart lock would only work if I had used the power button. However, I just stumbled on this obscure looking app that is able to mimick the power-button, which has fixed the issue for me. ROOT is needed for this!

Here what you need to do:
Download an app called Power Button from the Play Store (I can't post the link, but it's by Torcellite) and open it.
In the quick setup grant it superuser rights and in the next step let it automatically map your power-button. That is all, and you can close the app now.

When you choose a gesture, make sure you assign it to the Screen Off shortcut and not the app itself (in nova this is the most right tab).
Final note: if you have the Power Button app opened (as a window in the background), using the gesture will bring it to the foreground and it will show up when you 'unlock' your screen the next time. But fortunately there is no need to ever open the app again after the initial setup, so don't worry about this.

Reactions: omnimax

jco83

Feb 14, 2013
Black Screen of Life

Here it is people! :D
Some absolute legend has made an app to do exactly this!
It uses your devices proximity sensor to detect when it's in your pocket or facing down and shuts the screen off WITHOUT locking your phone :D
Black Screen of Life
On Google Play Store

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Smart Unlock

Hey. Sounds like you need the app 'Smart Unlock' from the Play Store. It's been developed by some off the top guys from XDA.

It works by turning off the need to enter the lock screen pin/pattern when you're connected to a safe or known Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth device.

For example when you're at home just tell smart unlock that it can trust your WiFi network and BAM! Never need to enter the unlock pin again once connected to that network. It will bypass it completely and just present you with your home screen. Sounds exactly what you're looking for ?
    Hey. Sounds like you need the app 'Smart Unlock' from the Play Store. It's been developed by some off the top guys from XDA.

It works by turning off the need to enter the lock screen pin/pattern when you're connected to a safe or known Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth device.

For example when you're at home just tell smart unlock that it can trust your WiFi network and BAM! Never need to enter the unlock pin again once connected to that network. It will bypass it completely and just present you with your home screen. Sounds exactly what you're looking for ?

Thanks just bought it
    I found this: "Screen Off" by an awesome developer Konreu. Please remember to send him thanks and 5 star ratings.
    http://android.konreu.com/applications/screen-off/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.konreu.android.screenoff

It mimics the power button almost exactly without requiring root. Because of Android limitations, it takes about a second for the screen to go off.
    Hey guys,

I was having the same issue with the device also locking if I had used a gesture (double tap in nova launcher with the Screen Off and Lock app) to turn the screen off. Smart lock would only work if I had used the power button. However, I just stumbled on this obscure looking app that is able to mimick the power-button, which has fixed the issue for me. ROOT is needed for this!

Here what you need to do:
    Download an app called Power Button from the Play Store (I can't post the link, but it's by Torcellite) and open it.
    In the quick setup grant it superuser rights and in the next step let it automatically map your power-button. That is all, and you can close the app now.

When you choose a gesture, make sure you assign it to the Screen Off shortcut and not the app itself (in nova this is the most right tab).
    Final note: if you have the Power Button app opened (as a window in the background), using the gesture will bring it to the foreground and it will show up when you 'unlock' your screen the next time. But fortunately there is no need to ever open the app again after the initial setup, so don't worry about this.