FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOLS][ZIPS][SCRIPTS] osm0sis' Odds and Ends [Multiple Devices/Platforms]

13,646 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,105

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 18th April 2013, 12:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd December 2015, 10:52 PM |#451  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Just reuploaded the Busybox Installer zip to the OP with a couple fixes to the installer script. The binaries are the same so unless you had an issue there isn't really a need to reinstall.

Changes:
- improve symlink cleaning to work with different recoveries' `ls -al` output formatting.
- make symlink creation more intelligent/futureproof to work with different busybox binaries' included applets list output length.
- make systemless install "smart" by only creating applet symlinks in /su/bin for those applets that don't exist in /system/bin to avoid conflicts with toybox/toolbox versions.

The last item should help users who were seeing WiFi Calling disrupted after they installed Busybox to /su/bin, as well as issues with AdAway's webserver and root explorers like FX File Explorer being unable to remount /system rw, (to name only a few, I'm sure). /su/bin was designed to take precedence over /system/bin whereas /system/xbin does not, so by installing to /su/bin busybox was replacing some system functions it wouldn't in /system/xbin, which understandably can break some things.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd December 2015, 12:05 AM |#452  
Flag The Nothing
Thanks Meter: 22,613

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Just reuploaded the Busybox Installer zip to the OP with a couple fixes to the installer script. The binaries are the same so unless you had an issue there isn't really a need to reinstall.

Changes:
- improve symlink cleaning to work with different recoveries' `ls -al` output formatting.
- make symlink creation more intelligent/futureproof to work with different busybox binaries' included applets list output length.
- make systemless install "smart" by only creating applet symlinks in /su/bin for those applets that don't exist in /system/bin to avoid conflicts with toybox/toolbox versions.

The last item should help users who were seeing WiFi Calling disrupted after they installed Busybox to /su/bin, as well as issues with AdAway's webserver and root explorers like FX File Explorer being unable to remount /system rw, (to name only a few, I'm sure). /su/bin was designed to take precedence over /system/bin whereas /system/xbin does not, so by installing to /su/bin busybox was replacing some system functions it wouldn't in /system/xbin, which understandably can break some things.

In this installer, do you clean up /tmp at the end of the script? Because after flashing this, I'm missing a large portion of my recovery log . I'm wondering if the SuperSU installer does the same thing . . .
23rd December 2015, 12:48 AM |#453  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Throwback

In this installer, do you clean up /tmp at the end of the script? Because after flashing this, I'm missing a large portion of my recovery log . I'm wondering if the SuperSU installer does the same thing . . .

Nope. Only cleans up what it puts there:
Code:
rm -rf /tmp/busybox;
23rd December 2015, 12:57 AM |#454  
Flag The Nothing

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Nope. Only cleans up what it puts there:

Code:
rm -rf /tmp/busybox;

Have you noticed any truncation of the recovery log after flashing Busybox?
23rd December 2015, 01:00 AM |#455  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Have you noticed any truncation of the recovery log after flashing Busybox?

No, I haven't. But I haven't been looking at the logs much lately either. /system/xbin installation or /su/bin installation or both?
23rd December 2015, 01:09 AM |#456  
Flag The Nothing

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No, I haven't. But I haven't been looking at the logs much lately either. /system/xbin installation or /su/bin installation or both?

Currently, /system/xbin, but I haven't checked the log after a systemless installation, so it might be the same. I'm not positive it's the Busybox installer that's doing it, but I haven't had a chance to confirm.
23rd December 2015, 01:35 AM |#457  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Currently, /system/xbin, but I haven't checked the log after a systemless installation, so it might be the same. I'm not positive it's the Busybox installer that's doing it, but I haven't had a chance to confirm.

Yeah, doesn't make any sense given the script but let me know if you figure out it is related to my installer somehow.
23rd December 2015, 10:31 AM |#458  
Flag Delaware
Thanks Meter: 2,844

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Awesome! This fixed Solid Explorer and FC upon opening Layers Manager.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SpasilliumNexus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpasilliumNexus Ad-Free
27th December 2015, 06:53 AM |#459  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticdroid

Awesome! This fixed Solid Explorer and FC upon opening Layers Manager.

Even better, Chainfire took my suggestion to add /su/xbin and have it near the end of the path so things like busybox can be installed there and not conflict with any /system/bin counterparts. That's starting with the SuperSU 2.65 zip, so flashing that first is a prerequisite to what follows.

Accordingly, I've just reuploaded my Busybox Installer again with systemless support updated for a full install to /su/xbin if it exists, and just to still support any stragglers, it'll fallback to a smart install to /su/bin as well if /su/xbin doesn't exist.

If you'd like to switch from /su/bin to /su/xbin then please use the commands I posted in the SuperSU Beta thread, then flash the new zip.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st January 2016, 04:54 AM |#460  
Flag The Nothing

Donate to Me
More
@osm0sis

Just tried adb from your installer on my One A9 running 6.0.1, and got this error when trying to connect to a device over wireless:
Code:
[email protected]:/ $ adb connect 192.168.1.149
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE: cannot locate symbol "__register_atfork" referenced by "/system/vendor/lib/libNimsWrap.so"...
page record for 0xf740103c was not found (block_size=16)
1|[email protected]:/ $
Any idea what the issue might be? I'm rooted systemless, with SuperSU 2.65.
1st January 2016, 11:17 PM |#461  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

@osm0sis

Just tried adb from your installer on my One A9 running 6.0.1, and got this error when trying to connect to a device over wireless:

Code:
[email protected]:/ $ adb connect 192.168.1.149
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE: cannot locate symbol "__register_atfork" referenced by "/system/vendor/lib/libNimsWrap.so"...
page record for 0xf740103c was not found (block_size=16)
1|[email protected]:/ $
Any idea what the issue might be? I'm rooted systemless, with SuperSU 2.65.

That's weird, that's a linking issue, but none of the files I've included were linked to those when I checked all the binary and library dependencies.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
automation, batch, flashable zip, script, tool

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)