595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
27th December 2015, 09:27 PM |#5001  
Flag Hampshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Can't export my whitelist
I'm looking to export my Whitelist (I don't have a personal Blacklist) so that I can load it on to my new phone. When I use "Export all lists" I get a message saying that all lists have been exported to a file called adaway-export. However, I can't find this file (either using the Search function is ES Explorer or using Windows Explorer when the phone is connected to my PC).

I'm running Adaway 3.1. Phone is a Nexus 6, running 6.0.1, rooted with SuperSU 2.64 and with BusyBox installed in /system/bin.

The other aspects of AdAway seem to be working OK (ads are blocked; web server is running).

Any thoughts?
27th December 2015, 09:35 PM |#5002  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
thanks
27th December 2015, 09:38 PM |#5003  
Flag Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip

I'm looking to export my Whitelist (I don't have a personal Blacklist) so that I can load it on to my new phone. When I use "Export all lists" I get a message saying that all lists have been exported to a file called adaway-export. However, I can't find this file (either using the Search function is ES Explorer or using Windows Explorer when the phone is connected to my PC).

I'm running Adaway 3.1. Phone is a Nexus 6, running 6.0.1, rooted with SuperSU 2.64 and with BusyBox installed in /system/bin.

The other aspects of AdAway seem to be working OK (ads are blocked; web server is running).

Any thoughts?

I have it directly on internal memory (no folders), file has only name (adaway-export) no extension.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ja_som For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ja_som Ad-Free
27th December 2015, 09:49 PM |#5004  
Flag Hampshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja_som

I have it directly on internal memory (no folders), file has only name (adaway-export) no extension.

Thank you very much for checking.

I've looked in the same place and it's definitely not there on my N6 (despite having had confirmation within AdAway saying that it had been created). Hmmmmmm.

UPDATE: Just been through all my settings, and I found that AdAway didn't have "Storage" permission. Switched that on, did an "export all lists", and the file is exactly where you said that it would be.

So, is there a bug in AdAway, in that it says that it has created the file even if it hasn't?
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Philip Ad-Free
27th December 2015, 09:55 PM |#5005  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,264

More
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Check root of your internal SD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
28th December 2015, 01:12 AM |#5006  
Thanks Meter: 144

More
When AdAway merges the data into the new hosts file, does it store it temporarily somewhere and is it still available after it fails to copy it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
28th December 2015, 01:43 AM |#5007  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1,141

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomyn

When AdAway merges the data into the new hosts file, does it store it temporarily somewhere and is it still available after it fails to copy it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No, it doesn't. But this is currently in one of the Adaway feature list, though not having a high priority.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaqman89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shaqman89 Ad-Free
28th December 2015, 02:23 AM |#5008  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

...So, is there a bug in AdAway, in that it says that it has created the file even if it hasn't?

Considering the importance to so many things of having proper write access this might be better described as a minor feature request... if it is not that way by design and there are not other factors involved that we just don't know about yet. ie. Why didn't Adaway have write access?

[EDIT] Or do we now have to set that manually in CM13?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiryo

Has anyone successfully blocked ads in Opera? I'm talking about notifications like "win a phone" and speed dial entries that appear from time to time. Tried reinstalling the browser while running DNS logger, it requests 50+ domains, and I don't know which to block, blocked some with opera in name, but it did nothing.

Yes. Have you searched this thread for the word "Opera"? If the same ads dont show in other browsers there is a potential answer in the most recent post that mentions Opera before your post. Also, Opera seems to have been loading their recent app updates with junk. I hadn't used it in a while (not since their 12/15/15 update) but checked in preparation for this post and found multiple speed dial-folders full of such junk, which were not there before. Shame on Opera... but not Adaway issue.
28th December 2015, 05:08 AM |#5009  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,206

More
Quote:

Thank you very much for checking.

I've looked in the same place and it's definitely not there on my N6 (despite having had confirmation within AdAway saying that it had been created). Hmmmmmm.

UPDATE: Just been through all my settings, and I found that AdAway didn't have "Storage" permission. Switched that on, did an "export all lists", and the file is exactly where you said that it would be.

So, is there a bug in AdAway, in that it says that it has created the file even if it hasn't?

AdAway can only report what the underlying operating system tells it...

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiryo

Has anyone successfully blocked ads in Opera? I'm talking about notifications like "win a phone" and speed dial entries that appear from time to time. Tried reinstalling the browser while running DNS logger, it requests 50+ domains, and I don't know which to block, blocked some with opera in name, but it did nothing.

I haven't used Opera in ages, but I believe that by default current Opera releases implement a "data compression" scheme which is nothing but a proxy for all http connections, effectively bypassing any local DNS resolution (and ignoring the local hosts file). Switch to a different browser or disable that "feature" and you'll magically regain control over which ads you want to see, preferably by using AdAway even if only with the default source files....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
28th December 2015, 05:12 AM |#5010  
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqman89

No, it doesn't. But this is currently in one of the Adaway feature list, though not having a high priority.

OK, no worries, just trying to figure a way to get my Nexus 6 to update even if it means copying that file manually.

Just a thought for a future release would be to include a build date/time into the remarks at the head of the file to help check when it was really built by AdAway. When playing around with symlinks and binds it's not so easy to tell which file is being looked at when the file's datestamp may have been changed.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
28th December 2015, 05:22 AM |#5011  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

AdAway can only report what the underlying operating system tells it...

Ahhhh.... Sounds like something might be missing in CM although: Since we would not want a toast for all app induced write operations (of which there may be many occurring in the background) where would the responsibility lie for a toast after a user induced action within from within an app?

[EDIT] Expanding on the chicken-or-egg-first nature of this question: Even if the OS were responsible for delivering the toast wouldn't it be up to the app to tell the system that a particular action/result is not background activity and warrants a toast... but then we do see the toast for the successful write which seems to put onus on CM to deliver the toast for failed write. Chicken? Eggs? Toast? I'm getting hungry .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

...Opera releases implement a "data compression" scheme which is nothing but a proxy for all http connections, effectively bypassing any local DNS resolution (and ignoring the local hosts file).

It's almost certainly that, as described by the post I suggested searching for. Some searches are just to easy to be given a free pass
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)