Guide for those struggling with 'Adopt SD as Internal Storage' in Marshmallow

Search This thread

arunmcops

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 20, 2010
Bareilly
OnePlus 6
Xiaomi Poco F3
The first time you boot up your marshmallow device, you will receive a notification asking if you want to use your SD card as Internal or Storage. If you use storage its like any other external storage. But if you choose Internal, it will format your SD card to ext4 just like you would if you were to use Link2SD.
Now most of the apps will be stored on this SD card. However some won't and that's when you'll start running out of space. But that's not the case. Hidden inside is the option to move these apps to the SD card as well (along with the entire data and obb files). This is what you gotta do:

1. Go to Storage & USB
  2. Go to Internal Storage
  3. Go to Apps
  4. Select the app
  5. Select the option 'Change' and select your SD Card and then select Move from the 'Move Authenticator' and it's done!

Mind you, that the pre installed apps and the bloatware cannot be shifted this way. However it won't matter. you will still have around 900 MB free and even if the pre installed apps take up cache space there is plenty of space.
Enjoy!

Edit: Restart your phone after that otherwise the partition won't show up if you connect your phone to the PC.

How to get Camera Working ? Its asking for SDCard ...

blackMidas

Oct 13, 2015
Camera and file explorer problem

I also have the same problem. Ever since i use my sd card as internal storage, the camera ask for sd card, unless i can't use the app. Also, I couldn't use file managerand file transfer app such as Xender.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

matrix2897

Nov 20, 2014
I cannot install Facebook app(not Lite)... No matter what... Is it because sd card internal storage? Has anyone faced this problem?

Karbonn Sparkle V

Oct 6, 2015
How to Recover Data?

Adoptable storage is fantastic as it removes the problem of low internal storage.
But what if my phone is bricked, or something like that, will I LOSE all my data?
Coz, You cant use that SD in card reader or other phone, right? Is there a solution?
Thanks

itskaran007

Oct 6, 2013
The first time you boot up your marshmallow device, you will receive a notification asking if you want to use your SD card as Internal or Storage. If you use storage its like any other external storage. But if you choose Internal, it will format your SD card to ext4 just like you would if you were to use Link2SD.
Now most of the apps will be stored on this SD card. However some won't and that's when you'll start running out of space. But that's not the case. Hidden inside is the option to move these apps to the SD card as well (along with the entire data and obb files). This is what you gotta do:

1. Go to Storage & USB
  3. Go to Apps
  4. Select the app
  5. Select the option 'Change' and select your SD Card and then select Move from the 'Move Authenticator' and it's done!

Mind you, that the pre installed apps and the bloatware cannot be shifted this way. However it won't matter. you will still have around 900 MB free and even if the pre installed apps take up cache space there is plenty of space.
Enjoy!

Edit: Restart your phone after that otherwise the partition won't show up if you connect your phone to the PC.

Even After Formatting Sd Card As Internal, I Got Same Amount Of Internal As After Moving Apps To Sd Card Earlier.?

arshavin69

Jul 27, 2012
Nope, haven't faced a restart yet. However I moved WhatsApp to SD and after it got an update it was automatically moved back to internal causing it to lose its chat history. Moving it back to SD let me restore my last backup though.

Complete f*ck up from google,I am consistently getting 'low internal storage error' on many apps like beetalk with both--sd as portable and internal setup and all this despite having lots of space on internal and sd.What have you done google?Need to fix this soon,I have to move back to lollipop for the time being.

Wapu

Sep 16, 2010
Seoul
QUESTION:
after making 'Adopt SD as Internal Storage' in Marshmallow. my SD card wont work on Laptop and PC with SD Card readers directly??

Converting the SD to use internally formats it as an EXT4 partition and encrypts the contents. Windows PC don't natively mount EXT4 partitions (without 3rd party software). As well, the contents are encrypted so only the original phone can read it.

Reactions: a.fontenele

DevilMind007

Dec 3, 2011
Islamabad
Converting the SD to use internally formats it as an EXT4 partition and encrypts the contents. Windows PC don't natively mount EXT4 partitions (without 3rd party software). As well, the contents are encrypted so only the original phone can read it.

Thanks,
this means i should alwas keep SD card as External storage only, Not Internal.
Because i use my SD card on Laptop. PC and other mobiles. making it Internal will limit it to one and only mobile compaible. after format i can use it on anythig else.
Internal storage is good for those who ant to keep all their Media Pic Video files and data Private, so that even on stolen or lost phone no one can see their private stuff.

eyckenstein

Feb 3, 2010
Hi,
I am using on my Moto G2 the internal storage option. Now I received today my new SD Card and am struggling to find an easy option to transfer all from my 'old' internal storage SD Card to my new internal storage SD Card. Is there an easy way?

MotoAnjney

Jun 25, 2015
Cannot Flash Zips In CM13 TWRP 2.8.7.0

Internal Storage is also encrypted so i can't flash zips!!!!!!
Please help as Flashify ,built in cmupdater and other flashing apps are not working.
TWRP Shows only only one folder in internal storage named "TWRP" IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg:(:(:(:(:(:(
I HAVE TWRP 2.8.7.0 AND CM 13 20151204 But can't flash the updates
**UPDATE**
I FIGURED IT OUT SEE THE POST BELOW | |
V V

Last edited:

MotoAnjney

Jun 25, 2015
Help for those who can't flash ZIPs

When you boot into the recovery to flash a file and only see 1 folder named TWRP And can't find ur file Do the following
1.Boot into CM13
2.Install any file explorer with root permissions(FX With root add-on preferably)
3.NAVIGATE TO SYSTEM ROOT
4.Click the search button and type in TWRP
5.It could take a while
6.copy your ZIP Flies in that folder
7.Boot into Recovery
8.open the TWRP Folder and you will see you files there
9.Happy Flashing!

Reactions: iG0tB0lts

Leomas

Jan 9, 2016
Guys is there a way to Backup using TWRP or Philz on Android One (Canvas A1) on External SD card which you have formatted as internal? I keep getting a message:
"Backup Complete.
Failed"
on it. But when I reformat my sd card to portable, it works fine. Is there a way to backup while the sd card acts as internal memory?

Reactions: tube517

Apmauj

Sep 13, 2014
Montevideo
When you boot into the recovery to flash a file and only see 1 folder named TWRP And can't find ur file Do the following
1.Boot into CM13
2.Install any file explorer with root permissions(FX With root add-on preferably)
5.It could take a while
7.Boot into Recovery
9.Happy Flashing!

Not sure about your solution (was not very clear since seach returned 4 different TWRP folders), but copied the CM file to /Data and worked! :cool:

sumedhs

Dec 11, 2014
thane
I am not able to move any of the googles apps, or even whatsapp to the sd card. I got a new card today itself, n formatted as internal storage. I however moved some of my games to the sd card.
Also, can't i use the card to store my media? Because, my apps are lesser than media. So in that case, I'll use the card as portable storage

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Go to Storage & USB
    3. Go to Apps
    4. Select the app

Enjoy!

1.Boot into CM13
    5.It could take a while
    7.Boot into Recovery
    9.Happy Flashing!

Not sure about your solution (was not very clear since seach returned 4 different TWRP folders), but copied the CM file to /Data and worked! :cool:
    QUESTION:
    after making 'Adopt SD as Internal Storage' in Marshmallow. my SD card wont work on Laptop and PC with SD Card readers directly??

Help for those who can't flash ZIPs

1.Boot into CM13
    5.It could take a while
    7.Boot into Recovery
    9.Happy Flashing!
    Guys is there a way to Backup using TWRP or Philz on Android One (Canvas A1) on External SD card which you have formatted as internal? I keep getting a message:
    "Backup Complete.
    Failed"
    on it. But when I reformat my sd card to portable, it works fine. Is there a way to backup while the sd card acts as internal memory?