ting: Not able to send or receive MMS

Search This thread

jamesnearn

Jun 7, 2008
This solution applies to the ting network... just posting here in case someone else has this issue.

Symptom: People did not receive pictures we sent and we did not receive pictures that they sent.

Environment:
I am using a Samsung Galaxy SIII, CM10 rom, using cm-10-20121118-NIGHTLY
My wife is using a Samsung Galaxy SIII, stock rom, rooted, but without the latest patch.

Solution for my phone:
  • It seems there was no obvious way to natively edit the MMS setting with CM10. Various sources indicated I needed to edit a file. To make things easier, I installed DropBear SSH server.
    play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.shkschneider.dropbearserver[/url]
  • SSH in, then remount the file system:
  • root@android:/ # cd /system/etc
  • root@android:/system/etc # mount -o rw,remount /system
  • Using vi, I altered /system/etc/apns-conf.xml to replace references for mms.sprintpcs.com to be mms.plspictures.com
  • Rebooted, MMS now works. Reboot may not have been necessary even.

Solution for my wife's phone:
  • dial ##DATA#
  • select Edit
  • enter MSL (obtain from ting)
  • select Others
  • select MMSC URL
  • change from mms.sprintpcs.com to mms.plspictures.com
  • save and reboot
jamesnearn.blogspot.com/2012/11/not-receiving-mms-w-ting-on-my-samsung.html

Last edited:

seltzered

Feb 2, 2012
James, did you buy your SGS3 straight from ting? Or was it originally a sprint one you had and then switched over?

Curious because I'm trying to look for sprint SGS3 users who have successfully switched to ting.

Master K

Feb 1, 2006
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Easy method for CM10

An even easier method for CM10 is to modify the apns-conf.xml before flashing.

What I did is as follows:

1. Download the apns-conf.zip attached to this post. (do not flash it read below!)
  2. Extract the apns-conf.xml from that zip and save for step below.
  3. Download CM10 file to be flashed.
  4. Open in winrar or another program that allows you to edit a zip.
  5. Browse to /system/etc/ and drop in the apns-conf.xml to replace the regular version.
  6. Flash as usual and MMS and LTE will be set already.
If you flash often there is another option. I have a custom flashable zip I created with custom ringtones and some other stuff I like so I added the file into that zip. I simply flash that after flashing the Rom and the file is overwritten.

Attachments

• apns-conf.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: Frostacious

hiyawhatthe

Feb 19, 2011
outstanding

james, your solution is a little tech-heavy, but it's exactly what i was looking for. i edited the xml file on my rooted and flashed (currently liquidsmooth) samsung galaxy s3, rebooted, and voila, functional mms. i tried at first just using a terminal... but wow what a pain haha. ssh + putty is definitely the way to go. thanks a ton.

Reactions: Frostacious

Hypocritus

Oct 8, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Voyager Mobile MMS settings

This solution applies to the ting network... just posting here in case someone else has this issue.

Symptom: People did not receive pictures we sent and we did not receive pictures that they sent.

Environment:
My wife is using a Samsung Galaxy SIII, stock rom, rooted, but without the latest patch.

Solution for my phone:
  • It seems there was no obvious way to natively edit the MMS setting with CM10. Various sources indicated I needed to edit a file. To make things easier, I installed DropBear SSH server.
  • Using vi, I altered /system/etc/apns-conf.xml to replace references for mms.sprintpcs.com to be mms.plspictures.com

• dial ##DATA#
  • select Edit
  • select Others
  • select MMSC URL
  • save and reboot

This is the same solution that Voyager Mobile (another Sprint MVNO) has you do.

I brought my own EVO 3D to Voyager Mobile. After searching for a couple hours over a couple of days, I figured out what "else" i had to do besides the above instructions. I had to delete the MMS "proxy" address and "port".

So, in EPST (##3282#),
go to "Advanced"
at the very bottom, choose "MMSC Setting"

pre 1): take a screenshot of what you see in case you need to put it back. For my ROM, hold down power button till a menu pops up, choose "screenshot".
1) MMSC: (if not already done, change to "http://mms.plspictures.com" like above.
2) MMS proxy: (not set) (I had to delete the address that was here)
3) MMS port: (not set) (had to delete)

After I deleted the "proxy" server address and "port", the settings took effect immediately (didn't have to save. I'd prob go back into EPST just to check) and I was able to receive MMS.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jamesnearn

Jun 7, 2008
James, did you buy your SGS3 straight from ting? Or was it originally a sprint one you had and then switched over?

Curious because I'm trying to look for sprint SGS3 users who have successfully switched to ting.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before, and my response might not be relevant anymore, but I purchased directly from Ting. They still rock. :)

jtalaiver

Nov 30, 2007
Sorry, I didn't see your reply before, and my response might not be relevant anymore, but I purchased directly from Ting. They still rock. :)

I am just now joining this specific thread cause my wife has just moved over to Ting with her SGS3 and I am working through the foibles of the transition...

Did the APN swap and that seemed to resolve the LTE coverage but still hung on MMS... might try a few more things to determine whats happening

vwags

Feb 13, 2011
Los Angeles
I have moved 6 phones to Ting, 3 of them S3 and haven't had any problems with any of them. I use Google Voice for texting so for pictures I use the messaging app

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
First contact with your service provider that your Data option is activated from backend or not ?
If yes then set the settings of MMS in MMS settings option then restart your cell phone then send first MMS on your own number for the confirmation of Sending and Receiving.

Why are you telling him this? He lists the solution in the post.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

misternils

Jan 12, 2016
Any other help with this?

I have a GSIII sprint on the TING network. MMS will not work, I've tried every solution I have found, installing the APN's fresh with a new rom then wiping it, I tried this advanced method setup an SSH server and altered the APN (which was fine, it had all the right info in it or at least was the exact one I had downloaded and flashed).

Any other solutions for this phone? I almost am ready to go back to stock but i'd love to avoid that since stock blows on this phone. I'd rather not have to get a new phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Environment:

Solution for my phone:

• dial ##DATA#
    • select Edit
    • select Others
    • select MMSC URL
    • save and reboot
    Easy method for CM10

An even easier method for CM10 is to modify the apns-conf.xml before flashing.

What I did is as follows:

1. Download the apns-conf.zip attached to this post. (do not flash it read below!)
    2. Extract the apns-conf.xml from that zip and save for step below.
    3. Download CM10 file to be flashed.
    4. Open in winrar or another program that allows you to edit a zip.
    5. Browse to /system/etc/ and drop in the apns-conf.xml to replace the regular version.
    6. Flash as usual and MMS and LTE will be set already.
    If you flash often there is another option. I have a custom flashable zip I created with custom ringtones and some other stuff I like so I added the file into that zip. I simply flash that after flashing the Rom and the file is overwritten.
    outstanding

james, your solution is a little tech-heavy, but it's exactly what i was looking for. i edited the xml file on my rooted and flashed (currently liquidsmooth) samsung galaxy s3, rebooted, and voila, functional mms. i tried at first just using a terminal... but wow what a pain haha. ssh + putty is definitely the way to go. thanks a ton.