[SOLVED] Nexus 7 headphone jack problem - sound not coming from one side of earphone/

Search This thread

easystuff

May 24, 2014
Alternative solution

For those who want a faster way to solve this problem:cyclops:

First and foremost, I don't personally recommend doing this unless you are 100% sure you know what are doing. If you do it with too much force or in case the problem keeps coming back (the metal part inside is bent or too loose) you might damage your charger/usb plug.

So the thing is you have to plug in your usb and hold it firm and steady by the "head" and use it as a tool to push the inner part very! gently to its original place. You can do it by pressing it against the screen, so that the inner part moves up a bit away from the opening at the bottom of the tablet. At least for me that was the correct direction. Be very gentle to avoid damaging your usb plug!
Usually this problem occurs when you accidentally do the same thing with big force, like mishandling your tablet while the usb is plugged in...
For me it took 5 seconds to solve this problem (after I checked the solution of course...) and did not have to open the tablet case, but success is likely to depend on the amount of initial damage. If the issue comes back you should probably do the taping stuff, for me this just worked fine.

Hope I could help those lazy guys like me☺

kapitanbasa

Jun 1, 2011
Problem... This initially worked but the other side died again a few days later. Did everything from the taping to the springy stuff.

sirecram

Sep 6, 2014
NOTE: This is not my solution... Credit goes to someone else

So I have been using nexus 7 for past 11 months... At first the headphone jack was working fine, I was getting good sound from both the ear buds but then it stopped working nd i never really cared about it because I use headphones with my nexus 7 less. But now that I got myself a JBL J04 I wanted to watch movies with these beasts on.... So i did some digging on net.

PROBLEM: The headphone jack is not working fine, it was giving sound in only one side of headphone(left one in my case) but when plugging a speaker jack it seemed to work fine. I have used both creative speakers and mini speakers. I have used mine skullcandy earphones and also jbl headphones but sound was only coming from one side... And in jbl headphones it was coming very very low.

SOLUTION: When you open up the back cover and see the loudspeakers module... There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed. So we need to TAPE THIS REVEALED COPPER side and voila mine headphones got working like a charm. For a good reference image is attached. This worked in my case so I dnt know maybe it will work for others or not. And yeah in my case I used black electrical tape.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thanks a lot for this tip !!! :good:

Reactions: The Mickey 77

KXF

Mar 10, 2015
As good as new!

Thanks a million to you and that someone. Saved me a lot of time and money in this case as interacting with Asus cus. care is a bit of a task. :good:

Jacko1994

Apr 17, 2015

So I have been using nexus 7 for past 11 months... At first the headphone jack was working fine, I was getting good sound from both the ear buds but then it stopped working nd i never really cared about it because I use headphones with my nexus 7 less. But now that I got myself a JBL J04 I wanted to watch movies with these beasts on.... So i did some digging on net.

PROBLEM: The headphone jack is not working fine, it was giving sound in only one side of headphone(left one in my case) but when plugging a speaker jack it seemed to work fine. I have used both creative speakers and mini speakers. I have used mine skullcandy earphones and also jbl headphones but sound was only coming from one side... And in jbl headphones it was coming very very low.

SOLUTION: When you open up the back cover and see the loudspeakers module... There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed. So we need to TAPE THIS REVEALED COPPER side and voila mine headphones got working like a charm. For a good reference image is attached. This worked in my case so I dnt know maybe it will work for others or not. And yeah in my case I used black electrical tape.

If speakers work fine, the problem might be in the headphone jack contacts, as was in my case. One of the contacts was broken and I could hear sound only from the right earphone. So I just put something between the jack and the back cover and now everything works great!

Oh my god! All of you are genius! Thank you you so much

Reactions: The Mickey 77

The Mickey 77

Oct 11, 2015
This worked for me on a google nexus 7 tablet. It seems that the headphone socket unit comes out a bit. I actually used a small pice of card and sellotape ( that's what I had to hand) so that it is wedged down firmly in place when the back cover is back on. That back cover comes off by running a thumbnail between the back and the screen and then just clips back on no problem. Thankyou very much for this tip as I was about to spend £40 on a pair of Bluetooth headphones. It's actually my sons nexus and although it's a couple of years old it's hardly been used and is in perfect condition so it is definately a design fault as I also have an older iPad that's been used continually with no problems. Come on google sort your shoddy goods out.

Gargonaught

Nov 28, 2015
Resurrecting this to add another easy fix for one side audio not working. The cloth tape on the jack is conductive, I found by lifting the tape away from the headphone jack solder points it restored full audio. I'm not sure what the tape is used for (maybe grounding tape?) But by moving it so it doesn't touch the solder joints fixed mine. Hope it solves others who still have problems.

Gragonaught.

Reactions: code_311 and nh7o

no31415926

Dec 15, 2014
Placebo-Solution

There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed.

There is no conductive part when you look from the back towards these tiny speakers. Its enclosure is completely made of plastics. Placing an insulator here has no effect.
I think this is just a "placebo effect" because you opened it and applied forces to it. The real cause is somewhere directly at the connector, as some other guys mentioned the failure has gone when the applied a force to it.

I have resoldered the contacts of the connectors and the failure is completely gone with my device.

Regards,
Martin

Reactions: nh7o

nh7o

Jan 31, 2016
Just had this happen. The Nexus fell a few inches, but landed right on the headphone jack. Pulling off the conductive fabric tape restored the audio. I noticed that a simple tiny thread was loose from the fabric, so that may have been the cause. This could be why others had success just opening the case and fiddling with it or putting stress on the case.

I reflowed the solder to be sure, using an iron with a much too large tip that I then wrapped with a small piece of copper wire to make a small enough tip.

DennisFaucher

Mar 2, 2016
Thank you so much

Thank you for breathing new life into my trusty Nexus 7. I use the tablet every morning while working out and only having one ear bud working all of a sudden was a bit of a pain. You could actually see the copper showing through where the paint had worn off the speaker. I covered with electrical tape and now both ear buds work. Thank you for sharing this fix. I have attached a picture of my worn speaker for others.

z5dRihLgyCJS5P257

DennisFaucher

Mar 2, 2016
Sharpie Works Too

The electrical tape was affecting the sound of the speakers and I noticed that it was really only paint keeping the metal from conducting, so I removed the tape and colored all the worn copper sections of the speaker with black Sharpie. Works just as well, if not better.

Efrainrg

Jul 4, 2017
None of the solutions posted here worked for me.
The problem an the solution is simple. I will continue in Spanish because I couldn't do in English.
El problema es que el sonido y la alimentación están en un mismo conector, que se va aflojando cada vez que uno conecta y desconecta el cable de alimentación, lo cual afecta las saludas de audio. Lo que hay que hacer es levantar la pestaña en forma de bisagra que presiona el flex dentro del conector fijo a la placa, insertar bien dicho flex dentro del conector, e inmovilizar todo usando una capa fina de cemento epóxico que cubra tanto la pestaña de fijación como la parte del flex próxima a dicha pestaña.
Esa es una solución definitiva al problema. Así lo Arreglé yo hace mas de dos años.

spark001uk

Jan 14, 2010
Surrey, Untidy Kingdom
Another grave digger, just to add my experience to it. Both speakers had bare copper showing at the bottom, so taped over it and it made no difference.
The actual problem appears to be exactly as a few have already said - the little piece of conductive cloth tape (earthing the jack to the corner screw) has a tendency to fray. It might not be readily visible, but it only has to be the slightest hair and it'll cause problems. I moved mine and repositioned it directly on top of the jack's metal shroud, but you can just remove it altogether if you want, it doesn't really do much it's just additional grounding that's all. Problem has gone now.

_never_mind_

Dec 23, 2012
So many years later, today my Nexus 7 started to have the same issue.

Thank you for the solution, it worked also for me!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If speakers work fine, the problem might be in the headphone jack contacts, as was in my case. One of the contacts was broken and I could hear sound only from the right earphone. So I just put something between the jack and the back cover and now everything works great!
    This post saved me a bunch of time and trial and error. I was not getting sound from my left headphone and found a small piece of plastic from packaging solved the problem. I just folded it to make it springy and tight when compressed and it just stuck to the input jack (I provided images). So when I snap the battery cover back on it pushes the headphone jack back into place. Free 5 minute fix.

ZTdxWPb.jpg

I03VoF1.jpg
    Image for solution

Resurrecting this to add another easy fix for one side audio not working. The cloth tape on the jack is conductive, I found by lifting the tape away from the headphone jack solder points it restored full audio. I'm not sure what the tape is used for (maybe grounding tape?) But by moving it so it doesn't touch the solder joints fixed mine. Hope it solves others who still have problems.

Gragonaught.