Sony Z1 Compact screen protector & tempered glass list

Search This thread

parkblu

Jan 18, 2012
FL & BY
Just as I started to write this post, DHL rang the door bell and delivered my D5503. Nice.

Since I'll be heading to Germany in September, I will try out the Mumbi protectors: two matte ones at amazon.de for 3.94 Euros, rated 4.7 stars in 84 reviews. That's limited risk.

I don't think they can bought in the US. But since I benefit so much from xda-knowledge, I thought I can repay the favour by offering to bring some back for personal use if anyone here is interested. You'd pay cost only: exchange rate at time of purchase, amazon.de cost and US shipping from FL, which can't be much.

Sichroteph

Mar 15, 2009
I have very little scratch on the original plastic film.
From your experience, are they still noticeable after putting a tempered glass on it?

abhijitcp

May 9, 2013
Bangalore
are you talking about this? I have one of this "PICS" and i love it. It does have camera and flash cutout therefore no flashbleed at all. Not thinking to do a review of this as not worth the time and effort. by looking at the picture you could see everything you need to know.
xpz_dg01.jpg

hi...where did you buy these from? can you post links?

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
I broke my brando back protector after I managed to drop my phone, back first. Original plastic back is undamaged. I have a sticker on top of brando back protector and will still use the cracked protector for now.

Attachments

• crack.JPG
    crack.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 495
Does it trigger proximity sensor as it does not have any cutout.

Hi, I installed the same Orzly over the ASF and my screen turned off the moment I made a phone call. Installed some sensor readout app and indeed it triggers the prox sensor (unless my sensor died minutes before installing). Does anybody know if removing the ASF resolves this, is it triggered by plastic on plastic (the back of the Orzly)?
I prefer to keep the ASF on and am not keen on removing the Orzly either...

tegeatis

May 17, 2014
Hi, I installed the same Orzly over the ASF and my screen turned off the moment I made a phone call. Installed some sensor readout app and indeed it triggers the prox sensor (unless my sensor died minutes before installing). Does anybody know if removing the ASF resolves this, is it triggered by plastic on plastic (the back of the Orzly)?
I prefer to keep the ASF on and am not keen on removing the Orzly either...

I have the Brando installed over the ASF, which also doesn't have cutouts for the sensor and the camera, and almost a year now haven't noticed any problems.

I have the Brando installed over the ASF, which also doesn't have cutouts for the sensor and the camera, and almost a year now haven't noticed any problems.

Thanks for the answer.
Very strange, guess I have to lift the protector and see if it's not the sensor messing up after all...

Edit: I could not easely lift the protector (the downside of rounded edges) and I don't want to ruin a 13 euro piece of glass. I noticed that in bright sunlight (yes, today we have that annual sunny day here) it actually works! It's a "all or nothing" sensor, it reports 0 or 5cm, nothing in between. Maybe they've switched sensors in my model (left the factory december 2014)?
Strange thing is that my front cam is working fine (also covered by glass).

Waiting for more input before trying anything else (like removing ASF).

Last edited:

quixoticduck

Aug 26, 2013
Hi I have read through the thread a little but not managed to find an answer, although I may have missed it.

I'm scared to void my warranty so not taking off the built in screen protector. Would it be fine to put a tempered glass one on top? Screen sensitivity be ok? Thank you.

As for which one to get, I'm in the UK and going to look for one not too expensive. Hoping proximity sensor won't be an issue. Thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZNTZG2DN65CX or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C550PAETAROE

Other than that I think I'll get a gel case to protect it.
Ps. I'm jealous of those people who got this phone in lime. :(

Reactions: pathaniya

asmad

Jul 30, 2012
bangor
I don't think it's worth pulling the ASF from the phone. If it's faulty because of the glass screen protector then you need to remove this and see if it improves. If it's still got the fault, then phone should be returned to shop. If fault dissappears then get a plain plastic screen protector and try it.

I've had my compact for well over a year. Dropped it many times but the screens always survived without a mark. I just change my screen protector every 5 or 6 months or when it looks a bit tatty. Screen protector gets the scuffs and scratches and everything is perfect beneath.

They're a well built phone and are pretty tough. Unlike iPhones which seem to break at the slightest little knock the ASF on the here seem to give it a real toughness.

Either way, it's all about personal choice. Whatever you think will be the best choice for you.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: quixoticduck

WetsHD

Sep 4, 2011
I'm using the Nuglas tempered glass also came with back film protector as a bonus. It's high quality, does the job and less fingerprint magnet.

pathaniya

May 28, 2010
Hi I have read through the thread a little but not managed to find an answer, although I may have missed it.

I'm scared to void my warranty so not taking off the built in screen protector. Would it be fine to put a tempered glass one on top? Screen sensitivity be ok? Thank you.

As for which one to get, I'm in the UK and going to look for one not too expensive. Hoping proximity sensor won't be an issue. Thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZNTZG2DN65CX or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C550PAETAROE

Other than that I think I'll get a gel case to protect it.
Ps. I'm jealous of those people who got this phone in lime. :(

That's me, I've got lime :D

pokator

Jan 23, 2016
Houston
I'm a bit confused

Ok, so I also have a Xperia Z1 Compact. It has become scratched quite a bit on the front, and as a result, I was considering changing it out. How exactly do I go about doing this? Do I remove the ASF and replace it with another layer (I'm considering rhino shield atm, please mention what is a better/cheaper option), or do I have to buy another ASF (I hope not), and THEN buy the RhinoShield and put it on top?

Thank you so much!

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

This look very interesting to me - Crystalusion (I saw it on Youtube - site Btek)

Several people have complained about that being a rather ineffective protector, as it has often come off after a few days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Received Crystal Armor today. Direct link in page 1, feels better with no finger print now but screen feels bit slippery, took me 15 mins to put it on properly.

Following are the pics:
    CYMERA_20140220_172547_zps7560dbaa.jpg

IMAG0534_zps1176daf3.jpg

CYMERA_20140220_172713_zpsee4666e9.jpg

IMAG0536_zpsf0e04698.jpg

IMAG0537_zps32485ba6.jpg

IMAG0535_zps67f897ad.jpg

IMAG0538_zps5e4df5f3.jpg

IMAG0543_zps2db92095.jpg

IMAG0540_zps8e908970.jpg

IMAG0539_zpsc16855e5.jpg

IMAG0542_zps5976422c.jpg

IMAG0541_zps1fa4eba0.jpg

IMAG0544_zpsa07429bc.jpg

AFTER put on: ----
    IMAG1485_zpsc8977ce3.jpg

IMAG1492_zpsbc76ddd4.jpg

IMAG1487_zpsfdfd9b90.jpg

IMAG1488_zps22981766.jpg

IMAG1491_zps4c0cc2d0.jpg
    I've created a thread HERE to summarized all the Tempered Glass we could find for Z1 Compact to save time for browsing through this thread & posts. Some reviews and details were gathered through here and credit for users who give feedback + reviews about experiences.
    If I am correct that the Z1f (Japan Version) and the Z1 Compact is indeed the same screen size/ sensors/ camera & flash location. After few days of researching there are already few Tempered Glass out for Z1f in Japan.

I am liking the Crystal Armor and will soon place an order, will update once received.

List : -
    Crystal Armor (Glass) 9H (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/keitai/item/151-450850/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_02_en)
    ITO Pro+ Glass (http://colorantonline.com/) (Glass) 9H
    Ray-out (http://www.ray-out.co.jp/) Might not be Glass but (Silicon film) 9H
    ZENUS Luminous (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kawa/item/roaz2988/) 9H
    Here's my quick review of Rhino Shield for Xperia Z1 Compact.

I did say it does decrease the contrast a tiny bit. Here's a picture to show you what I mean:
    21ewbn.jpg

As you can see, the part where the cutout is looks darker/more black. So the protector isn't 100% clear but it's clear enough and I don't find it obtrusive at all. It's only noticable on certain angles in bright/direct sunlight anyway.

More pictures:
    2njkdxv.jpg

11gq6tx.jpg

(Notice the cutouts)

I couldn't apply it perfectly 100% - You can see some imperfections around the front camera cutout. But it's just because of my clumsy hands/inability to do these stuff well. It's actually very easy to apply - There's no need for "liquid solution", soapy water or whatsoever. And it's quite flexible, unlike some tempered glass protectors.

So far it seems like it's pretty scratch-resistant and I can wipe it clean easily.
    It's not completely oleophobic but it's not that bad either. It's not slippery and it's definitely not rubbery.
    Overall, I really like it.

I hope this quick review has been useful/helpful.
    Rhino Shield

Hi, I've had the Rhino Shield for a couple of days now.

When I first received it, I wanted to send it back because the shield/film had smudges, dots and scratches on it, luckily these were only on the film you were supposed to peel of. Still, for the money paid, I would expect something better.

Installation is not as easy as one might think, as I've done it at work, managed to get a tiny speck of dust on the front, that became 5 specs of dust when I peeled it off to adjust it/remove the first one.

I just came back from a night out, knowing I would get another Rhino Shield because of the specks of dust, I showed it to my friends, and scratched it with a key....it failed.....badly, like really miserably. Before my Z1c I've had a HTC One X with an Invisible Shield, I;ve scratched it with a key, cut fries on the screen while in a restaurant for fun, and the Zagg Invisible shield never complained, it just took it like a champ. There were marks on it of course, but they weren't deep, and they "healed" within a couple of days, and if not, I could always return it for a new one.

The key scratches on my Rhino Shield are deep (I didn't even use force), and can be felt when you touch it or use your fingernail. I'll give it a chance to self-heal, see how they are in a couple of days, but I must say I'm very disappointed with this product, which in my opinion is inferior to the Invisbile Shield.

I think I will go with a tempered glass one , Crystal Armor or Brando next, so I won't have this problem.

Below pictures of the films as they came plus result after keying. I will post an update on Tusesday or Wednesday.

PS: In my humble opinion Sony's superior auto mode sucks donkey balls, I was very disappointed with settings/quality of pics to the point where I have to chose manual settings each time, and still get some weird results. I prefer the auto mode on my HTC One X, I will let you judge which set of pictures is better. Sony;s camera/software seems to over-sharpen and adds a grainy effect, please let me know if I'm the only one suffering from this as I might drop them a line, I'm not happy at all.