Skyrocket banned from being sold in US.

Search This thread

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Kind of pointless for a phone that hasn't been discontinued for years. That phone come out in late 2011 and was a piece of **** anyways.
Some people still use it, even if it's just used as a music player. Saying that it was a piece of excrement is merely your opinion. It was about a year ago that I switched from my old Skyrocket to the Moto G 2014 I'm using now, but the switch was a personal choice. It still worked quite well.

Reactions: rjohnstone

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Some people still use it, even if it's just used as a music player. Saying that it was a piece of excrement is merely your opinion. It was about a year ago that I switched from my old Skyrocket to the Moto G 2014 I'm using now, but the switch was a personal choice. It still worked quite well.

It isn't really opinion. It was so slow that I missed like 75% of calls because it took so long to register the swipe to answer. I would launch even as simple app like the calculator and count to 3 before it even started to show on the screen. Even a factory reset didn't make any difference. The battery life was terrible too. An 1.5 hours screen on time with 8 hours off the charger and the battery was dead and even buying a new battery didn't help. I also had to replace the back cover 3 times because of how easily it wore out.

I'm 32 years old and have made a LOT of purchases in my life. Buying the Skyrocket was literally the worst purchasing decision I ever made. When I replaced it(after .5 years of ok use and 1.5 years of hell) with my Nexus 5 I actually smashed the phone with a hammer.

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Kind of pointless for a phone that hasn't been discontinued for years. That phone come out in late 2011 and was a piece of **** anyways.
speak for yourself.
mines going onto 4yrs of use, still my dd, everything works, boots up fast to cm10.2, every app works, quick and responsive, original battery, dropped it numerous times and nothing broke, best phone ive ever had.
i read ur other post and maybe you just got a lemon as there are still many users using this phone considering its 4yrs old, not too many phones last that long w/out some kind of failure

Last edited:

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
speak for yourself.
mines going onto 4yrs of use, still my dd, everything works, boots up fast to cm10.2, every app works, quick and responsive, original battery, dropped it numerous times and nothing broke, best phone ive ever had.
i read ur other post and maybe you just got a lemon as there are still many users using this phone considering its 4yrs old, not too many phones last that long w/out some kind of failure

Maybe with a custom ROM it might be a little better. With the stock Samsung ROM it was awful even after factory reset. As far as hardware goes the build quality was still terrible. At the end I almost couldn't charge it any more since the USB port got so damn loose. If I picked up the phone while it was plugged in the USB cable literally fell out of the port. And the back cover, what a joke.

jondroid2

Aug 9, 2012
Maybe with a custom ROM it might be a little better. With the stock Samsung ROM it was awful even after factory reset. As far as hardware goes the build quality was still terrible. At the end I almost couldn't charge it any more since the USB port got so damn loose. If I picked up the phone while it was plugged in the USB cable literally fell out of the port. And the back cover, what a joke.

Still going strong here! All original parts and rockin marshmallow...who would've thought this phone would make it this far. Glad you were able to find a phone that you like and are now able to move on. Later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A

cssr

Jun 4, 2013
Zachary
My rocket is still blasting to the sky! On it 10-16 hours daily! Text, email, calls, pictures and games. I had to fix the power button once.

This phone is a rock!

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the original Galaxy S2? The Skyrocket got a CPU upgrade along with LTE support, and it definitely wasn't a PoS. My wife and I finally upgraded when the batteries stopped holding much of a charge, but I keep them around and they are still reasonable devices. We certainly never had a problem with not being able to answer a call, or apps taking too long to load.

I have one on Sultan's old KK ROM and the other I'm using as a test-bed for Candy6. I will admit that LP and MM have been poky on these old phones, but hell, they are 5 years old at this point. That's an awfully good run for any device.

Reactions: skyrocketman

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Are you sure you aren't thinking about the original Galaxy S2? The Skyrocket got a CPU upgrade along with LTE support, and it definitely wasn't a PoS. My wife and I finally upgraded when the batteries stopped holding much of a charge, but I keep them around and they are still reasonable devices. We certainly never had a problem with not being able to answer a call, or apps taking too long to load.

I have one on Sultan's old KK ROM and the other I'm using as a test-bed for Candy6. I will admit that LP and MM have been poky on these old phones, but hell, they are 5 years old at this point. That's an awfully good run for any device.

Nope, I'm thinking of the Skyrocket. I had one. I got it in December of 2011. It was AT&T's first LTE phone. Maybe you had better luck if you had a custom ROM but the stock Samsung software was awful. Even after a factor reset. Worst purchase of any kind I have made......EVER.

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Well that was your problem right there. TouchWhiz was particularly awful during those days. It's still not great, but it was absurdly bloated in Android 4 (ICS, JB). If you could revert to Gingerbread, it was actually a decent device with stock, but then you would be running Gingerbread...

CyanogenMod actually ran pretty well, though, and fixed most of the issues Samsung introduced.

Nov 24, 2018
Still using a Skyrocket, just as an mp3 player though. It's running CM 13.0, and its not that bad.

Considering the phone is over 10 years old, It's pretty amazing modern apps still work on it. I would love to push it with an Android 10 ROM, but sadly I've only seen Android 7 being the highest version supported by the community. I think this phone just got lost to time unlike the regular S2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    speak for yourself.

Still going strong here! All original parts and rockin marshmallow...who would've thought this phone would make it this far. Glad you were able to find a phone that you like and are now able to move on. Later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A
    I just fired mine up after being in a drawer for a few months. Still works great.
    Pretty snappy for a phone that is nearly 5 years old.