X10 & Netgear DG834v5 Wifi Connection Problems - Solution

Search This thread
Apr 13, 2010
Hello all,

I love my X10, but the frustration with getting it to connect to my Netgear DG834 router was getting to me, so I dedicated an afternoon to working out a solution and I've found one that works for me, so I hope it'll work for you too.

Summary of problem
--------------------

The phone will connect to the Router once, and once only. Any attempt to re-connect to the wifi will result in the phone disconnecting, scanning again, then discinnecting until the user gives up. Nothing will cause the phone to reconnect (telling it to forget the connection for example). The only surefire way to reconnect is to reboot the router each time - not ideal.

Manually adding a Static IP also doesn't work - which is weird as that is how I've solved it, see below.

Scale of problem
----------------
The problem seems to be with the router and not necessarily the phone as it appears to be on a wide range of phones (Hero, Droid, Touch HD etc.). Seeing at the DG834 is the most popular router in the world, and Android is growing all the time, there are a large number of people affected.

However Iphone and Symbian phones appear to be unaffected.

Reason for the problem
-----------------------
Currently unknown, but appears to be something to do with the handshaking procedure when a device asks the router for an address (DHCP) - though as to what I don't know.

Solution
--------

1) Download an app called WiFiStatic from the App Market. WiFiStatic takes each DHCP assigned IP address and stores it in a small database to be re-applied whenever you are back in range of the same Router again. It is not an ideal solution as you may have to re-scan and re-assign if you visit a busy hotspot, but this is a two press function, so it's not that onerous.

2) Turn off your Router. Make sure the WiFi on your phone is off too.

3) With the router off, clear your Remembered WiFi connections (or at the very least the Netgear connection). Once that's done, turn the Router on again and wait until it is full back up again.

4) When the Router is fully operational again, turn on your wifi on the phone and let is scan for and connect to the Netgear Router. You may need to tell it to connect from the Wireless Settings menu on the phone.

5) The phone should now connect to the Router successfully. If it doesn't, repeat the above procedure.

6) With the phone connected to the router, fire up WiFiStatic. Check Auto Switch and Show Visual Prompt if they are not already selected, then Tap Add configuration at the bottom of the screen.

7) The IP address and other settings assigned by your router should be displayed at the top of the screen, at the bottom should be the name of your router and its MAC address. If not then tap Menu > Generate to populate the form.

8)Tap Menu > Done when everything is ok.

That's it. Now when you move into range of your Netgear, you should get connected, though it does take a bit longer than normal (the Router still wants to assign an address first before accepting the static IP). You can speed this up by changing the Device table on the router to always keep the Phone's static IP open.

This shouldn't work as all my other attempts with Static IP failed, but I've had five days now of instant connection to WiFi at home, so something has been freed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoJeo

edmontdonte

Oct 19, 2009
i can not tell you how seeing this post was like finding bin ladin in the white house. Prob would have found him twice trying to solve this WIFI problem. And the strange thing is this is the 1st phone i have had that there are so few posts about it...is everyone on that icrack? scary. cheers to you...

mith500

May 13, 2010
Thank you for posting this.
I tried this with my and it seems it doesn't make a difference for me. I still can only connect once to the router and for me to connect again i have to restart the router again. Am i missing something?
Problem is when I connect for the first time at home it works then when i leave to the office i use the wifi there and never have any problems there but when i get back home it doesn't work. Do you guys switch the wifi off manually when you are not using it?

Last edited:

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
one thing that is almost always overlooked is updating the router's firmware. this usually solves a number of issues. I dont know about netgear but it's worth a try to update

underleo

Aug 22, 2010
i have some troubles in x10i wifi connection and holp someone helps me~
------------------------------
im chinese, my x10i have had the lastest firmware but the phone cant connect the AP which set the channel is "13". but i used it long before and suddy just one day i find it dosnt work~ it cant scan(and find) the AP anymore !
then i have tried and config the router in another wifi channel(just like 1,8,11..) and the phone can scan and refind the AP.
i have tried to reload the phone's default setting,but it dont work(in channel 13)ToT
---------------------------
someone tell me why? and someone give me some suggest?
in china , lots of router's wifi channel are using "13" by default(factory setting);so, if my x10i cant works in that channel means i couldnt find the "opend APs" which in the public place(like KFC~~)

THX to help~

arf9999

Sep 21, 2010
Hello all,

I love my X10, but the frustration with getting it to connect to my Netgear DG834 router was getting to me, so I dedicated an afternoon to working out a solution and I've found one that works for me, so I hope it'll work for you too.

<snip>.

Thank you! I have spent three days trying to get my phone to re-connect to a DG834v5.

Your solution has worked! I had gone as far as reserving an IP address on the router and linked it to the MAC of the phone... no dice. The phone would connect once and then never again until the router was reset. Really irritating because I have two PPPoe connections running through the router with a routing table that has to be re-loaded via telnet every time the router is reset. I was considering a new phone or a new router. :)

supervat

Nov 27, 2007
HI,

I have near the same problem.
But I found out that when I remove on the access point the hidden function ( SID ) then it works perfect.
so that is a bug in the ROM of the X10, I have the R2b026.

At the moment everone can see my Access Point but I can live with that solution.

k1sr

Oct 27, 2008
Same problem here - never had an issue with any other router, so I blame Netgear...

Let's just hope this works - it's been driving me crazy for the past 5 days...

dilse

Dec 13, 2004
Not just Netgear, maybe Android

Same problem here - never had an issue with any other router, so I blame Netgear...

Let's just hope this works - it's been driving me crazy for the past 5 days...

I am having the same issue on my HD2 Android 2.3.4, connecting to a D-Link DIR-635. If I use Static IP, everything is fine...

okin87

May 29, 2011
Thessaloniki
WORKS! I can't believe it, finally i can disconnect and connect without having to reset my router everytime. BIG thanks man!

okin87

May 29, 2011
Thessaloniki
alright, it worked fine for the first 5-6 hours. then it went back to not connecting without rebooting the router. this problem happens only with my home router, at work i can connect fine, as well as in other places.

any thoughts or solutions? i mean it did work in the beginning, then why did it stop? shall i change my router?

P.S.: i noticed that every time i connect to my home router i get the same IP address and all the stats are the same.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

Summary of problem
    --------------------

The phone will connect to the Router once, and once only. Any attempt to re-connect to the wifi will result in the phone disconnecting, scanning again, then discinnecting until the user gives up. Nothing will cause the phone to reconnect (telling it to forget the connection for example). The only surefire way to reconnect is to reboot the router each time - not ideal.

Manually adding a Static IP also doesn't work - which is weird as that is how I've solved it, see below.

Scale of problem
    ----------------
    The problem seems to be with the router and not necessarily the phone as it appears to be on a wide range of phones (Hero, Droid, Touch HD etc.). Seeing at the DG834 is the most popular router in the world, and Android is growing all the time, there are a large number of people affected.

However Iphone and Symbian phones appear to be unaffected.

Reason for the problem
    -----------------------
    Currently unknown, but appears to be something to do with the handshaking procedure when a device asks the router for an address (DHCP) - though as to what I don't know.

Solution
    --------

1) Download an app called WiFiStatic from the App Market. WiFiStatic takes each DHCP assigned IP address and stores it in a small database to be re-applied whenever you are back in range of the same Router again. It is not an ideal solution as you may have to re-scan and re-assign if you visit a busy hotspot, but this is a two press function, so it's not that onerous.

2) Turn off your Router. Make sure the WiFi on your phone is off too.

3) With the router off, clear your Remembered WiFi connections (or at the very least the Netgear connection). Once that's done, turn the Router on again and wait until it is full back up again.

4) When the Router is fully operational again, turn on your wifi on the phone and let is scan for and connect to the Netgear Router. You may need to tell it to connect from the Wireless Settings menu on the phone.

5) The phone should now connect to the Router successfully. If it doesn't, repeat the above procedure.

6) With the phone connected to the router, fire up WiFiStatic. Check Auto Switch and Show Visual Prompt if they are not already selected, then Tap Add configuration at the bottom of the screen.

7) The IP address and other settings assigned by your router should be displayed at the top of the screen, at the bottom should be the name of your router and its MAC address. If not then tap Menu > Generate to populate the form.

8)Tap Menu > Done when everything is ok.

That's it. Now when you move into range of your Netgear, you should get connected, though it does take a bit longer than normal (the Router still wants to assign an address first before accepting the static IP). You can speed this up by changing the Device table on the router to always keep the Phone's static IP open.

This shouldn't work as all my other attempts with Static IP failed, but I've had five days now of instant connection to WiFi at home, so something has been freed up.