FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Sleep Wake Function using magnet on case???

494 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By ugotproblemz, Senior Member on 10th August 2012, 06:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th September 2012, 12:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileot

Incorrect.

There IS a magnet sensor on the tablet to turn the screen off when the dock is close to the screen. The magnet is on the right side of the keyboard dock, sort of beside the touchpad and under the menu key.
Problem is that sensor only gets activated when the dock is connected. Maybe there is a way to trick the tablet to think the dock is connected and enable this sensor. Sure would be handy to have a magnetic screen off switch on sleeves.

Could I ask how do you know this? Is there a way to check the presence and state of such extra sensor. In the kernel source there should be something.

7th September 2012, 09:17 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'll be able to confirm if the dock has a magnetic sensor in a few days. I have a magnetic stylus that I just got a few days ago that should be able to trigger the sensor if it's there.

What I can say already is that there is definitely a magnetic spot in the location described, to the right of the trackpad and below the menu key. My stylus holds on very well there. I had the tablet on the entire time though, so no chance of accidentally seeing any sensor behavior. Would check now, but I'm away from home for a few days and I forgot to bring the stylus with me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app
7th September 2012, 11:14 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
To test it, it's simple. Put a magnet on the screen at the position corresponding, on the dock, to the one described by pileot and you ll see that the screen will switch off.
As pileot said, unfortunately, it only works when tablet is docked.
The Following User Says Thank You to htcvidi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift htcvidi Ad-Free
7th September 2012, 11:33 PM |#14  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I installed Awesome on off ultimate on my Transformer Infinity, but have some problems. The only way to turn screen off is to press the Screen off icon. No gestures or flings will turn it off. Tilting the Tab turns it on ok.
When I pick ut the Infinity to bring it with me in a bag, the screen turns on by accident, draining the battery
What can I do to turn the screen off with gestures, including those needed to turn off the screen more permanently so that I have to turn it on with the physical on/off button?

Thanks

I have Apex Launcher installed. For my down gesture, I have it set to launch "Lock Screen App" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...VuLmZyZWUiXQ.. Also, do you have set for the display to go to sleep? I noticed if I carry my tablet in portrait mode, the screen doesn't turn on. Maybe you can give that a try. Hope that helps.
8th September 2012, 03:13 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I'm not understanding how to turn the screen off with ultimate on. What icon do I press. I press the one in the notification bar and it takes me to the ultimate on menu. It doesn't shut the screen off.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Just sent grandmaster an email if he can make a setting for us without a proximity sensor. Use with tablets. We should be able to set the tablet down for a couple of seconds and the screen should shut off. Maybe even give us a choice on how many seconds before the screen shuts off. I would like 3 second delay the off.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
8th September 2012, 09:10 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 207

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankn

Could I ask how do you know this? Is there a way to check the presence and state of such extra sensor. In the kernel source there should be something.

Several things. First, i have taken the dock apart (to ad pennies into the front of it to make it heavier so it tips over less) and noticed the magnet. Second because if you take a paperclip or other light, metal object and place it about 1 inch to the right of the touchpad and about 1 inch below the keyboard it will stick. Third, when the tablet is DOCKED you can put a magnet at the right spot in the screen and the screen will turn off.

Problem is it only works when docked.
9th September 2012, 05:32 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
,has anyone tried to use a magnet to sleep the infinty with the transsleeve locked in instead of the dock? Wonder if it just has to have something in the slots for the magnet to work.
2nd January 2015, 09:03 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Hall Sensor on TF701T
Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch

,has anyone tried to use a magnet to sleep the infinty with the transsleeve locked in instead of the dock? Wonder if it just has to have something in the slots for the magnet to work.

Don't know if someone is interested in this, but due to this thread I was able to locate the hall sensor position of my TF701T. Obviously it is the same as of the TF700T. Without anything docked I am able to put the TF701T to wake and sleep with a little magnet.

Thanks,
motskuh
11th February 2016, 10:44 PM |#19  
Flag Anytown, USA
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but there is a solution for Eroc162 turning off the screen with a jester. It's called Screen off and lock. If you have the swipe to search button and don't use it this app will use that jester to turn off the screen. If you are like me and have flashed KatKiss KatshMallow 6.0 (Marshmallow based ROM) you can use the onscreen widget . Works great!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)