[Firmware] [LP] [5.1.1] [RetEd/DevEd] Safe Upgrade to Lollipop [N910VVRU2BPA1]

Search This thread

burntrat

Sep 17, 2010
No put it in the AP/PDA

Thanks.... I assumed BL section was for a bootloader file.
So would this be the correct steps to follow?

-Put phone in Download Mode
-Load N910VVRU1BOAF_Bootloaders.tar.md5 in AP/PDA in Odin
-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot system
-Load N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5 in AP/PDA in Odin
-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot to system

Anything I missed?

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
Dirty flash was fine for me going from DE 5.0.1 B0G5 to 5.1.1 BPA1.

However flashing SuperSU from TWRP put me into a bootloop. Is there a new method for rooting now on 5.1.1 I'm supposed to use? Oh, and I noticed development has ended for Multisystem Kernel, do I just stay on the stock kernel now?

edit: I just tried CF Auto-Root from the Note 4 general forum. It also puts me into a bootloop. I'm not really sure what to do now to get root with BPA1.

edit2: I swear I'm doing research here. I guess with 5.1.1 a lot of auto-root methods break because Samsung implemented a boot-time root checker in the kernel? Should I just try the old Multisystem Kernel 5.5 and see if it boots my phone? I don't really have any other options here unless someone is willing to extract and upload the kernel from JasmineROM for me to try.

edit3: Multisystem does not work with 5.1.1. I guess I'm stuck without the kernel from JasmineROM.

Last edited:

hayel2k11

Nov 7, 2013
I have Dev Edition and got a |tz|Fused 2 > Binary 1. Tried flashing the BOG5 version back but same thing. Does anyone know how to get the phone back to operational and not lock the bootloader?

You have to re-partition the note 4. by doing so, you can go to this link. I had the same problem and I can guarantee you that it will get your phone working again.

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-firmware-kernel-modem-recovery-t2942937

Nov 23, 2015
You have to re-partition the note 4. by doing so, you can go to this link. I had the same problem and I can guarantee you that it will get your phone working again.

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-firmware-kernel-modem-recovery-t2942937

Thank you so much! Before I saw this I was just trying random stuff. I pushed TWRP to the phone with ODIN and it magically worked. All I had to do after that is reinstall SU and I was back in business. Do you know which link I should use after my recent "bricking" ? I wasn't sure if I should still go with the BOG5 to BPA1 or the full firmware now.

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
Well guys, I was desperate for a solution. So I went here:

http://xdaforums.com/note-4/orig-development/tw-kernel-emotroid-team-t2990557

And tried Emotion Kernel except that there is no SM-N910V version for 5.1.1. So I downloaded and flashed the SM-N910P version, that's probably the closest version of Note 4 in terms of the hardware. And the phone booted! This is good! Now let's see if I can actually use the phone this way, I don't really know how different the kernels are for the various Snapdragon N4 variants.

anrichardson

Apr 3, 2010

-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot system
-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot to system

Anything I missed?

-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot system
-Flash
-Reboot into Recovery
-Wipe Data
-Reboot to system

just swap the bold, but you have the right idea.

Reactions: Hibby- and burntrat

hsbadr

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 18, 2014
I am running swrev T2 and A2, the rest are *1 versions
Thank you! Is there a way to look without being able to boot into the bootloader? I have sent the phone back to Sammy to have it fixed once. When I got it back (around 10/20/2015) I followed radionerd's instruction here to hopefully prevent sending it back again. Maybe there's something in the backup I took that will tell me? Also, I'm not quite sure how to use the backup either.

OP updated with N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5.7z for incremented bootloader.

Yay, thank you so much hsbadr! I've been waiting patiently for this!
Thanks @hsbadr the firmware is running flawlessly

You're welcome. Glad I could help!

Multisystem does not work with 5.1.1. I guess I'm stuck without the kernel from JasmineROM.

MultiSystem kernel for LP 5.1.1 is included in JasmineROM_v4.1_N910VVRU2BOK3.zip. Just backup your build.prop and restore it after flashing!

anrichardson

Apr 3, 2010
@hsbadr what is the reason for

OP updated with N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5.7z for incremented bootloader

Is so we can go to BPA1 from BOG5 stock?

stueycaster

Aug 19, 2011
Indianapolis
New 5.1.1 and 6.0+ firmwares require system(less) root (SuperSU v2.67 or newer) with a patched or permissive kernel. You may flash MultiSystem kernel for LP 5.1.1, which is included in JasmineROM_v4.1_N910VVRU2BOK3.zip (backup your build.prop and restore it after flashing!).

Update: Flash MultiSystem kernel from here!

Actually I'm using SuperSu 2.52 with SuperSu Pro. Everything seems to be working fine. Is there a reason why I would have to upgrade to the suggested version? Is the "System-less" thing required?

Actually I originally flashed version 2.46. It must have updated through the Play Store or it came with a newer rom.

Last edited:

hsbadr

May 18, 2014
Actually I'm using SuperSu 2.52 with SuperSu Pro. Everything seems to be working fine. Is there a reason why I would have to upgrade to the suggested version? Is the "System-less" thing required?

Actually I originally flashed version 2.46. It must have updated through the Play Store or it came with a newer rom.

It's only required for Enforcing SELinux on some ROMs. The new system(less) SuperSU can also be flashed to system like older versions.

Reactions: stueycaster

hsbadr

May 18, 2014
KNOX Removal [Developer Edition Only]

If you want to root and use a custom kernel (e.g., MultiSystem kernel) with this 100% Stock ODEXED ROM, you may have to remove all KNOX apps and /system/container (check this list). You may also need to edit /system/build.prop and change the following property:
Code:
ro.securestorage.support=true
to
Code:
ro.securestorage.support=false

DO NOT UNINSTALL KNOX APPS WITH TITANIUMBACKUP ! IT REMOVES SOME SYSTEM LIBRARIES AND MAY CAUSE ISSUES.

Last edited:

anrichardson

Apr 3, 2010
Please confirm:

I like to know, now that am still on BOG5 Lollipop 5.0,can i upgrade directly to 2BPA1 Lollipop 5.1 or do i need to do something else before doing so?

I should say i did try to safe upgrade to 2BPA1 ,but it didn't work for me. Odin said something like md5 hash is invalid and it end,so i want to know if am doing something wrong?,thank you in advance.

Are you on official BOG5 firmware or are you on safe upgrade BOG5 firmware?

If you are on official firmware then try the safe upgrade BPA1 incremented firmware.

anrichardson

Apr 3, 2010
if you mean official BOG5 flash by Odin,then yes i am on that one. Is it same tar file call stockrestore BPA1 that your recommending?
could you please give the link directly to it,i have try the safe stockrestore BPA1 tar md5 file and didn't work,please help me.

How did you get on BOG5? Did you ever take an OTA from verizon or did you get a replacement from verizon that already had BOG5 on it? If so then you are on official and not on a safe upgrade.

anrichardson

Apr 3, 2010
Is this the one i should use N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5.7z instead of this N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5.7z? ,i try the N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5.7z and it didn't work ,so your saying i should use this one N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5.7z?

---------- Post added at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

The BOG5 came on it ,its used phone so i think it was Ota from previous owner .But i also reflash it with Odin to BOG5 also,so it does have the official firmware.

Yes. Try the incremented one.

doubleplay648

Nov 29, 2014
Please Explain

Can you please explain how i re-partition my developer edition. I just received my phone back from samsung and updated from BOG5 to N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5
Now i can cannot downgrade back to BOG5 with a |tz|Fused 2 > Binary 1 error. I also cannot root my phone with TWRP using odin. Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1). On my phone it says secure check fail : recovery
My reactivation lock is off and USB debugging is enabled

Here is what my recovery mode says:
ODIN MODE: HIGH SPEED
PRODUCT NAME: SM-N910V
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS OFFICIAL
REACTIVATION LOCK: OFF
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T2, R1, A2, P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE

Any ideas where i go from here? I have only flashed stock_restores so there is no chance that i locked my bootloader.

I really don't want to lock my developer edition so please provide me with as detailed step-by-step instruction as possible.

-Thank you!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Safe Upgrade to the latest Lollipop 5.1.1 firmware (N910VVRU2BPA1) for VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910V), both Retail & Developer Editions.
    a12koI0l.png
    What do you mean by "Safe Upgrade"?
    The latest N910VVRU2BPA1 bootloader is incremented; i.e., if you take the OTA or flash the official firmware via Odin, you won't be able to downgrade to rootable KitKat 4.4.4.
    For Retail Edition: This is very important if you want to gain ROOT access when available & keep it over OTAs then.

For Developer Edition: If the bootloader is incremented with any coming OTA, it'll block your unlocked bootloader for good & you'll end up with a Retail Edition.

Check this thread for more details!

Safe upgrade allows you to downgrade to any previous firmware (KK or LP)...

★ Disclaimer:
    THIS SERVICE IS FREE OF CHARGE, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT !

Instructions:
    • Extract the N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5 file using 7-Zip
    • Extract Odin v3.10.7 & open it
    • Reboot to Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down)
    • Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    • Add the N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5 file to AP / PDA
    • Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    • Click the start button, sit back & wait a few minutes
    • Reboot into recovery (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up)
    • Wipe data (Factory Reset)
    • Reboot to system
    Special Instructions:

Downloads:
    N910VVZW2BPA1 Stock Restore: N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore.tar.md5.7z
    md5: 1652ccc37b2d778168ed9519ccdcb6ca

N910VVRU1BOAF Bootloaders (RetEd ONLY): N910VVRU1BOAF_Bootloaders.tar.md5.7z
    md5: deeef3cde3941572b036c0f6ea6e92b3

N910VVZW2BPA1 Stock Restore (Incremented): N910VVRU2BPA1_StockRestore_Incremented.tar.md5.7z
    md5: 9a377ecdea7e64bb4770634756184765

MultiSystem Kernel (LP 5.1.1): MultiSystem-Kernel_LP-5.1.1.zip
    md5: e7d98a2a6d4b0f0b2122bb2353a16b84
    MultiSystem Kernel for TouchWiz 5.1.1

Make backup and flash via TWRP!

MultiSystem Kernel (LP 5.1.1): MultiSystem-Kernel_LP-5.1.1.zip
    md5: e7d98a2a6d4b0f0b2122bb2353a16b84
    This is going to make a lot of people happy. I on the other hand was to impatient and am locked in lollipop land bootloader. But awesome work @hsbadr

Thanks!

Thank you very very much.

I'm not exactly certain how this all works so please bear with me. Does it matter which version of firmware is installed before I do the update?

My Verizon Note 4 is currently on the safe upgrade to BOG5. So, can I simply flash this new firmware to directly upgrade to BPA1, or do I need to downgrade my firmware to some other version first?

Thanks again.

Just follow the instructions from any previous Safe Upgrade or KK!

Fantastic work, and I thank you very much. With that said:

I'm really curious how a safe upgrade works. I was under the impression that any tampering of the official file (without root/an unlocked bootloader) would cause it to fail/trip the unofficial firmware message, which is why you can't simply put root into the file and flash it. How did you find a way around this?

Safe Upgrade includes official IMGs signed by Samsung, but it's diffrent from their official Full Firmware that increments the bootloader and prevents downgradeability to previous differently-incremented versions. Rooted IMGs fail in signature verification.
    I'm on the retail Note 4, still on 4.4.4 ANI1. Do I put the N910VVRU1BOAF_Bootloaders.tar.md5 file in BL section in Odin?

No put it in the AP/PDA

-Flash
    -Reboot into Recovery
    -Wipe Data
    -Reboot system
    -Flash
    -Reboot into Recovery
    -Wipe Data
    -Reboot to system

Anything I missed?

-Flash
    -Reboot into Recovery
    -Wipe Data
    -Reboot system
    -Flash
    -Reboot into Recovery
    -Wipe Data
    -Reboot to system

just swap the bold, but you have the right idea.