Thanks Meter: 252

By wskelly, Senior Member on 1st December 2012, 05:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th February 2016, 10:09 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchafner

I can see my library but cannot download books. The download is constantly interrupted. I'm using version 3.0.3.25 Any suggestions?

Your nook is probably so old that it doesn't have new enough ssl certificates for the secure connection. You can try following these instructions, but its a little bit ugly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=10
The Following User Says Thank You to tshoulihane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tshoulihane Ad-Free

17th April 2016, 04:44 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you for linking these instructions! I have the same problem and can neither download books on my kindle app anymore, nor install the updated version (making my NST kinda useless, which is a shame).

Is there by any chance a simpler way to update my NST or a more elaborate set of instructions? I couldn't find anything else and am not quite tech-savvy enough to quite understand how to update those certificates.

If there is any advice how I can update app or certificates I would be very, very grateful!
17th April 2016, 06:21 PM |#33  
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by typingwriter

Thank you for linking these instructions! I have the same problem and can neither download books on my kindle app anymore, nor install the updated version (making my NST kinda useless, which is a shame).

Is there by any chance a simpler way to update my NST or a more elaborate set of instructions? I couldn't find anything else and am not quite tech-savvy enough to quite understand how to update those certificates.

If there is any advice how I can update app or certificates I would be very, very grateful!

If you have a file manager (ES FileManager, Root Browser, etc.) installed with root privileges, it's easy:

1. Download the "more complete" cacerts file from the linked posting and copy it to your NST in some convenient folder (Downloads?).

2. Navigate to the system folder. You'll need to change the privileges on this folder to allow you to copy a file into a subfolder. With either of the two file managers I mentioned, a long-press on the system folder will bring up a either a menu with a list that includes "properties" or a list that includes "permissions". For the former, you need to look for the permissions section of the properties. Once you're at "permissions", enable write access for the two remaining "users".

3. Navigate to the system/etc/security folder and there you will see your current cacerts.bks file. Rename it cacerts.bak.

4. Go to the folder (Downloads?) where you copied the new cacerts file and copy/paste or cut/paste the file into system/etc/security. The permissions on the file are not correct at this point. You need to make them the same as the old file (now called cacerts.bak). That's why I had you leave it there. So see what the old permissions are and set the new file to the same.

5. Back out to the system folder and reset its permissions (remove write access for the lower two "users"). Failing to do this may cause a bootloop.

6. Shut down the NST and restart it.

Voila!
The Following User Says Thank You to nmyshkin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nmyshkin Ad-Free
17th April 2016, 09:59 PM |#34  

More
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write foolproof instructions!

They were, indeed, easy enough to follow and worked perfectly - thank you! I couldn't be happier that I can use the kindle app again!

One last question: I tried installing version 4.4.0.7.1. of the kindle app and got the "could not parse package"-error-message. The old version (3.2.0.3.5.) worked out fine, though. Is there any other kind of update I need to run in order to install the newest version of kindle for NST? I had uninstalled the old version before I tried, but maybe that wasn't enought.

Either way - I got my books back! Thanks again for helping me!
18th April 2016, 12:11 AM |#35  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by typingwriter

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write foolproof instructions!

They were, indeed, easy enough to follow and worked perfectly - thank you! I couldn't be happier that I can use the kindle app again!

One last question: I tried installing version 4.4.0.7.1. of the kindle app and got the "could not parse package"-error-message. The old version (3.2.0.3.5.) worked out fine, though. Is there any other kind of update I need to run in order to install the newest version of kindle for NST? I had uninstalled the old version before I tried, but maybe that wasn't enought.

Either way - I got my books back! Thanks again for helping me!

I'm glad that helped

To my knowledge, 3.2.0.3.5 is the end of the line for Kindle on the NST. Parsing errors generally mean the app is for a higher Android version. Be glad there is still a version that works--for now--unlike Google Books.

Edit: I stand corrected! XDA member @cjpicci has surfaced with a fully syncing version of Google Books (1.2.2). You can get it from his post here. And don't forget to him for finding this long-sought version.
18th April 2016, 06:13 AM |#36  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

I'm glad that helped

To my knowledge, 3.2.0.3.5 is the end of the line for Kindle on the NST. Parsing errors generally mean the app is for a higher Android version. Be glad there is still a version that works--for now--unlike Google Books.

I sure am! Thanks again for your help - it's a huge relief to have access to my kindle library again!
19th April 2016, 01:56 PM |#37  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 252

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm glad that helped

Unless we know of a newer version that is still compatible with NST, I think we are stuck on the one that is posted here. If someone knows of a newer version that is still compatible, and there is some benefit to moving to that newer version, I can try to mod that one as well.

I agree with @nmyshkin, I'm thankful that Amazon hasn't somehow 'deprecated' their reader, knowing that there are these 'old' (seriously is 5 years or so considered old? Don't get me started! ) readers out there. I'm still using my NST on trips and stuff and it is still working pretty well.
14th October 2016, 06:57 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

If you have a file manager (ES FileManager, Root Browser, etc.) installed with root privileges, it's easy:

1. Download the "more complete" cacerts file from the linked posting and copy it to your NST in some convenient folder (Downloads?).

2. Navigate to the system folder. You'll need to change the privileges on this folder to allow you to copy a file into a subfolder. With either of the two file managers I mentioned, a long-press on the system folder will bring up a either a menu with a list that includes "properties" or a list that includes "permissions". For the former, you need to look for the permissions section of the properties. Once you're at "permissions", enable write access for the two remaining "users".

3. Navigate to the system/etc/security folder and there you will see your current cacerts.bks file. Rename it cacerts.bak.

4. Go to the folder (Downloads?) where you copied the new cacerts file and copy/paste or cut/paste the file into system/etc/security. The permissions on the file are not correct at this point. You need to make them the same as the old file (now called cacerts.bak). That's why I had you leave it there. So see what the old permissions are and set the new file to the same.

5. Back out to the system folder and reset its permissions (remove write access for the lower two "users"). Failing to do this may cause a bootloop.

6. Shut down the NST and restart it.

Voila!

Tried that - I had to mount system in ES Root explorer to get the rights, but apart from that followed instructions and still not talking to the Amazon servers Is it time to call it a day with this aging device?
15th October 2016, 12:39 AM |#39  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserim

Tried that - I had to mount system in ES Root explorer to get the rights, but apart from that followed instructions and still not talking to the Amazon servers Is it time to call it a day with this aging device?

I just tried the Kindle app, accessing the store (I don't have any books in my account, just local content). I had no trouble.

Humor me and check the permissions of /system and the subsidiary folders. It should be rwx r-x r-x

Check also the new cacerts file itself. It should be rw- r-- r--

The age of the device is somewhat irrelevant if you have the correct app versions and all the configurations set up correctly. There's still a lot of useful life in the NST.
15th October 2016, 09:06 AM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Those were a bit different but make any difference.
Also, the Amazon.co.uk web site reports bad certificates.
I used the cacerts file that was from the posters Google download. Maybe I'll try the other two.
I take it you've tested this with the OP's version of kindle app?
15th October 2016, 03:21 PM |#41  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserim

Those were a bit different but make any difference.
Also, the Amazon.co.uk web site reports bad certificates.
I used the cacerts file that was from the posters Google download. Maybe I'll try the other two.
I take it you've tested this with the OP's version of kindle app?

Yes, I am using the OP app version and the "more complete" version of the cacerts file update. I'm not in the UK, but I think the user who did the cacerts file is, so there should not be an issue unless Amazon UK changed something recently.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)