[Guide] Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 P5200/P5210 without pre-rooted firmware

Search This thread

Stefano Cappelletti

Aug 30, 2015
hello,
sorry for the late replay, have you flashed the recovery successfully? what does Odin give you when you attemp to flash the recovery?

Finally I got it! I think that it was an Odin problem, I tried 20 times or more and than I also soft bricked the device... I restarted the pc and it worked at the first run... Now it works really well... Thanks! :good:

Draedus

Feb 2, 2016
Hi There
first off thanks for the support you give.
I have been trying to root and flash my GTP5200 using Odin and both TWRP and CWM.
Odin says it completes the task every time (with both TWRP and CWM). But whenever I reboot my p5200 in recovery mode it returns to the stock android "downloading" screen.
I have tried using different versions of Odin, The most up to date (and according to the sources) relevant TWRP and CWM MD5's but the issue persists.
Any advice?

hello,
sorry for the late replay, have you flashed the recovery successfully? what does Odin give you when you attemp to flash the recovery?

LYandroid

Sep 16, 2013
Benghazi
Hi There
first off thanks for the support you give.
I have been trying to root and flash my GTP5200 using Odin and both TWRP and CWM.
Odin says it completes the task every time (with both TWRP and CWM). But whenever I reboot my p5200 in recovery mode it returns to the stock android "downloading" screen.
I have tried using different versions of Odin, The most up to date (and according to the sources) relevant TWRP and CWM MD5's but the issue persists.
Any advice?
from your post it seems you are trying to get to recovery but to me it shows that you are entering download mode again,make sure you are entering recovery mode by pressing volume up (the button near SIM slot) and power button until you get to recovery mode.

Reactions: Draedus

Draedus

Feb 2, 2016
from your post it seems you are trying to get to recovery but to me it shows that you are entering download mode again,make sure you are entering recovery mode by pressing volume up (the button near SIM slot) and power button until you get to recovery mode.

Hi and thanks for the response. I was trying to get into recovery mode by pressing the (not download :p) vol up. That would inevitably send me into a boot loop. As if CWM or TWRP were not there. I must now add that I did get a version of TWRP to work and am now having issues with flashing and have encountered the bootloop issue in a whole new way... Can't seem to get a "good" version of a stock ROM or the pimpdroid version I was originally attempting to load. Always seem to return to CWM and can't go any further with any success. So I'm off to try and start the whole thing from scratch via KIES (/spit)
Thanks, again, for the response. If I hit panic again I'll be back for help. You guys are rockstars

Added: Done and Dusted! Rooted, twerped and flashed to pimpdroid. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

Thieuke

May 16, 2013
Rotterdam area
Thanks for this. Up till today it still worked like a charm.
I'm succesfully rooted with ease.

One point of critisism:
Root failed after reboot after installing Recovery. When I flashed recovery I didn't reboot at all, only then stock recovery wasn't installed back.

LYandroid

Sep 16, 2013
Benghazi
Thanks for this. Up till today it still worked like a charm.
I'm succesfully rooted with ease.

One point of critisism:
Root failed after reboot after installing Recovery. When I flashed recovery I didn't reboot at all, only then stock recovery wasn't installed back.
Glad you made your device rooted :good:.
as for your point the recovery doesn't root your device by default, you have to flash it yourself, that's why i included the root file in this topic :) .
and yes when you have flashed the recovery it won't reboot the device automatically because of the "uncheck auto reboot" step,so it won't get replaced by stock recovery.
and lastly you can only have one recovery per time hope it helps :) .

Thieuke

May 16, 2013
Rotterdam area
I don't think you've understood what I meant.

The first post it said to restart the phone after flashing recovery, and after that reboot into recovery. That didn't work.

What worked was: flash recovery. Reboot into recovery, flash rom.

tLustej.miCin

Dec 30, 2013
Thank you for the knowledge you provide here :) Much appretiated! I am glad I can find really useful information around here.

I finally managed to successfully root my p5210 and I can finally understand the whole process. However, I seem to be failing when trying to install another rom - for example pimpdroid beta - cwm does not work with it and twrp says it was a successfull install but it keeps returning to twrp. When I hit reboot, it goes back to twrp.

LYandroid

Sep 16, 2013
Benghazi
I don't think you've understood what I meant.

The first post it said to restart the phone after flashing recovery, and after that reboot into recovery. That didn't work.

What worked was: flash recovery. Reboot into recovery, flash rom.

"What worked was: flash recovery. Reboot into recovery, flash rom"
i think you meant after a second try it worked,but i totally understand what are you saying, afterall you had already managed to root your device :)
Thank you for the knowledge you provide here :) Much appretiated! I am glad I can find really useful information around here.

I finally managed to successfully root my p5210 and I can finally understand the whole process. However, I seem to be failing when trying to install another rom - for example pimpdroid beta - cwm does not work with it and twrp says it was a successfull install but it keeps returning to twrp. When I hit reboot, it goes back to twrp.

your welcome :) ,Pimpdroid developer said that the version 4 BETA of this ROM is broken for unknown reason,that could be the cause of this problem,for now try the version 3 instead,it may work.
It says could not verify whole-file signature

Did you make sure that you have custom recovery in your device? because the "Can't verify signature" message only appears on stock recovery AFAIK.

Hello today i try to unbrick my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 WiFi with the Software from the Forum here and from Sam Mobiles. Everytime i put the tar.md5 file in the pda folder in odin and click start (my tab is in download mode) odin fails or odin stucks loading or even cant get the connection. I think now i completely ruined my Tab or can someone of u help me??

Best regards

Nick

LYandroid

Sep 16, 2013
Benghazi
Hello today i try to unbrick my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 WiFi with the Software from the Forum here and from Sam Mobiles. Everytime i put the tar.md5 file in the pda folder in odin and click start (my tab is in download mode) odin fails or odin stucks loading or even cant get the connection. I think now i completely ruined my Tab or can someone of u help me??

Best regards

Nick

Hello Nick,
If you can still access download mode try to flash this rom to your tab (assuming your tab model is P5210 Wifi):
http://www.mediafire.com/?9nclo0989y434yv (extract the file before flashing through odin)
incase if it doesn't work post some screenshots of odin (before and after flashing) and i will try my best to help.

tpyke

Apr 10, 2016
Awesome!! Thanks alot for the hard work!! Works great. Will there be a ROM coming for newer firmwares than KitKat?

LYandroid

Sep 16, 2013
Benghazi
Awesome!! Thanks alot for the hard work!! Works great. Will there be a ROM coming for newer firmwares than KitKat?

i appreciate that :) , sadly there won't be any official ROM for Samsung Tab 3 10.1 newer than kitkat since Samsung seems to have stopped support for this device, but you can still use custom ROM's incase if you haven't tried it :)

tpyke

Apr 10, 2016
Haha, as a matter if fact, i just found a thread for a custom Android 5.x ROM!
I'm really starting to like this forum!!

Khanya

Jul 12, 2016
thank you , youve just helped me unbrick my tablet by flashing a different rom thatn the one i had in the beginning ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,
    my english is not too good so exuse me.
    This guide is for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 P5200/P5210 only.
    i take not responsibility for bricking your device so please be carefull.
    *NEW* video tutorial of this guide (made by @hamsturcio)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TSr-5P20Y
    i have rooted my galaxy tab 3 10.1 P5200 without pre-rooted firmware and i want to show you all how i did:
    1-Download TWRP Recovery (make sure to use the version that matches your tab model):
    Link for the P5200 model: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23991606952613332
    Link for the P5210 model: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23991606952613346
    *or you can use CWM recovery incase if TWRP recovery doesn't work:
    Link for CWM recovery non-touch (works on both P5200 and P5210):
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23125694133305802
    2-Download Odin 3.07:
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877490002273
    3-Download the ROOT file (SuperSU)*:
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU
    *Incase if the SuperSU root method doesn't work,try this one instead (Superuser):
    http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/96195148/file.html
    4-Reboot into download mode(hold volume down+power) you will see a warning message,press volume up to continune,and your tab is now on download mode.
    5-Open Odin,Connect the Tab to the computer and click on PDA,then select the TWRP recovery,
    -make sure to uncheck 'auto-reboot' before flashing,because the tab might reinstall the stock recovery (thank you @Benzoman for telling me that).
    6-When done,reboot the tab,and copy the ROOT file directly to the internal storage of the tab (or even external sdcard) and reboot into recovery (hold volume up+power).
    7-Select install zip from sdcard,locate the root file where you have copied it (Internal storage or sdcard) and select it.
    8-Flash the root file.
    9-Reboot the tab,you will see a new app called SuperSU or Superuser,and surprise your tab is rooted :)

Credits goes to the developers who made the rooting method possibe on this device,i didn't make them so im only here to share information.

Have a nice day!!:)
    Great guide. First one using twrp for the 10.1
    Works great. Only suggestion is to uncheck auto reboot in odin because some people have issues with the tab reinstalling stock recovery with auto reboot.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using XDA Premium HD app
    Great guide. First one using twrp for the 10.1
    Works great. Only suggestion is to uncheck auto reboot in odin because some people have issues with the tab reinstalling stock recovery with auto reboot.

thank you for the suggestion,i will update the thread.
    Glad I could help.

Yes it nice to have root. TWRP is a little laggy though. It take a few swipes to get it repond sometimes. CMW is another alt but it takes up a whole lot of room for a backup. Almsot 9 gigs! TWRP is closer to 2.5 gigs for a full back up.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using xda app-developers app

I know its little laggy but at least its more stable than CWM ;)