[APP][2.2+]SambaDroid 2.1.0

Search This thread

Kjaups

Apr 26, 2009
Can't write bigger files than 4GB. As soon it hits 4GB, it stops tranferring and asks what to do next.

RADiuMOz

Apr 11, 2011
Sydney
I was about to ask about >4GB file support as well - when I view a file which is >4GB (through Windows, connected to my Android device - media player) it incorrectly shows a 4+GB file as only about 380MB. I haven't yet purchased SambaDroid as I wanted to test it works fully, first.

Sorry - I've just seen that some people have reported (in the app reviews) that the file sizes are incorrectly reported (I'm using Windows 10) - not sure whether this is due to no >4GB file support, or something else?

Last edited:

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for making this great app!

When using this app on a Phone in WiFi HotSpot mode, I noticed it doesn't show IP Address of the WiFi Hotspot, instead it shows the cellular network's IP Address which is rather useless when accessing directly on devices connected to the Hotspot.

Can this behavior be changed to show both IP Addresses?

I noticed Samba Filesharing app does this properly.

Thanks for making this great app I plan to buy this once this is improved.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Another problem found, I repeatedly tried copying a 1.3GB file from Windows but it simply hangs while on the Android side, an unreadable file of the correct name and size is generated.

I'm going to request a refund, i like the interface since it has the user and share options, but it's just not stable enough.

Samba Fileshare has no multi-user or share options (you have to edit a file) but it does work.

Last edited:

bradwatson

Apr 4, 2011
Has anyone had success using this on a Nexus Player? Using an air mouse I can't press any of the buttons like the menu button to configure it. I click it, but it just makes a noise and does nothing. Works great on my Amazon Fire TV.

Bonoboo

Dec 30, 2012
Ukraine
Redmi Note 10 Pro
@berserker_devel
Regarding Marshmallow, where sharing won't start.
I and few other users in thread faced this problem.

I discovered, that at least on CyanogenMod 13 problem in "enforcing" SELinux.
If switch it off ("permissive") all works fine.

Here what in audit log:
type=1400 audit(1455258470.343:25): avc: denied { open } for pid=4138 comm="Thread-277" name="smbd.pid" dev="mmcblk0p27" ino=103560 scontext=u:r:untrusted_app:s0:c512,c768 tcontext=u:eek:bject_r:app_data_file:s0 tclass=file permissive=0
For info: here our sepolicy

Bonoboo

Dec 30, 2012
Ukraine
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Thanks for reporting
Thank you for attention.

Forgot to say.
With SuperSU installed and when in it's settings enabled "Mount namespace separation" (by default) sharing starts with big delay.
But at least starts.
Logcat attached.

When option off it starts immediately.
Here more info.

Attachments

• Log_Marshmallow_long_start.txt
    50.9 KB · Views: 17

SomeGuy4

Jan 26, 2014
@berserker_devel

Here what in audit log:

Confirmed that this works with Nexus 6P stock Android 6.0.1 build MMB29M
I used SELinuxModeChanger from here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonoboo

usafle

Nov 8, 2010
Newburgh
Lenovo P11
Confirmed that this works with Nexus 6P stock build MMB29M
I used SELinuxModeChanger from here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524485

@berserker_devel

Here what in audit log:

Well that answers my question as to why I can't get this to start working on my Nexus 6. Hopefully the DEV finds a way around the SEL enforcing / permissive thing. I'm not going to go implement switching. All the other apps that used to require permissive have now been fixed to work with enforcing SEL, FYI

Reactions: Bonoboo

hikku13

Nov 20, 2009
I'm trying to connect SambaDroid through Total Commander/Double Commander, but it fails to connect if the shared folders need authenticated users. Whenever it asks the credential, even the username and password is correct, it just fails soon after. But through Windows Explorer, it works fine. It seems the protocol used in SambaDroid somehow is not compatible with non-Explorer program (whether its newer or something). I also try to connect to shared folders (shared from Ubuntu) in my Windows machine (using virtualbox/vmware) it works fine using Total Commander/Double Commander.

gpharos

Mar 6, 2016
Verified it does not work on the Rooted Nvidia Shield TV after the most recent Marshmallow 6.0 update from 5.1.

matthelm

Jan 29, 2012
Anyone having an issue with backup/sync type programs not seeing some of the files on large (400+ files), flat directories? I just started using this this weekend, and on multiple devices and multiple OS's and multiple backup programs, the next time I sync, it shows a few files missing. These files are there, and it shows the same files missing on all devices. On directories with lots of files, but broken into many sub-directories, it sees them all just fine.

matthelm

Jan 29, 2012
Anyone having an issue with backup/sync type programs not seeing some of the files on large (400+ files), flat directories? I just started using this this weekend, and on multiple devices and multiple OS's and multiple backup programs, the next time I sync, it shows a few files missing. These files are there, and it shows the same files missing on all devices. On directories with lots of files, but broken into many sub-directories, it sees them all just fine.

OK, played with it a bit longer tonight, and it only seems to be reading directory listing that is causing issues. As I said above, I have 3 different devices, 3 different OS versions. Note, I am using Windows 10, and I have no older Windows machines, so there is a slim chance it's Windows reading the directory/related. BTW, I have a CRC program, and have those directories in the file, and it's saying all files are there, and match the original. I can even run the check over the net, and it says all the files are there and fine, even the ones not showing in the directory! I also zip the directory on the phone, copied the zip over to the PC, and all files are there.

Any suggestions on checking this further to confirm app bug or Windows issue??? (I'm currently at 95% sure it's the app, but also know Windows 10 (post 1511), has some HUGE network issues.)

fimadev

Mar 16, 2016
MacOS connectivity issue

I installed this server on my rooted GoogleTV box and I am able to share my drive and it's visible and writable from my MacOS computer on the same network. When I try to copy large files, after a minute or two, the file transfer interrupts with a "-50" error. Both computers are on LAN network.

Any idea what could be causing this instability?

Thanks!

gpharos

Mar 6, 2016
Install SELinuxModeChanger and set permissions to passive and it will work.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thank you, sideload the app and installed with permissions set and I now have full access to my shield TV console back. It's a wonderful thing to copy and edit files/programs from a pc over the network.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    25uktoo.jpg

SambaDroid is a native port for Android of the popular Samba for Linux.
    This application allows you to share/manage files on your device easily from any PC of your network.

Once started, just type \\SAMBADROID in your computer, use 'android' as user and enjoy.

Please note that this application requires root

2.1.0 changelog:
    • Optimized layout for tablets
    • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
    • Google Play Services updated
    • Minor UI changes
    2.0.0 changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)
    1.0.6 changelog:
    • new translations: Chinese, German, Hungarian, Italian, Russian and Spanish
    • new share option "read only" (pro)
    • added WiFi whitelist (pro)
    • fixed the "read only" bug with multiple shares
    • fixed su popup issue
    FAQs:
    • q: Where can I find the modified Samba source code?
      a: Here it is.
    • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
      a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
    • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
      a: Use the following broadcast intents:
      • START: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START
      • STOP: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP
      • If you are a Tasker user, please follow these steps (thanks to bcrook)
        1. Create a new Task (eg. Start SambaDroid) in Tasker
        2. Add a new action > Misc > Send Intent
        3. Set the action to berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START , Cat = None, the rest you can leave as defaults
        4. Save the action and task
        5. Repeat for berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP intent
        6. Create a profile to trigger the tasks (or launch w/ NFC or whatever you want)
        You can test the Task by clicking on the Task and clicking the Play icon in the lower right of the popup.

Download from Google Play

Support this project

If you want to translate SambaDroid into a new language:
    • download the attached file translate.zip
    • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">Invalid password</string>
      Translated line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">My translation of Invalid password</string>
      Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
      <string name="do not translate this">
      But only:
      <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
    • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:
    Like the good old samba filesharing:)
    I'm on 10-20121106 -NIGHTLY-i9100

speeds creeped from few hunders KB/sec to almost 2MB/sec, tried with 700MB file.
    Missing the second sd card though

If anyone is interested, just to make life easier (ie lazier) added sdcard network location to right click - send to , sending files with 2 clicks to your phone
    Just add the sdcard network location shortcut (or whatever folder shortcut on your sdcard) to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    shortcut address should be something like \\SAMBADROID\sdcard\whateverfolder
    New beta available!

Changelog 1.0.2:
    • share path is now configurable
    • guests users are now configurable
    • new command to report log files
    • new options "require wifi" (useful if you need to configure the services on other interfaces than wlan)
    • new option "bind interfaces"
    • new option "autostart service"
    • fixed missing codepages in the package dir
    • fixed a possibile bug when the application is restored (thanks to TheMorpheus and Osprey00)
    • reduced package size
    • lots of other stuffs I don't remember

In the first post I attached the code used by SambaDroid to detected the WiFi listening interface (that actually doesn't work on the Galaxy Note 2).
    I need someone that help me in debugging the code :)
    unclesamweneedyou.png

P.S.: please note that the default username has changed in this version to 'android'

You figured out a solution on your own by re-installing it, but if I pointed you in the right direction, you're welcome. Another solution, if Berserker's hunch is right, would've been to change the owner of the "nmbd" folder to "root" via Solid Explorer (on the same page as the "Change" button that I mentioned earlier) or other file manager. Anyways, the problem was even simpler than realized. I take it that you had Android 4.1 (CM10) with SambaDroid installed, backed everything up with Titanium Backup, flashed Android 4.2 (CM10.1), then restored your backup. Like you said, it could be an issue with Titanium Backup not restoring ownership rights or permissions correctly for SambaDroid's folders and files. If so, it doesn't sound like a huge, huge problem, but, maybe, as a workaround for users' sakes, SambaDroid could check for and fix incorrect permissions (or, at least, somehow detect a problem and recommend a re-installation).
    I already implemented a fix for this situation in the 1.0.2 beta :)
    It works if selinux is set to permissive. Tested on CM13 klteduos
    Version 2.0.0 just published on Google Play!

Changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)