[ROM] [Samsung i320n] [WWE] WM6.1

Search This thread

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
I can take no credit for the work, only for the instructions on how to install and set to English language and the guts to try installing relying only on translation sites from the original Chinese. The credit for the work goes to the people at zn520 (www (dot) zn520 (dot) com).

NOTE: This ROM is intended for Chinese users but includes English. When you complete the update, you will need to make changes (which I documented) to configure it for English. No other languages are part of the build.

**** I take no responsibility if you brick your device *****

What is in the ROM?
Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard
CE OS 5.2.20758 (Build 20758.1.4.1) Build 2010.01.18,py8
Available Memory: 23.67MB

This is a very clean ROM with only a few of the original Samsung applications configured.

What works?
As far as I have found, everything works, here is what I have tested and found working.
Camera - Works well
Data Connectivity - Works well
Phone - Works well, very clear in calls
SMS - Works well
MMS - Appears to be installed but *** I have not tested ***

Summary
This ROM breathes new life into the device and makes it very useable. I have found no problems (other than the occaisional Chinese text). It has been very stable. Many of us have probably moved on to new device, but if you have an i320n sitting around, I would recommend you consider the upgrade. I am sure others will post their experience.

Accessing the ROM:
I don't have an account with any file sharing service and I now live in Zambia with slow Internet access. If someone is willing to upload it, please do and share the link with me for inclusion here.

http://turboshare.com/files/106951/ZN520__i320_WM6.1.zip.html
MD5: 9289b5f8ea0aa410ce40a0508783f8a8

**** Installation instructions included in next post.

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Flashing Instructions

This has only been tested on Windows XP, it may work on others, but I have not tested.

1. Unzip file ZN520_[i320]WM6.1.zip

2. Run Setup.exe from ‘Driver’ folder to install drivers needed to recognize the device in bootloader mode. (You may be prompted that the drivers are not digitally signed, accept them.) Upon setup completion, you should get a message "SAMSUNG MIT Handset Software was installed successfully"

3. Restart the computer

4. Execute ClickFlash V0.3.exe (It will read the click_all.lst file for the location and name of the image)

5. With the phone off, connect the phone to the computer via USB cable

6. Hold down the 'Back' button (under the right soft key) and power on the phone with the 'Back' button still held in.

7. Phone should show "MITS - Mobile Internet Terminal" and go no further. If it boots fully, turn it off and repeat.

8. Check the status of ClickFlash, it should show "Device Connected!" and the Blackjack.BIN file should be selected (or click_all.lst which points it to the BIN file).

At this point the device is ready to be flashed...

9. Click on the icon that shows the red arrow pointing toward the device to begin flash.

You will see the progress bar as the file is downloaded to the device. Don't disconnect the device until you see the message "Download Successfully! Bye!" (It may take a while (8 to 10 minutes) with no indication anything is happening… be patient.

10. At this point the device will restart and will format itself then boot. Booting may take a while. Upon completion of boot, don't touch the device as it will automatically install additional software and restart itself.

11. It should now boot to a blue home screen. Congratulations, you have successfully flashed the device.

For instructions for changing it to English, see next post.

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Configuring for English

At this point, you have a fully functioning device but in Chinese. If you want to fumble through trying to change it to English, have fun. If you want step by step instructions with screen shots to guide you, download the attachment.

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
FAQ

FAQ

Why do I still see some evidence of Chinese?
Not all applications installed in the ROM were Chinese/English capable (CeleTask for example). I wrote a short MortScript to automatically remove these applications or change links to English functions. Download 'Remove traces of Chinese.zip' (below) and follow instructions contained within.

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Reserved for known issues (hoping someone can solve)

Text Input Method - The text input is set to Chinese with an option to use English, so it is workable. However the input UI is in Chinese and it isn't obvious to the use what options to choose. Is it possible to replace the default text input without having access to the actual ROM? If so, can someone point me to a resource?

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Success? Any issues?

I have noticed that several people have downloaded and wanted to get feedback on the process and documentation.

Were there any issues in flashing the device?

Any errors or omissions in the documentation?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jonathan

vannepetri

Jun 16, 2010
downloaded over 10 times. Error... I would like to test this on my phone. Would it be any chance to get zip to somewhere a download.

Vannepetri

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Upload

As I mentioned in the original post, I now live in Zambia which was recently ranked as the worst Internet access in the world. I can upload again, but I would really appreciate some guidance as to where I can upload it that it won't limit the number of downloads.

Thanks,
Jonathan

vannepetri

Jun 16, 2010
Would some nonsense account to gmail and google docs share be a solution? Torrent might also be possible? Someone who has already downloaded a file could share it.
The best free service for what I found ... But I have not used ever.
fileupper dot com

Vannepetri

Last edited:

jmo

Oct 28, 2005
Uploaded to another service

FYI - I uploaded the file last night to a new service that doesn't appear to have any limits (other than erasing the file 90 days after the last access). I have updated the first post with the location. Please download and provide some feedback. Obviously 10 people have downloaded but no one has posted on their experience with it.

Jonathan

kgerva

Sep 8, 2009
Very good job! Your instruction are OK.

My i320 is now with wm 6.1.

About the problem of IME and T9, I made a change in this registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]
"Ime File"="\windows\et9ime.dll"

Because in original it was

"Ime File"="\Program Files\PlumSIP61\phoneime.dll"

and now when I press * the menu is in English!!!!:eek:

Bye

PS In the week-end I try to introduce the italian T9 dictionary.

gregdu13250

Sep 8, 2007
Thanks =)

My i320n run correctly, just a hardware problem with the safe battery, it's down, the i320 don't keep the hour

Hakim Rahman

Oct 28, 2010
in here
What the button back left or right. Please turn bootloader mode ?
see the guide which has been given as below
Originally Posted by jmo

- Hold down the 'Back' button (under the right soft key) and power on the phone with the 'Back' button still held in
- Phone should show "MITS - Mobile Internet Terminal" and go no further. If it boots fully, turn it off and repeat.