Swype for the EVO? Now with an IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

TheBiles

Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
www.flickr.com
Does anyone have a working .apk for Swype? I've heard that the Incredible version does not work, and I'd like to have a compatible version ready when I get my EVO this week.

IDIOT-PROOF GUIDE:

1. Go to settings, and select Applications.
1.png

2. Check the box to "allow installation of non-Market applications."
2.png

3. NOTE: Some of these may be expired. Make sure you check the thread for newer downloads! Download the latest beta version here. If that doesn't work, you can download this older version using the web browser of your choice (NOTE: Dolphin Browser HD seems to have some problems downloading .apks, so try the stock browser before posting about an error), or download it to your PC and transfer it to your SD card. Or can download any of the Nexus One/Droid Incredible custom versions found here.

4. Navigate to the previously downloaded file using a file explorer like EStrong File Explorer or ASTRO click it.
3.png

5. Click "Install" to install.
4.png

6. Go back to the settings menu and click "Language & Keyboard."
5.png

7. Check the box next to Swype. Accept the prompt that pops up.
6.png

8. Open up any text field (text message, quick search, address bar, etc), and long press on the field.
7.png

9. Select "Input Method" from the pop-up.
8.png

10. Select "Swype" from the choices.
9.png

11. Start Swyping! Here is a video of the basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSSOl4f9RA

QUICK SWYPE FAQ
:
Q: How do I add a word to the dictionary?
A: Tap the word out like a normal keyboard, then either a) just hit space, or b) press the Swype key.

Q: How do I remove a word from the dictionary?
A: Select and highlight ONLY the word that you wish to remove and press the Swype key. Follow the prompt to remove the word.

Q: How do I easily move the cursor location like the arrows on the HTC keyboard?
A: Drag your finger from the Swype key to the SYM key right next to it to get the interface with arrows to pop up.

Last edited:

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
got this one to use with a incredible but never try. when i get the evo i would try

Attachments

• com.swype.android.inputmethod.apk
    2.2 MB · Views: 15,640

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Just tested the linked version of swype. Working great on this evo.

so your saying that the linked version that was posted a few posts up works perfectly on your HTC EVO?? no probs what so ever?? you just installed it and it worked as in it didn't ask you if you'd agree it to record your key strokes like i've heard?? Just curious b/c I love the swype keyboard and want to use it!! :D

entropism

Jul 21, 2007
Linden, NJ
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I only tried a few sentences with it, but it worked fine. A coworker played with it for a little longer, and while he had a hard time using it, it was his first time trying Swype. Filing it under user error rather than program error.

Used the apk from post #3, from ajftl.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
I only tried a few sentences with it, but it worked fine. A coworker played with it for a little longer, and while he had a hard time using it, it was his first time trying Swype. Filing it under user error rather than program error.

Used the apk from post #3, from ajftl.

That's AWESOME news!!! Thanks for writing back!!! Yea I can see how people who dont know how to use it can dislike it or have a hard time....but honestly I think its very easy to use and simple..no?? LOL... It's the best on screen keyboard I've ever used hands down and look forward to continue using it on my android htc evo once I get it!!! :D

So you just installed that file from post #3 and then it was there under the kb selection when you go to write and email/sms and thats it?? easy to install??

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
ok i just installed it.. seems good.. havent test it a whole day but works good so far.. i downloaded appinstaller from market then u would have to go to applications and check mark the unknown sources. just drag the app to ur sd once is there unplug the phone and open appinstaller swipe should be there. install it and done

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
ok i just installed it.. seems good.. havent test it a whole day but works good so far.. i downloaded appinstaller from market then u would have to go to applications and check mark the unknown sources. just drag the app to ur sd once is there unplug the phone and open appinstaller swipe should be there. install it and done

sweet thanks for giving it a try and getting back to us all with the info!!! :D
btw does the keyboard have the speech button so you can speak an e-mail/sms like other android kb's?

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
no speak option in swype

Attachments

• snap20100524_235352.jpg
    snap20100524_235352.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 507

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
no 100% sure.. it is a beta version.. might expire.. been using it all day crazy texting.. np so far. works way better than on my HD2 lol. super smooth....
this phone rules

Status
Not open for further replies.