S7 Edge "Bootloader Exception" bug

Search This thread

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

I've received my S7 Edge today(Exynos), yay.
All was working flawlessly until few moments ago, I was running 3Dmark, and before I even start to bench, while i was downloading the first scene The screen goes all black, then after 10 seconds, there's a message on top (in the same way a rooted phone would display "kernel is not seandroid enforced..."):

Bootloader Exception
[RST_START = 0x100000000 ]
[...]
Exception: do_handler_serror: SERROR(esr: 0xbf00000000)
[...]

I didn't install any rom, root or else, it's pure stock untouched. I tried to reboot phone using volume down+power, it reboots I think (screen goes all black) but quickly the same message appears... :(

I'm surely going to call phone operator to tell them that phone is KO, but if one of you guys has any idea that would avoid me to send back phone to warranty, it would be nice :)

Thanks !

Last edited:

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
I'd suggest a factory reset if the above fails.

Hold Power + Volume Up + Menu

Then use the volume keys to scroll to factory reset and select using menu or power buttons.

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for you answers,

Unfortunately any key combination is not working can't get into recovery nor download mode ...
I don't want to try Odin, scared about potential warranty issues ... but it kills me to have to send the phone back to sammy and wait .. :(

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for you answers,

Unfortunately any key combination is not working can't get into recovery nor download mode ...
I don't want to try Odin, scared about potential warranty issues ... but it kills me to have to send the phone back to sammy and wait .. :(

The phone must be off for the Volume Up + Power + Home button combination to work. Keep those pressed for like 10 seconds, even after the phone powers on. I just tried it on my S7 Edge (which drops every call) and could restore to factory settings (but didn't solve the issue).

Reactions: Mr_PoPoP

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
The phone must be off for the Volume Up + Power + Home button combination to work. Keep those pressed for like 10 seconds, even after the phone powers on. I just tried it on my S7 Edge (which drops every call) and could restore to factory settings (but didn't solve the issue).

Thanks for your advices !

Unfortunately, even with this combination and a lot of patience I cannot manage to "bypass" this Bootloader error ... :(
I'm mad because it will take one month to get a new phone from my operator(just called them ...)

So maybe i'm going to try Odin ... but if I cannot put my phone into download mode, i'm f*ckued, right ?

Here's a photo of the error message :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_3xOO1wyNGMVWl1RUFybTZoM3c

Last edited:

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for your advices !

Unfortunately, even with this combination and a lot of patience I cannot manage to "bypass" this Bootloader error ... :(
I'm mad because it will take one month to get a new phone from my operator(just called them ...)

So maybe i'm going to try Odin ... but if I cannot put my phone into download mode, i'm f*ckued, right ?

Here's a photo of the error message :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_3xOO1wyNGMVWl1RUFybTZoM3c

I'm stumped. I've never seen that before

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
Can you do a factory reset from the Settings menu?

Nope, the phone doesn't boot anymore... it only displays the bootloader error message...
And no possibility to access reboot or recovery... :(

Maybe I can try to check with ADB, but my problem is that i would need to active USB debugging in settings ... but i can't do that :(

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
Return it. Nand flash died.

Yep, I wanted to avoid it, but I don't see other reasonnable option. The phone didn't last more than 24h ... ok, it happens, I know ...

My previous (Still actual (sic)) Phone was a Note 3 and I installed so much roms, soft bricked the device so many times, but I could always restore it ... But not the S7 EDGE ... And I didn't spot any other user with same bootloader issue...

I've just sent back the phone for replacement, Thanks for all who replied to me in this thread :)

Oh and by the way : don't download 3DMark from play store , it will Hard brick your phone !!! (haha just kidding , i know it's not what caused my phone to die, I'm sure of it , however I won't try to install it anymore i think^^ )

Cheers XDA crew !!

Borgella

Mar 10, 2016
Mine has done just the same. went to bed, woke up this morning and the same message as yourself.

Mr_PoPoP

Oct 13, 2011
Mine has done just the same. went to bed, woke up this morning and the same message as yourself.

Sorry to hear that bro :(

Try things to troubleshoot if you wanna, but my advice : don't lose one day of trying to fix it, send it back directly to warranty...
I tried lot of things, key combination to reboot phone in recovery or download, I tried Kies, Odin, ADB....

I believe it's a real samsung bug that will happen to many people, So send it now before sammy is drowned under hard bricked S7 phones and start to have issues to provide replacement devices....

aramisathei

Jul 21, 2015
For anyone else who runs into this issue, I managed to fix my phone.
Holding the power and VOL down buttons for about 5-10 seconds will reboot the phone; if you hold home at the same time you can get into download mode (might take a couple tries).
From there, you can flash a new bootloader (BL option in odin) and then get back into recovery to do whatever you need to do.

Went from soft-brick to full restore in about ten minutes--not even a factory reset necessary.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: Kjc99

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    solved "Bootloader Exception" bug

I am using Galaxy S7 (G930W8) Koodo. I tried to root S7 through odin I face same problem. if you face this problem you go to following ways.

1) Home key + Vol down + Power key (Phone goes to black screen that time you change your finger to VOL UP keep other fingers are same)

2) Home key + Vol up + Power key (Phone comes to Recovery mode)

3) Select Reboot Bootloader select and long press to change the colour of select bar

4) After changing colour of bar select bootloder when display gone to black select Vol down + Home key + Power key

5) The came to downloading mode then you can flash through stock rom (AP)

THANK YOU
    alexpv35@gmail.com
    Return it. Nand flash died.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd suggest a factory reset if the above fails.

Hold Power + Volume Up + Menu

Then use the volume keys to scroll to factory reset and select using menu or power buttons.
    Hmm. Don't know :)
    But let's hope you manage to restore your device :good:

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using XDA Labs

yeap everything is fine, i rooted again, flasher twrp, and now restoring my previus rom.
    Btw, that happened to me by flashing another logo using this forum
    Not sure if the flat S7 also has this bug however.

Owner of a flat S7 here (Canadian version: SM-G930W8 with Rogers, stock firmware: G930W8VLU2API1 ). I just encountered the problem. Device has been in my possession for <5 days; actual first use is today.
    I tried to flash a root bootloader from one of the famous thread around here, specifically this one.. There is also this one, but they seem to be using the exact same files. This is not my first experience flashing custom or stock ROMs (previous phone is Galaxy S4).

Here are pictures of the screen:
    Initial bricking (same message as of now). Obtained through any attempt at normal booting.
    http://i.imgur.com/pEfdXfL.jpg

Download mode is accessible (and device will be recognized in Odin). This was discovered accidentally as I went through the initial shock of understanding what had happened. I kept holding Volume Down + Power + Home button at the same time. This is correlated with other posters from this thread. Note: When trying to access Download mode, device will always reboot once and display the exception. Keep holding the buttons. It will shortly reboot and enter download mode.
    http://i.imgur.com/oAJNL4e.jpg

Closeup of the information visible in download mode.
    http://i.imgur.com/k6kkt4U.jpg

Recovery mode is accessible. First, a reboot is necessary by holding Volume down + Home + Power, and immeditaly when seeing the screen going black, switching to hold Volume UP + Home + Power. The screen will first show an exclamation mark symbol with an Android, then proceed with the following menu (the standard recovery mode).
    http://i.imgur.com/RQN3ese.jpg

A very significant observation is that holding Power and Home together (only those two) for any lenght of time (any) does not result in a forced reboot or shutdown. I always suspected that this was a hard coded feature of every device, as a failsafe. I'm stumped.

I'm all against returning a phone when it's screwed because of a user's error, however considering the current thread and my background in electrical engineering, this sounds plausibly like a hardware failure. As per nitrous²'s suggestion, I would like to contribute my manufacturing date so we could highlight a bad production however it's still soft-bricked at this point.

My action items are for now:
    - Use a non modified original firmware, and entirely flash it. (See Update 1 just below)
    - Take the item back to the store (see my previous sentence about returns).

Update 1
    I have succesfully flashed with Odin the original firmware G930W8VLU2API1, as per the unrooting instructions of the first rooting thread (see first link of this post). The device is now back to a factory reset and boots normally.
    Odin interface with files used:
    http://i.imgur.com/hBL9e7N.png

After the flashing, on the initial start: http://i.imgur.com/ekuijMS.jpg and finally: http://i.imgur.com/EzazlNi.jpg

I did not try Smart Switch.

Conclusion
    In my case, the bootloader exception error was corrected by reverting to the original firmware. This leads me to believe that the rooting for this model is not yet stable or fully functional. This also suggest that a NAND or hardware failure is not involved - I expect that if the NAND area concerned with the bootloader was damaged, I'd still see problems by now too. I don't really know how to contact anyone in charge of the root loader so meanwhile I'll keep lurking and look for a possible update.
    I am so relieved now.

Update 2
    As per nitrous²'s suggestion, this one has been built on Sep. 1, 2016.