FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

478 posts
Thanks Meter: 420

By cgutman, Senior Member on 31st October 2013, 03:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th April 2016, 09:09 PM |#3391  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thank for all of that information!

It seems I edited too soon, whenever I reboot GFE updates, even with Nvidia Network Service set to disabled - do you have a recommended way to hold updates so I can keep using 2.11.2.46, which seems to prevent Assassin's Creed Unity stuttering for me?

6th April 2016, 04:04 AM |#3392  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusf

Thank for all of that information!

It seems I edited too soon, whenever I reboot GFE updates, even with Nvidia Network Service set to disabled - do you have a recommended way to hold updates so I can keep using 2.11.2.46, which seems to prevent Assassin's Creed Unity stuttering for me?

Have you tried the 2.11.2.65 update that was released today? You'll need to download it from NVIDIA's website manually since GFE won't autoupdate to it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
6th April 2016, 04:17 AM |#3393  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
can anyone help me stream with moonlight-chrome
i have Tom Clancy's The Division and trying to stream it to my friends over the internet from my laptop 970m
6th April 2016, 04:21 AM |#3394  
OP Senior Member

More
Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 1)
Since there seems to be some interest in this Moonlight port for Chrome, I've decided to put a binary up for testing. Please report your thoughts on it.

Working:
- Pairing and streaming
- Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
- Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
- Keyboard and mouse input (with the caveat of Esc kicking the app out of full screen)

Not working:
- No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
- mDNS auto-discovery of PCs
- (Very) Non-final UI
- A few settings are missing
- Error handling needs work
- Controller detection can be wonky at times (try fully exiting and restarting Chrome)

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml92xvot25...hrome.crx?dl=0
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
6th April 2016, 06:22 AM |#3395  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i am wiling to be a tester and put time and effort in to it
[QUOTE=cgutman;66215953]Since there seems to be some interest in this Moonlight port for Chrome, I've decided to put a binary up for testing. Please report your thoughts on it.

Working:
- Pairing and streaming
- Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
- Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
- Keyboard and mouse input (with the caveat of Esc kicking the app out of full screen)

Not working:
- No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
- mDNS auto-discovery of PCs
- (Very) Non-final UI
- A few settings are missing
- Error handling needs work
- Controller detection can be wonky at times (try fully exiting and restarting Chrome)

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

please stay in touch , anyone who like to cowork with me on this
6th April 2016, 08:59 AM |#3396  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman

Have you tried the 2.11.2.65 update that was released today? You'll need to download it from NVIDIA's website manually since GFE won't autoupdate to it yet.

Yes, I actually installed it after seeing Josh's update just before I read your first reply last night. From what I have read on the official forums, issues occur often with GFE, is there a way to hold the version should that happen in future? I did stop and disable Nvidia Network Service in services.msc, but after rebooting (and confirming it was still disabled), on starting GFE it updated anyway (this is before installing the version released last night). The only other thing I read to try was to delete the SETUP 'app' (which I am assuming just means the .exe rather than that and the .ini) file in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience\Update, which I have done, but I do not know yet if that works.

Quote:

2. As far as the GameStream protocool is concerned, there's just a flag to set if we want GFE to adjust game settings when starting the stream. Moonlight and Shield Hub don't directly control the actual settings chosen. IIRC, older GFE versions often did set the settings the way you describe, however recent ones seem to do something different. Having a higher display resolution than stream resolution isn't neccessarily useless, because a downsampled image may look better than an image rendered at the native resolution of the stream (similar to how DSR works).

1. - That flag, will it just have GFE adjust settings as per how they are configured to run on desktop, or does it do something different when using Moonlight/Gamestream on say a Shield TV? Do you know what the recent GFE versions you speak of do?

Yes, DSR had crossed my mind, and I also like the idea of not having to change settings depending on where I play from

I think what I will do is configure all of my games to run at at least approximately 60 fps, including some GFE recognised and optimised games, as Nvidia seem to value image quality over refresh rate. I will configure the GFE optimised games by using the performance to quality slider within it.

2. - Since the Samsung TV I have the Shield TV connected to has a Samsung rated refresh rate of 300 'PQI', which is estimated to be between 60 Hz and 100 Hz (PITA they do not just give this information out anymore), for games that are running on my desktop with a refresh rate more like 144 Hz, should I lower their in game settings, or does Moonlight and GS encode the stream to the lower refresh rate automatically?

3. - As my desktop monitor is G-Sync I have games configured with V-Sync off, should I enable G-Sync when streaming to the TV?

Quote:

3. The list of apps for GameStream is decided by GFE and it merely reports the list to Moonlight. The box art definitely has no effect on the stream quality at all. However, people may be confusing having box art with GFE recognizing the game and applying optimizations for streaming. Manually added games don't have the benefit of GFE's optimizations, so the streaming experience may not be as good as if GFE natively recognized the game.

I had thought initially the games Gamestream displayed the art for were the same ones GFE recognised for optimisation, but there are games displayed with art in Moonlight/Gamestream that GFE did not recognise to optimise automatically. Basically there are three categories, i. Games GFE recognises for optimisation and displays the box art for in ML/GS, ii: Games GFE does not recognise for optimisation, either because the games are not supported or a bug (e.g. Alien Isolation not supported), but still displays the box art for, and iii: games that had to be added manually and do not display the box art.

4. - Would you ever considering adding some kind of box art feature to Moonlight for this third category, perhaps it could work how Kodi does with TV Shows etc? In fact, a Moonlight plugin for Kodi would be very, very cool

Quote:

You can try streaming your whole desktop - see steps here: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/...entire-desktop

I will check that out, although I am hoping the game will just launch normally, it is after all on the officially supported list!
6th April 2016, 02:42 PM |#3397  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Anyone have a problem with on screen buttons on Moonlight with street fighter v? Its not detected at all, I have already tried the fix on geforce forum it doesn't work, anyone have the same issue?
6th April 2016, 05:15 PM |#3398  
Thanks Meter: 1,096

More
Moonlight Chrome Issue #1
Hey Cam,

Attached is a screenshot of the Moonlight Chrome Alpha, with an issue;

It pairs successfully (as evidenced by the toast), but it doesn't show a games list, regardless of whether I re-pair, fetch the games list, click the drop-down menu and dance a jig.

Looks real sexy though - well done!

FYI: I blanked out my IP address :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonlight_chrome.png
Views:	94
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	3709597  
7th April 2016, 10:05 AM |#3399  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliott94260

Anyone have a problem with on screen buttons on Moonlight with street fighter v? Its not detected at all, I have already tried the fix on geforce forum it doesn't work, anyone have the same issue?

search for xinput/dinput patch fix for street fighter v. This is an issue from the game.
7th April 2016, 10:38 AM |#3400  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello,
I would like to say a big thanks to all the Moonlight team.
You have done an incredible work, and it is a fantastic app!
@cgutman, your Chrome App works like a charm, and it is fantastic to play The Division on my Mac or on my TV
Keep the good work!
7th April 2016, 03:41 PM |#3401  
Thanks Meter: 1,096

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebspawnshop

Hey Cam,

Attached is a screenshot of the Moonlight Chrome Alpha, with an issue;

It pairs successfully (as evidenced by the toast), but it doesn't show a games list, regardless of whether I re-pair, fetch the games list, click the drop-down menu and dance a jig.

Looks real sexy though - well done!

FYI: I blanked out my IP address :P

Please ignore this bug report;

It seems that updating GFE to the latest version has resolved the issues.

I was previously on a rather old version, but it never updated itself. Today it did, and all is working very well.

Big congratulations on an extraordinary piece of software you and your team have developed here.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, game streaming, gamestream, geforce experience, shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)