S-Off with HBOOT 2.00.0002?

Search This thread

kleest

Jun 11, 2013
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Maybe a slightly naive question......but I obviously need to downgrade my HBOOT to achieve S-OFF on the phone via the Rev method.
Can I restore my HBOOT version back to 2.00.0002 without running another RUU through it or is there another method.
My MIUI ROM works OK under 2.00.0002 should expect problems if it it runs under an earlier version ?

It's been awhile since I've S-OFFed my phone, so my information may not be correct; please be careful!

If I remember correctly it's not possible to flash a HBOOT image from a rooted rom if you are S-ON (since that's the sense behind S-ON). However you could try it. If it prevents flashing to the HBOOT partition ("permission denied" or something similar), your device will not be tainted; but as always: There is a possible risk of bricking the device. For information about flashing HBOOT image from a running rooted device see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1186401: "How to: Upgrade to new HBOOT version 2.00.2002 / Downgrade to old HBOOT" (without steps 1 & 9). Of course you need to flash a revolutionary compatible HBOOT image (not 2.00.0002 as mentioned in the guide): The attachment in this thread contains two HBOOT versions as images, "hboot_0.98.0000_361a7ba6_0310.img" is what you need. After confirming your device is running "0.98.2000 (PG8810000)" you are ready to try revolutionary.

If this doesn't work the only way to downgrade is running an RUU which will delete all of your data, but restoring an NANDROID backup is fairly easy to get your data back.

To your second question: HBOOT should not have any influence on the ROM (never 100% guarantee though).

CRJ343

Mar 14, 2016
HTC One (M8)
It's been awhile since I've S-OFFed my phone, so my information may not be correct; please be careful!

If I remember correctly it's not possible to flash a HBOOT image from a rooted rom if you are S-ON (since that's the sense behind S-ON). However you could try it. If it prevents flashing to the HBOOT partition ("permission denied" or something similar), your device will not be tainted; but as always: There is a possible risk of bricking the device. For information about flashing HBOOT image from a running rooted device see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1186401: "How to: Upgrade to new HBOOT version 2.00.2002 / Downgrade to old HBOOT" (without steps 1 & 9). Of course you need to flash a revolutionary compatible HBOOT image (not 2.00.0002 as mentioned in the guide): The attachment in this thread contains two HBOOT versions as images, "hboot_0.98.0000_361a7ba6_0310.img" is what you need. After confirming your device is running "0.98.2000 (PG8810000)" you are ready to try revolutionary.

If this doesn't work the only way to downgrade is running an RUU which will delete all of your data, but restoring an NANDROID backup is fairly easy to get your data back.

To your second question: HBOOT should not have any influence on the ROM (never 100% guarantee though).

Thanks for your advice.....
I successfully downgraded from 2.00.0002 --> 0.98.2000 by changing the version with misc_version and running in an earlier RUU.
I then ran the "new" Rev method and got S-OFF
Reinstalled Ext4 Recovery
When I tried to restore my backup ROMs just got a brief splash screen related to the RUU above then....nothing
Tried flashing boot.img for the relevant ROMS
Then I tried to reinstall the ROM from the zip....still nothing
What did I do wrong ?

kleest

Jun 11, 2013
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Thanks for your advice.....
I successfully downgraded from 2.00.0002 --> 0.98.2000 by changing the version with misc_version and running in an earlier RUU.
I then ran the "new" Rev method and got S-OFF
Reinstalled Ext4 Recovery
When I tried to restore my backup ROMs just got a brief splash screen related to the RUU above then....nothing
Tried flashing boot.img for the relevant ROMS
Then I tried to reinstall the ROM from the zip....still nothing
What did I do wrong ?

Could you please be a little more precise, otherwise it's very hard to track the issue down.
Have you successfully booted into recovery and restored the backup but booting fails after that? Or are you unable to boot into recovery?
Did flashing have any log output?

Furthermore which is your device's current status when booting into HBOOT: Version, Locked/Unlocked?

CRJ343

Mar 14, 2016
HTC One (M8)
Could you please be a little more precise, otherwise it's very hard to track the issue down.
Have you successfully booted into recovery and restored the backup but booting fails after that? Or are you unable to boot into recovery?
Did flashing have any log output?

Furthermore which is your device's current status when booting into HBOOT: Version, Locked/Unlocked?
I was able to boot into recovery.
I was able to select a ROM to restore.
The restore completed without any problems.
The phone would not reboot the restored ROM.
I then tried to flash the boot.img for the restored ROM (appeared to be OK) and tried to reboot. At both attempts I simply got the brief splash screen for the RUU.
I was then able to boot into Recovery by doing a battery pull.

kleest

Jun 11, 2013
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I was able to boot into recovery.
I was able to select a ROM to restore.
The restore completed without any problems.
The phone would not reboot the restored ROM.
I then tried to flash the boot.img for the restored ROM (appeared to be OK) and tried to reboot. At both attempts I simply got the brief splash screen for the RUU.
I was then able to boot into Recovery by doing a battery pull.

This is strange.
What's your HBOOT version and Lock-Status (if any)? I'm currently running "0.98.2000 (PG8810000)", S-OFF without any problems (simply flashing a ZIP via recovery is enough). Maybe try to upgrade to this HBOOT version?

CRJ343

Mar 14, 2016
HTC One (M8)
This is strange.
What's your HBOOT version and Lock-Status (if any)? I'm currently running "0.98.2000 (PG8810000)", S-OFF without any problems (simply flashing a ZIP via recovery is enough). Maybe try to upgrade to this HBOOT version?
HBOOT became 0.98.2002 after running the RUU and then became 6.98 after using Revolutionary. The phone was S-OFF.
After running Revolutionary was I supposed to "do" anything else ?
If A ROM is saved with simply the Bootloader unlocked (htcdev method) does it hold less data than a "fully unlocked" device.
The current situation is that I have now returned the phone to a usable state by flashing ENGHBOOT 6.98 --> ENGHBOOT 0.98 --> running in another RUU (bring ing it back to 2.00.0002 ----> htcdev to unlock bootloader ---> flashing EXT4 recovery. I was able to restore my ROMS.
I would like to have another go at doing a proper root. I have also noticed that in some cases simply flashing a boot.img is not enough to allow a ROM restore to take place particularly if I switch from a GB ROM to an ICS ROM; am I missing something here as well .....the workaround being, in the case of ICS, to install the zip again and then restore the backup or in the case a GB ROM to relock run in an RUU, unlock, reflash recovery, followed by a restore of the GB ROM - all a bit tedious !!!

Last edited:

kleest

Jun 11, 2013
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
HBOOT became 0.98.2002 after running the RUU and then became 6.98 after using Revolutionary. The phone was S-OFF.
After running Revolutionary was I supposed to "do" anything else ?
If A ROM is saved with simply the Bootloader unlocked (htcdev method) does it hold less data than a "fully unlocked" device.
The current situation is that I have now returned the phone to a usable state by flashing ENGHBOOT 6.98 --> ENGHBOOT 0.98 --> running in another RUU (bring ing it back to 2.00.0002 ----> htcdev to unlock bootloader ---> flashing EXT4 recovery. I was able to restore my ROMS.
I would like to have another go at doing a proper root. I have also noticed that in some cases simply flashing a boot.img is not enough to allow a ROM restore to take place particularly if I switch from a GB ROM to an ICS ROM; am I missing something here as well .....the workaround being, in the case of ICS, to install the zip again and then restore the backup or in the case a GB ROM to relock run in an RUU, unlock, reflash recovery, followed by a restore of the GB ROM - all a bit tedious !!!
I don't know if it's required to update to another HBOOT version after running Revolutionary.
It might be possible that a backup created by a recovery when the devices is HTC-Dev unlocked does not have the right boot image since boot image access is restricted from recovery (well, write access is not possible; I don't know about read though). Therefore you might need to flash the boot image from the original zip directly.
Stupid question: You are flashing the boot.img AFTER recovery restore, aren't you?
Last idea: cache problem, maybe wiping cache via recovery helps. Apart from that I can't image what's the problem you are facing. :(

Just let me tell you my two setups (which work on my device flawlessly):
1st setup:
- RUU to HBOOT 0.98.2002 (locked, S-ON)
- Got revolutionary
- Flashed ENGHBOOT 0.98.2002 (S-OFF)
- Flash ZIP via recovery (or restore backup)
- reboot
- works

2nd setup:
- RUU to HBOOT 2.00.0002 (locked, S-ON)
- HTC dev unlock (UNLOCKED, S-ON)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img (taken from ZIP)
- reboot
- works

CRJ343

Mar 14, 2016
HTC One (M8)
I don't know if it's required to update to another HBOOT version after running Revolutionary.
It might be possible that a backup created by a recovery when the devices is HTC-Dev unlocked does not have the right boot image since boot image access is restricted from recovery (well, write access is not possible; I don't know about read though). Therefore you might need to flash the boot image from the original zip directly.
Stupid question: You are flashing the boot.img AFTER recovery restore, aren't you?
Last idea: cache problem, maybe wiping cache via recovery helps. Apart from that I can't image what's the problem you are facing. :(

Just let me tell you my two setups (which work on my device flawlessly):
1st setup:
- RUU to HBOOT 0.98.2002 (locked, S-ON)
- Got revolutionary
- Flashed ENGHBOOT 0.98.2002 (S-OFF)
- reboot
- works

2nd setup:
- RUU to HBOOT 2.00.0002 (locked, S-ON)
- HTC dev unlock (UNLOCKED, S-ON)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img (taken from ZIP)
- reboot
- works

The 2nd setup is what I have at the moment and it works without a problem except for the slight oddity that switching between GB and ICS ROMS sometimes needs the zip to be flashed again....a boot.img doesn't always work.
On the 1st setup I was unable to get any ROM to work either by running in a zip or by a restore or by a restore followed by boot.img flash
I noticed that the phone seemed to "remember" that it had originally been unlocked with HTC dev when I returned S-OFF --> S-ON.
Is it necessary to flash an ENGHBOOT after revolutionary..what is the difference between that set by Revolutionary 6.98 and the ENGHBOOT 6.98 ?

kleest

Jun 11, 2013
OnePlus 6
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
The 2nd setup is what I have at the moment and it works without a problem except for the slight oddity that switching between GB and ICS ROMS sometimes needs the zip to be flashed again....a boot.img doesn't always work.
On the 1st setup I was unable to get any ROM to work either by running in a zip or by a restore or by a restore followed by boot.img flash
I noticed that the phone seemed to "remember" that it had originally been unlocked with HTC dev when I returned S-OFF --> S-ON.
Is it necessary to flash an ENGHBOOT after revolutionary..what is the difference between that set by Revolutionary 6.98 and the ENGHBOOT 6.98 ?
I don't remember if it's necessary or what the differences are. All I can say is, that it works for me :/.

Top Liked Posts