FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

478 posts
Thanks Meter: 420

By cgutman, Senior Member on 31st October 2013, 03:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th April 2016, 01:14 PM |#3431  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk33

Cat 6 is just a type of ethernet cable… lol. Nothing special. Just well-shielded and capable of best speeds. Yes powerlines can be iffy. But they can be a lifesaver for a lot of people who have trouble cabling their house up.

AC wifi is fantastic, 5ghz is important for me as well because my tab and my phone play up when using bluetooth and 2.4 wifi at same time

Sent from my SM-G925F using XDA Free mobile app

So is the chrome extension different than the pc software or is it the same as the android one as i heard you need a powerful pc for the pc software.

17th April 2016, 02:22 PM |#3432  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallek97

So is the chrome extension different than the pc software or is it the same as the android one as i heard you need a powerful pc for the pc software.

The chrome extention will (I think) eventually replace the old java pc app. It is so much smoother. Its not the same as the android one as its not android based… but it runs just as well.

All you have to do is install chrome, drag the extention in and then u can create a shortcut to moonlight in the task bar… job done easy.

17th April 2016, 07:32 PM |#3433  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have a question about this app and how it works. I have an official Nvidia Shield device, which uses the native streaming app. But I have noticed that the controller input is buggy on it. Games like Dragon's Dogma Arisen do not work on Nvidias app at all. It maps some invisible controller with numbers as buttons.

Moonlight does this as well, but I found a workaround which was launching steam within Moonlight, and then launching the game via big picture mode. The game then acknowledges that the controller is an XBOX controller and works perfectly fine.

Why is it that when I launch Steam in Moonlight, the controller works perfectly fine; but if I launch the game in gamestream (nvidias native app) via steam, it does not work. What's different between the two, and is there a way I can fix the native app?

Quote:

The chrome extention will (I think) eventually replace the old java pc app. It is so much smoother. Its not the same as the android one as its not android based… but it runs just as well.

All you have to do is install chrome, drag the extention in and then u can create a shortcut to moonlight in the task bar… job done easy.

Is there any plans to support higher resolutions other than 1080p on the PC client?
17th April 2016, 11:24 PM |#3434  
OP Senior Member

More
Moonlight Chrome Test Build (Alpha 2)
Changes from Alpha 1:
- Fixed Esc key kicking the app out of full-screen (press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Q to quit)
- Fixed sometimes requiring a restart of Chrome for gamepad detection to work
- Added mDNS auto-discovery of PCs

Working:
- Pairing and streaming
- Hardware accelerated video decoding up to 1080p60
- Game controllers (currently limited to those for which Chrome has a built-in mapping, like Xbox and DualShock controllers)
- Keyboard and mouse input
- mDNS auto-discovery of PCs

Not working:
- No feedback when starting a stream - just be patient and wait for the video stream
- (Very) Non-final UI
- A few settings are missing
- Error handling needs work

To install, drag the CRX file into the Extensions (Menu -> More Tools -> Extensions) page of Chrome.

To launch, use Chrome App Launcher, the Extensions page, or just search for Moonlight on your PC and you should see it installed like a normal program.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ome-alpha2.crx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
17th April 2016, 11:35 PM |#3435  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Yep, Java app will be going away in favor of the Chrome app which has much better streaming performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyadissa

I have a question about this app and how it works. I have an official Nvidia Shield device, which uses the native streaming app. But I have noticed that the controller input is buggy on it. Games like Dragon's Dogma Arisen do not work on Nvidias app at all. It maps some invisible controller with numbers as buttons.

Moonlight does this as well, but I found a workaround which was launching steam within Moonlight, and then launching the game via big picture mode. The game then acknowledges that the controller is an XBOX controller and works perfectly fine.

Why is it that when I launch Steam in Moonlight, the controller works perfectly fine; but if I launch the game in gamestream (nvidias native app) via steam, it does not work. What's different between the two, and is there a way I can fix the native app?

Is there any plans to support higher resolutions other than 1080p on the PC client?

I'm not sure why Moonlight and Shield Hub differ in behavior. You could try toggling the multi-controller checkbox in Shield Hub for that game and see if that makes a difference.

The Chrome app will support 4K streaming on PC soon, as long as your client PC's GPU can decode a 4K 30/60 FPS H.264 video stream. The next alpha should have it, assuming no major issues come up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgutman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cgutman Ad-Free
18th April 2016, 12:29 AM |#3436  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutman

Yep, Java app will be going away in favor of the Chrome app which has much better streaming performance.

I'm not sure why Moonlight and Shield Hub differ in behavior. You could try toggling the multi-controller checkbox in Shield Hub for that game and see if that makes a difference.

The Chrome app will support 4K streaming on PC soon, as long as your client PC's GPU can decode a 4K 30/60 FPS H.264 video stream. The next alpha should have it, assuming no major issues come up.

My host pc has a 4k tv connected to it so I play gta in 4k no problem. If I leave it on 4k and stream to pc on same lan using chrome app, if I dont change the 4k to 1080 its really jerky. Will this change when you provide 4k support?

Many thanks again for an amazing app

18th April 2016, 05:50 PM |#3437  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbb13

Finally managed to get Moonlight streaming at 1080/60fps at 100Mbps and although it looks fantastic at a slight distance from the screen using it as part of an HMD for 3D VR there is one hugely noticeable issue, which I'm guessing is just native to Nvidias gamestream itself. Every time I move (for example streaming Skyrim to my LG G3) parts of the image blur slightly as if it's predicting the decoding for it. Once I stop moving a few milliseconds later everything returns to perfect clarity again. Is there anything at all that I can do to get around this issue? Or is this just how game streaming works in general? I was under the impression the decoding should be taking place between the image streaming & showing on screen, hence the latency of the decoding? Or is that not the case and there is no way around this? I have tried every resolution combination in Moonlight and everything from 10mbps up to the full 100 and although I have no packet loss showing or network error messages at all I still get this issue. Anyway huge thanks for all the work on Moonlight, is the only streaming solution that comes any where near close to enjoyable.

Hi, I know you said you were still suffering problems, but could you please share how you got your lg g3 to stream at 100mps? Thanks in advance....
18th April 2016, 05:53 PM |#3438  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc2face

Hi, I know you said you were still suffering problems, but could you please share how you got your lg g3 to stream at 100mps? Thanks in advance....

My wifi can stream up to 950....100 is no problem
18th April 2016, 06:29 PM |#3439  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Why iOS and Android have different built in touch controlls?
18th April 2016, 07:38 PM |#3440  

More
Quote:

My wifi can stream up to 950....100 is no problem

How does that help? Question was posed to an lg 3g user, like me?

Do you have any relevant info regarding streaming to a g3 at 950 or even 100 as requested?

Thanks
18th April 2016, 09:06 PM |#3441  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc2face

How does that help? Question was posed to an lg 3g user, like me?

Do you have any relevant info regarding streaming to a g3 at 950 or even 100 as requested?

Thanks

What I am trying to say is you're question makes no sense. If ur connection is over 100 you will get 100

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, game streaming, gamestream, geforce experience, shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)