FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Incredible USB/TV-Out Demystified - Tv out works!!!

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By smokeynerd, Junior Member on 31st May 2010, 07:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After looking closely inside the USB port on the side of my incredible I noticed 7 little pins at the back of the connector. I assumed they were for the Headset / TV-out but since no cables exist yet I decided to make one and see if that was the case, also to see if the serial debug still exists. I did not have a headset handy to confirm the Mic and Switch inputs but I labeled them based on what I had found.

I have attached a pinout diagram as well as picture of the adapter I made to connect to the pins, sadly this is not an adapter you can make with your bare hands unless you have A LOT of time .

If you have the capability to etch or machine a board I attached a .zip file with a .DXF of the adapter

Text Version of Pinout

6- Microphone+ ? (unconfirmed but stays low unlike pin 10)
7- AGD Appears to be a common ground for AV / Headset
8- Right +
9- Left +

10- Headset Switch? (pin is high, assuming waiting for pull down=switch depressed)
11- Headset Detect to AGND (Displays headset icon, Mutes phone speaker, sends audio out connector)
12- Video Out+ / Sense (Autosenses video connection when connected to RCA jack, brings up TV out dialog on phone)

PINOUT
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinout.jpg
Views:	5404
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	334886

ADAPTER

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	3200
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	334887

VIDEO TYPE SCREEN

Name:	Video_type.JPG
Views:	2808
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	336040

INCREDIBLE TV

Name:	tv_out.JPG
Views:	3148
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	336041
Attached Files
File Type: zip inc_av_conn.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.1 KB, 766 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to smokeynerd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smokeynerd Ad-Free

31st May 2010, 03:14 PM |#2  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Well, it does sorta exist....

shop.htcpedia.com

Apparently, some have reported it can be found in some Verizon stores... CODE: VZW6300TVOUT
1st June 2010, 02:39 PM |#3  
Flag Pittsburgh

More
so in your opinion, would any micro usb tv out rca cable work? I found a few on ebay that are for older LG phones.
1st June 2010, 03:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho

so in your opinion, would any micro usb tv out rca cable work? I found a few on ebay that are for older LG phones.

From what I have seen, it looks like a custom micro USB style connector. Similar to how HTC developed the ExtUSB off of the MiniUSB standard.

I have not seen the official HTC cable, so I may not be correct.

XC
2nd June 2010, 04:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
This is great info. Loaded with the connection info I may attempt to fabricate some kind of connection. Although Verizon or HTC are more likely to release their cable before I get around to this.
2nd June 2010, 05:42 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
***** for smokeynerd ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeynerd

...Sadly I do not have the pics of the TV out screen or a pic of it on my TV as I snapped the adapter board before I could get pics I made more than one board but dont have the spares here so screenshots will follow within a day or so...

I've got to say that, despite the facts that...
1. you are among those of us that reinvent wheels, and
2. have the patience of Christmas shoppers on Dec 24th,
this posting serves as prima facie evidence of your success.

Despite my bein' just about as poor as the red clay that covers this farm I'm on, I hereby offer to purchase an extra cable to send you (just as soon as I can locate a few of 'em).
LegionTHEFecalExcretion
2nd June 2010, 06:34 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
smokeynerd, you should start making and selling these! They would sell like hotcakes!! I would totally buy a few. Think about it man.
2nd June 2010, 07:52 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionTHEFecalExcretion

smokeynerd, you should start making and selling these! They would sell like hotcakes!! I would totally buy a few. Think about it man.

I mainly did this and presented it so people would stop wasting their money trying all sorts of cables and adapters because they simply wont work. My guess on the delay from HTC is some cable Mfg. had to completely re-tool their production line to handle the custom connector.

Presently the additional work (peeling extra copper) from the board after it is machined and labor of soldering wires makes it a total non-profit item and there is no USB connection so its not the most ideal connector. BUT... in the name of open source and the hardworking devs, If I can get the machine setup so that I dont have to peel them using an xacto knife and microscope I can send some out to those who are as impatient as I am and who aren't afraid to pick up a soldering iron.

Thanks for the feedback
2nd June 2010, 08:02 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho

I don't think they are the same connector but I cant find any good pics of them. the LG cable almost looks like it has pins that stick into sockets on the phone side to carry TV-OUT which woulndn't work for the incredible.
2nd June 2010, 10:21 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Nice work dude. It was cool to see this work.
2nd June 2010, 11:36 PM |#11  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I got it working too
With your pinout I decided to give this a try myself.

I made a cable by using a stranded RCA cable and some alligator clips and needles. This is a very temporary solution (I needed to hold the needles n the pins the whole time) and because this kept my hands occupied I could only take a picture from the Incredible itself

I cant wait till we get a cable for this (Official or unofficial)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	336504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0124.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	336505   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-06-02-15-31-34.jpg
Views:	626