[Q] Does your phone ever mix up contacts (when receiving sms)?

Search This thread
Aug 25, 2010
Something really odd just happened.

I got a text from my buddy Aaron.

Opened up my SMS, and it showed another contact's picture and phone number when looking at the thread. but when I went back to the list of sms threads, it would show Aaron's phone number (not connected to his contact, no picture, no name etc)...

If I clicked on it and went back into the thread, again another contacts name and phone number and picture

wtf ?!?!

So I deleted the sms thread. Went into contacts, and swiped left on Aaron's contact to text him, when in the sms typing area, it only shows his phone number and fails to connect his number to his actual contact.

When I call Aaron from my contacts though, it does show his picture ...

is this sort of thing a common occurance ?

All my contacts are sync'd with exchange (corporate) and most of them are linked to facebook.

I've got no contacts on my sim, or entered into the phone memory itself.

I also noticed that when using a 3rd party sms app, the texts don't get linked up to the contacts, so it would only show the numbers.

pda:I9000UGJG9
phone:I9000UGJG9
csc:I9000BMCJG9

bell phone running on fido

sensi_

Dec 27, 2008
This has been discussed many times before, its generally down to having other SMS applications on your device, ie Handscent.

this happened when i coded my own SMS app, left it installed on my phone for a few days and open the conversation to my mate and had all the msgs from my girlfriend in it...

Aug 23, 2010
Lol.. It actually happened to me a couple of time. Thankfully it solves itself when I hit the back button :p

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

666Lucifer

Jan 6, 2008
it happens me several times on 2 of 4 galaxys. this is totaly unacceptable offcourse. if this isnt fixed on froyo I have a galaxy for sale.

Vulpinity

Mar 25, 2009
This has been discussed many times before, its generally down to having other SMS applications on your device, ie Handscent.

It does it for me quite regularly, and I've never installed any other SMS apps. Bog standard JF3, never flashed, nothing.

It was also one of the first things my friend mentioned to me about his new Galaxy S, which hadn't even had a single app of any kind downloaded at the time.

Believe me, it's very weird to have a text apparently from your best male friend telling you how much they love you after the phone gets the name confused with your girlfriend. :D

Weeeeirdness. :eek:

jorkus

Sep 1, 2010
SMS problem yes, but Mail too!

I have had this problem with SMS a couple of times, but more serious and more frequent: Exchange mail mixes up, I get maibodies under wrong subject! I am using standard SGS Exchange client. Any other seen this?

mazroui

Jul 23, 2010
Abu Dhabi
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
guys, you do know this issue is just a SMS software bug eh?

have you guys tried using ChompSMS (freebie)

that will prevent the problem of mixing contacts

Yup it sure is and i can confirm it on the firmware jpjg8

iv been recieving a lot of sms's and on the notification it gives me some random contact name but once opened it correctly goes back to the original sender with the text. i havn't tried using a diff sms app as im pretty happy with the stock 1 in use.

as for a fix , i found out that a big list of contacts and sms's do confuse the phone and try as much as possible to keep it as small as possible but id love to keep those sms's / mms's , so still no real fix T_T

karanits

Sep 8, 2010
New Delhi
bump .. me also haveing the same problem. contacts name in the notification is displayed wrong ..but it corrects itself when i open the sms.

using another app solved it

Bax5

Oct 8, 2010
I Have the same problem as the two people below.

I'll get a new text message, and it will show up on the notifications bar as from some random person, and i'll get another text from the same person and the notification will show another random name. They seem to be names of people that have previously sent me a message, but it is quite strange... It only started happening recently, so maybe it is an app or something conflicting?

The only things that come to mind are the LauncherPro messaging widget that i've been putting on one of my homescreens.

I'm running
Firmware 2.1-upadate1
I9000UGJH2
ECLAIR.UGJH2

rooted and running one click lag fix
also running trillian in the background, as well as beautiful widgets wheather.

can you guys post some info on what you are running so that maybe we can find a cause for this?

bump .. me also haveing the same problem. contacts name in the notification is displayed wrong ..but it corrects itself when i open the sms.

using another app solved it

Yup it sure is and i can confirm it on the firmware jpjg8

iv been recieving a lot of sms's and on the notification it gives me some random contact name but once opened it correctly goes back to the original sender with the text. i havn't tried using a diff sms app as im pretty happy with the stock 1 in use.

as for a fix , i found out that a big list of contacts and sms's do confuse the phone and try as much as possible to keep it as small as possible but id love to keep those sms's / mms's , so still no real fix T_T

abgismok

Mar 1, 2008
I experience the same on my desire z with htc's default app.
Is the a solution for this?

I find custom flashing and limiting the number of contacts ridiculously lame - no offence, but these bare not $10 devices :)

stickfinger

Feb 25, 2008
I had this bug on 2.1. I had no other text app installed so put it down to an eclair/rom version bug. Mine would also text the wrong people if it had got the contacts mixed. Best fix for me was a reboot.

I'm on Froyo now and no sign of it so far......fingers crossed

Delmas

May 10, 2016
This very same thing is happening to me now. Called my carrier but they couldn't help. Hoping to find a solution here.