Search This thread

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi Greenify authors/devs.
I'm using Greenify + Xposed + Boost Mode + Greenify Donation Package. I haven't GCM push notification. What i need to do?
In my previus Norma ROM v15 it worked, but now not working.
current rom: http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/development/rom-phronesis-rom-v1-0-stable-feature-t3241910/
You mean you don't have the option to enable GCM push in the Settings/Experimental Features of Greenify?
Or you don't get GCM notifications even though you have enabled that option? If so for which apps?
Are you running Greenify stable 2.7.1 or one of the betas?

dalisoft

Dec 25, 2014
Samarkand
You mean you don't have the option to enable GCM push in the Settings/Experimental Features of Greenify?
Or you don't get GCM notifications even though you have enabled that option? If so for which apps?
Are you running Greenify stable 2.7.1 or one of the betas?

GCM push notification enabled (checked). I have no idea about Greenify Beta tester. All apps can uses GCM push such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, IMO and etc. I now know, it's not working on some ROMs. Greenify 2.7.1 (in about shows 2.7). Donation package buyed. Thanks!

Moderators: Please close thread. It's working on other ROM (My error, sorry).

Last edited:

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
GCM push notification enabled (checked). I have no idea about Greenify Beta tester. All apps can uses GCM push such as WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, IMO and etc. I now know, it's not working on some ROMs. Greenify 2.7.1 (in about shows 2.7). Donation package buyed. Thanks!

Moderators: Please close thread. It's working on other ROM
The thread can not be closed on your request. It was not started by you.
For your information, atleast Facebook and WhatsApp do not use GCM.

slimcyril

Feb 7, 2015
@oasisfeng Greenify works impeccably on my s3 but settings don't stick after an update or reboot, could you keep me advised on how to resolve this issue?

Mr.Jay

Aug 7, 2012
Hi, I have donation package on my Z3 with Xposed and Boost mode activated. Apparently push notifiations are working fine in all my apps except on one of them, Facebook Messenger, anyone else is having issues with this one? Is there any way to fix push notifications on this app?

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Hi, I have donation package on my Z3 with Xposed and Boost mode activated. Apparently push notifiations are working fine in all my apps except on one of them, Facebook Messenger, anyone else is having issues with this one? Is there any way to fix push notifications on this app?

Facebook and its Messenger do not use Google Cloud Messaging (GCM), they implemented their own protocol (MQTT, as far as I remember). This way, you will loose push notifications of Facebook Messenger when you greenify it.

Reactions: Mr.Jay

Mr.Jay

Aug 7, 2012
Facebook and its Messenger do not use Google Cloud Messaging (GCM), they implemented their own protocol (MQTT, as far as I remember). This way, you will loose push notifications of Facebook Messenger when you greenify it.
Is there any workaround or fix to still receiving notifications as using Greenify?

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Is there any workaround or fix to still receiving notifications as using Greenify?

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Well, it's some kind of curse with Facebook Messenger. It drains battery pretty much, but if you can't go without push, you have to leave it degreenified and thus live with the drain.

Two thoughts about it:

You can use Tasker to set up some kind of self-made push notification delivery by periodically (once per hour) waking FB Messenger to receive push notifications. But the constant wake-up/hibernation will cause quite some drain by itself.

As an alternative you could use Disa Messenger with its Facebook plugin instead of FB Messenger and check if this reduces your drain.

I have uninstalled FB and FB Messenger a long time ago and use alternative solutions such as Facebook Lite, which are more battery-friendly.

Reactions: Mr.Jay

Mr.Jay

Aug 7, 2012
Well, it's some kind of curse with Facebook Messenger. It drains battery pretty much, but if you can't go without push, you have to leave it degreenified and thus live with the drain.

Two thoughts about it:

You can use Tasker to set up some kind of self-made push notification delivery by periodically (once per hour) waking FB Messenger to receive push notifications. But the constant wake-up/hibernation will cause quite some drain by itself.

As an alternative you could use Disa Messenger with its Facebook plugin instead of FB Messenger and check if this reduces your drain.

I have uninstalled FB and FB Messenger a long time ago and use alternative solutions such as Facebook Lite, which are more battery-friendly.

Ok, I will try with disa and if I don't like the results I'll have to install lite

Thank you!! ???

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Reksos007

Mar 28, 2016
I know this question is a bit out of this topic but cant find the right post for it so i have a question about greenify. I own samsung galaxy s5 neo andoird 6.0.1 and xposed freamowrk and donetion package. But even with all these things i cant cut off wake up path . Can anyone help me with this problem?

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
I know this question is a bit out of this topic but cant find the right post for it so i have a question about greenify. I own samsung galaxy s5 neo andoird 6.0.1 and xposed freamowrk and donetion package. But even with all these things i cant cut off wake up path . Can anyone help me with this problem?
What do you mean "can't cut off"?
What did you do and what happens? Some more details will help instead of "can't cut off".

Reksos007

Mar 28, 2016
Before i update to andorid 6.0.1 u could cut off wake up paths of apps. These little scissors

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

What did you do and what happens? Some more details will help instead of "can't cut off".

Before i update to andorid 6.0.1 u could cut off wake up paths of apps. These little scissors

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

for apps*

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

for apps*
I understand what is a cut off and the scissors symbol. I am using it and it is working.

I asked you what you meant by "can't cut off"? What actions you took and what happened?

Do you mean that when you click an app the scissors icon doesn't show up? Did you click or long press? Give us details.

Reksos007

Mar 28, 2016

I understand what is a cut off and the scissors symbol. I am using it and it is working.

I asked you what you meant by "can't cut off"? What actions you took and what happened?

Do you mean that when you click an app the scissors icon doesn't show up? Did you click or long press? Give us details.

I mean i cant cut it off. These sicssors dosent show up at all on my greenify app

Reksos007

Mar 28, 2016
The scissors will not show up for all apps, only when they are woken up by other apps etc.

Anyway, try the beta6 which has a specific setting for wake-up tracking.

Oh okey good to know ^_^ but then why on my samsung i have bluetooth share open all the time thought i almost never use bluetooth ? sane gies fir google play services but that one i guess is connected to my apps

TheNewbi3

Apr 17, 2015
Honor 6 H60-L04

EMUI 4.0

Root

Deep hibernation enabled

I can't receive notifications from Disa, Telegram and Wechat if i hibermate them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

通过我的 H60-L04 上的 Tapatalk发言

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Honor 6 H60-L04

EMUI 4.0

Root

Deep hibernation enabled

I can't receive notifications from Disa, Telegram and Wechat if i hibernate them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

通过我的 H60-L04 上的 Tapatalk发言

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCM wake-up is considered to be one of the most unreliable feature among the experimental features, thus still stuck as donation-only.
    There're many factors behind a working GCM push, and trouble with either may lead to the failure of the whole expectation.

Let's discuss the common misunderstandings first.

1. The GCM indicator in App Analyzer does not necessarily mean the app uses GCM for the very notification feature you are expecting.

The GCM indicator only means GCM-related code is in that app's package. But the app may use GCM only for some of its notifications, or only in some criterias, or even the worse, does not use at all. To find out the actual usage of GCM within an app, read the trouble shooting instructions below.

2. Not all notifications are backed by GCM push.

Most instant messaging apps and some social apps use hybrid implementation with GCM and persistent connection (in a background service) to deliver more reliable instant notification, than relying on GCM only. In this case, some of the notifications you have received may not even come from a GCM push.
    Hiberated apps lose its background service and thus fall-back to a GCM-only solution, effectively reducing the reliability of notification. If you noticed obvious delay or loss of some notifications after greenifying, it's probably the case.

3. The latency of GCM is affected by many factors, most notably how your carrier restrict the persistent connection.

The foundation implementation of GCM itself is also a persistent connection to Google's server. That means if your devices failed to keep this persistent connection, the latency of GCM is out of control. Carriers all over the world do restrict persistent connection to preserve their limited capability of signalling resources (not the bandwidth), by dropping connections idle for a while. GCM use periodic heartbeat packets to keep the persistent connection, but the default interval of 28 minutes for mobile network is far beyond the connection dropping threshold of some carriers (varying from minutes to hours), causing the persistent connection to drop frequently. As a result, GCM push may delay in minutes, or even half an hour. There's also a few carriers in the world even block the connections to Google's server in most time(China for example), causing GCM totally out of work.

To reduce latency caused by carrier restriction on persistent connection, try "Push Notification Fixer".

Now if you believe your app failed to wake up by a GCM push, follow these instructions to find the cause:

1. Open and monitor the logcat (Android log system), either on a USB-connected computer, or on your device with tool app like CatLog.

2. Set the filter to only include keyword (or tag) "GCM".

3. Let's trigger an expected GCM push (by sending an instant message from another device or so). You will soon read a line like this in logcat upon the arrival of GCM push:
    Code:
    I/GCM﹕ GCM message com.joaomgcd.autoremote 0:1426418730738334%0#02db4288f9fd7ecd
    This means Google Play services received the GCM message from Google's server and ready to deliver it to the corresponding app (indicated by the package name in the line, com.joaomgcd.autoremote in the example). If you cannot find this line in a reasonable time span, then it may be that app which lose the registion to GCM. Try logout and login your account, or clear the data of the app, or even uninstall and re-install it to restore its registration to GCM.

In all good situation, you should now receive the notification. If not, read on.

4. If the target app is hibernated before the arrive of GCM push and you have activated "GCM Wake-up" feature, then open Greenify ASAP (since it may hibernate again in a few minutes).

You will probably find that app is awake and listed in the "WILL HIBERNATE..." section. In this case, Greenify had managed to wake up the hibernated app and deliver the GCM message to it, but that app may failed to process it correctly and show a notification. This does happen to some apps which can't deal with GCM message upon wake-up. Try trigger another GCM push manually, if the notification shows up this time, that app falls into this category. It's hard to blame the developers for that, since they may not prepare for the arrival of GCM push when their background service is not running. So I'm still trying to figure out a better solution to make "GCM Wake-up" compatible with these apps.

5. If the app still stays hibernated, then the wake-up attempt might fail.

Back to the logcat, you probably read another line like this:
    Code:
    W/GCM-DMM﹕ broadcast intent callback: result=CANCELLED forIntent { act=com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE pkg=com.joaomgcd.autoremote (has extras) }
    It means the push is not delivered successfully. If you did activated "GCM Wake-up" but still read this line, then it may be Greenify's fault, except if you have disabled the notification of that app in system Settings - Apps - That App - Show notifications (unticked). Greenify checks this setting before trying to wake-up an app to deliver GCM push.

Note: As a reference, try "AutoRemoteLite" with its web interface to trigger GCM push.
    Device:Xperia ZR C5502
    ROM:CM12 UNOFFICIAL by @xenius9 Link:https://yadi.sk/d/dTadZHj_fCZKN
    Greenify Donation Version 2.6 beta 6
    Boost Mode
    Deep Hibernation enabled.
    Logs attached

Tapped from my furious ZR ;)
    What do the following intents do .. how could I use them from Llama/Tasker ?
    Broadcast:
    com.oasisfeng.greenify.intent.action.Hibernate
    com.twofourtyfouram.locale.intent.FIRE_SETTING

WakeupObserver:
    com.oasisfeng.greenify.action.APP_WAKEUP
    com.oasisfeng.greenify..ACTION.APP_WAKEUP
    You may have a problem. But that doesn't give you a license to post it all over the place. I have already read three different sub threads where you have posted the same thing.
    Stop it and observe some etiquette.

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Two thoughts about it: