Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Bump for those suffering through an old recovery

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pklunavat

Jan 28, 2013
NJ
once DemKantor gave me a personal assist, your work here wound up running flawlessly (Eloar). cannot tell you how grateful i am for this community. desperately wish i could do more to help around. thanks!

Last edited:

Martinezz123

Apr 7, 2011
You people get me nuts with your instructions!!
Where the hell is the CMD?????
My Fastboot has only:
-BOOTLOADER
-REBOOT
-REBOOT BOOTLOADER
-POWER DOWN

How do I enter the command line in the BOOTLOADER???
Or you assume people read your minds or I've got the phone from Alpha Centauri.

I've also tried the method with placing PC10IMG.zip on sd card.
I've used the newest 4ext from the link in the first post.
However it says "parsing PC10IMG.zip" when I get to Fastboot and I still have the "ClockWorkMod Recovery 5.0.2.7"
Nothing changes.

nbsp

Apr 5, 2007
4EXT Recovery Updater can be downloaded from here, which will allow you to download and install the recovery image:
http://4ext.net/

I am attaching 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.6_RC3 and RC2 for HTC Desire Z, downloaded through the updater app above.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.6_RC3_Vision.zip
    7 MB · Views: 13
  • 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.6_RC2_Vision.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This seems to keep coming up so for those of you who can't find the fix, please don't create new threads or post all over the developers forum

The most likely reason you can not flash 4.4.x and newer ROMs:

You have an old recovery
    why would this matter?
    Basically the way permissions are handled in the updater-script (what tells your device how to flash the ROM) have changed
    and thus if you flash a newer ROM with an older recovery you will more than likely see a similar error to this:
    set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed

So how do I change recoveries?
    you need grab a flashable.zip of the new recovery and then flash it in current recovery
    or
    a better and safer way is to use fastboot to flash the new recovery
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    *note, change 'recovery.img' accordingly if this is not how the image is named
    two other quick notes:
    *you can just fix the updater-script yourself to be able to flash a new ROM in an old recovery, but really this is time consuming and poitless
    *another method to flash the recovery is to create a PC10IMG.zip and place on SDcard then boot to bootloader to flash, but more work than needed

Pick one of these recoveries
    4EXT Touch version 1.0.0.6_RC1
    View attachment recovery.img
    md5sum for 4ext: 689db0675c068f3513d3551940581ec0
    ClockWorkMod Recovery version 6.0.4.5
    View attachment CWMrecovery.img
    md5sum for CWM: 1AB75F2DD8CBE1C9FE4C79E237D98653
    TWRP recovery version 2.6.3.0
    View attachment TWRPrecovery.img
    md5sum for TWRP: 1F300E620CD78829D440E52C291F909F

Which recovery to use? 4ext is problem free, the other two have slight issues but all should be fine for the most part

Need further assistance? ask here or
    for more info on how to use fastboot SEE HERE
    for more info and help with your device SEE HERE

Thank you all for helping keep our threads clean and easy to search through, as always feel free to ask questions!
    Happy Flashing!
    For fastboot commend we need : eng hboot OR unlocked hboot from the htc website (limited commend, but enough for flash a recovery).

So , if some DZ user were too lazy like me , and didn't flash the eng Hboot, but did all the other steps from the wiki to get the root (including s-off), and won't to go through the wiki again, just use the demkantor PC10IMG file from post #30 here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1728208&page=3

It work for me. Downside : current rom will bootloop. Can't do restore CWM from 4ext. only fresh install.
    You probably have a shipped bootloader, boot into your hboot and write down everything from that screen here

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    So everything from my HBOOT:

Code:
    VISION PVT SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT 0.85.0005
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-26.13.04.19_M
    eMMC-boot
    Oct 11 2010,20:10:38

1.> Put the "PC10IMG.zip" into "C:\" drive..(u can put it into any other directory)...
    2.> Now restart your phone into fastboot mode...
    3.> Plug your USB from PC to Mobile..(now it should say "FASTBOOT USB" in red text in Mobile)..
    4.> Now open CMD...and type "fastboot oem rebootRUU"
    5.> You should now be on the black screen with the HTC logo so now type "fastboot flash zip c:\PC10IMG.zip"...
    (NOTE:If you get a message saying 'Failed, repeat immediately'.......just re-run "fastboot flash zip PC10IMG.zip")

Now you should see a green status bar on the black screen
    And You are done!.....
    Until you have an engineering bootloader most fastboot commands are unavailable. Grab the .zip from post 30 in that link and follow the directions there.
    Alex was having a similar issue to yours earlier but he couldn't get the PC10IMG.zip to work on his SD card so he used the rebootRUU method, which could also work for you. I would advise to understand both methods as they can be helpful to learn down the road
    To answer your question directly, you must use the .zip, .imgs will not work with either method

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app