1,309 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,895

By toastcfh, Retired Senior Recognized Developer on 28th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
4th June 2010, 09:22 PM |#581  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
lil help
I am curious to if anyone has used the root to enable the WiFi hotspot? If so, can u please give me a step by how u did so? Thanks in advance.

4th June 2010, 09:25 PM |#582  
Thanks Meter: 273

More
Fyi. Even with root and using the updated sprint ruu with super user i still got the official update option on reboot. Naturally I declined it until i knew for sure.
4th June 2010, 09:27 PM |#583  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
i hope this isnt a stupid question as i am very new to android, but i followed all instructions and flashed the rom and recovery and also performed a nandroid backup, but i am not shown as a superuser. am i supposed to be? i ask because i believe i need to be to remove the useless sprint apps and such. also i am trying to move a ringtone from my storage card to the system/media/notifications folder and it will not allow me to.
4th June 2010, 09:47 PM |#584  
Flag Peekskill, NY
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Can i push the recovey image from the phone?
One of my good friends just ordered the evo. he does not have a computer handy and this is my work computer so i cant set up adb on here. is there a way to push amon's recovery directly from the phone. Through terminal emulator.
4th June 2010, 09:47 PM |#585  
Flag Tinley Park IL
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
So a few questions that everyone else has asked...

With any update we are able to still preform root correct?

How can we get free tethering and hot spot going as well?

Also I'm looking forward to a nooby guide. (I'm new to rooting with android, looks simple enough though, but recovery, never herd of it lol) Former WM modder lost in the android field.

Thank you,
Sean
4th June 2010, 09:53 PM |#586  

More
Just wanted to drop a line that I just successfully followed the tutorial and rooted my EVO after picking it up today. There were a few headscratcher moments because I didn't have a perfect step by step tutorial, but I got everything working in the end and Im running flipz rooted stock at the moment. Looking for Froyo but havent found it yet =-(. Thanks for all your hard work!
4th June 2010, 09:54 PM |#587  
Flag Brighton, MI

More
Sorry for the noob question, but how do i know if I have successfully rooted my evo. I followed the instructions, but I don't have a superuser icon or anything like that? It installed and rebooted and reset, but nothing seems to have changed. Do i have to install a custom rom to see the benefits of root? If so, i might wait until someone has a custom rom with the benefits of the new ota.
4th June 2010, 10:05 PM |#588  
Thanks Meter: 273

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMac

Sorry for the noob question, but how do i know if I have successfully rooted my evo. I followed the instructions, but I don't have a superuser icon or anything like that? It installed and rebooted and reset, but nothing seems to have changed. Do i have to install a custom rom to see the benefits of root? If so, i might wait until someone has a custom rom with the benefits of the new ota.

You have to install the custom base rom to have super user inside of android. I'll find the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=693980
4th June 2010, 10:20 PM |#589  

More
Ok, Rooted ROM in 20 steps:

This is summarizing the steps from another xda thread (cant link as i am a new member) into a failsafe rooting procedure for me on VISTA:

1 Get the files on the link provided. Now copy over PC36IMG.zip to your sdcard on your EVO
2 Turn your Phone off
3 Hold VOL DOWN and continue holdint while turning the phone on. When the white screen comes on you can let go.
4 The phone will check the .zip file and run automatically. At two points it will ask for user input. Say yes both times by pressing VOL UP as directed on the screen.
5 Saying YES the second time will reboot your phone. Yay you're rooted. But you won't have superuser access with this rom. Therefore:
6 As soon as you are able after booting change the name of PC36IMG.zip to something else. Developers suggest "root-PC36IMG." Which is what I did (I renamed through mounting the disc drive via windows)
7 Now power your phone down and reboot holding volume down again. This time your phone will try to load something and fail (at least it did in my case)
8 It will provide you with options. Use the volume keys to navigate to "RECOVERY" and use the power button to accept
9 Your phone will display "HTC EVO 4G" then turn to a black screen with an exclaimation point in a triangle.
10 Connect your phone to your computer. In the evo-recovery files you downloaded, run recovery-windows.bat as administrator (by right clicking and choosing the option)
11 A command prompt will pop up and stream files to your phone. This in turn will enable options on your phone.
12 go to backup/restore using the same navigating you have been.
13 Choose nand backup and then confirm. This backs up your NAND in case you EFF things up. It will be stored in a folder on your SD card as NANDROID. be sure to keep a copy safe somewhere.
14 when its done return to the main system recovery menu and enable "USB-MS" which will mount your SD card. Copy over your Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip courtesy of Flipz to the root of your SD and then untoggle "USB-MS"
15 Now navigate to "Wipe" in the recovery menu
16 navigate to 'Wipe data/factory reset" and confirm the selection
17 navigate to "Davlik-cashe" and wipe that as well
18 return to recovery main menu and choose "flash zip from sdcard"
19 Choose Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip or the rooted rom of your choice and let it install. Choose to reboot your phone. (IF YOU SKIP STEPS 16 AND 17 YOU WILL BE STUCK IN AN INFINITE BOOT AFTER INSTALLING THE ROOTED ROM. This can be remedied by returning to recovery mode (after pulling your batery to stop the loop) and following steps 16 and 17)
20. Superuser access is now available.

Hope that helps
4th June 2010, 10:25 PM |#590  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
it keeps telling invalid image or rom when i hold vol down and power runs its little check the nothing

with adb i have nothing listed i did with my hero ?
4th June 2010, 10:29 PM |#591  

More
Is there a way to do this using mac osx
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread