[Recovery][H830] Team Win Recovery Project for the LG G5

Search This thread

TheLogicalGamer

Nov 14, 2015
Knoxville
Good for jcase. He can really help LG maybe land govt contracts etc. Ya sucks for us but I'm happy for him. (it is a job, right?)

I see us only using HTC to root in the future

Sent from my LG-H830 using XDA-Developers mobile app
It's not like he was working for LG beforehand. I'm sure he has a day job. In the tweet he said he's doing it because of the community. Is has nothing to with a job, and everything to do with spite. Just my opinion.

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
It's not like he was working for LG beforehand. I'm sure he has a day job. In the tweet he said he's doing it because of the community. Is has nothing to with a job, and everything to do with spite. Just my opinion.

I don't know man, that's a lot of work to do for free.

And I agree with the other post , the ONLY reason I am using android is for root. If they all get locked down, I will just get an iPhone and be done with it. Sad

Reactions: tomat02234

KillerofJoy

Jul 27, 2013
Louisville
Just used Eliminater74's latest method to root my girls V10 on MM.. Worked great.. His method was easy maybe throw our files his way and get him to make us a tot.. See if that will work.. He used com 5 when flashing.. Added supersu after flashing by flashable zip. Props to Mark Bernece for the heads up on the help finding the right thread and method..

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Just pm'd him with a request to make us a tot if we provide all the resources he would need.. So If someone would gather me up a quick .zip of what we have all together I will provide it to him and see if we can obtain his help..

Last edited:

arjuna_

Aug 6, 2010
Just a quick heads up.. I ended up with a brick after many attempts to generate a TOT with tungkick.. Phone just wouldn't flash anything that was custom and he tried an alternative approach that wasn't yet finished which ended with the dreaded qualcomm 9008 device. You guys can send Eliminator the links I provided earlier (I think they are in this thread somewhere) as that's all I have to go with. See if he's able to work with that. I need to get my phone warrantied so that I can get a new one. Hopefully they don't reject it lol

Josh McGrath

Jan 16, 2013
OnePlus 9
Just a quick heads up.. I ended up with a brick after many attempts to generate a TOT with tungkick.. Phone just wouldn't flash anything that was custom and he tried an alternative approach that wasn't yet finished which ended with the dreaded qualcomm 9008 device. You guys can send Eliminator the links I provided earlier (I think they are in this thread somewhere) as that's all I have to go with. See if he's able to work with that. I need to get my phone warrantied so that I can get a new one. Hopefully they don't reject it lol
It's actually fixable, or least was with older lgs. I can't remember the thread.

So tunglck added the twrp into the tot? Flashed with lgup? Just trying to get some info. And don't worry, T-Mobile won't reject it. They refurbish Co employees make 8 bucks an hour and either won't care or too stupid to know. Besides, with their master flash tools, they will get it fixed and sent out again as a refurb .

Absolutely sure that every file was correct on the tot?

Reactions: tomat02234

schwartz.matthew.e

Sep 17, 2013
That's not good... While I respect jCase for all he has done for the community (which I have been able to see in a very short period of time.) I have never been for the punish the masses for sins of others. There are still great people here on xda. The mojority of this thread itself proves that. To attack the entire LG community. At such a critical time as this? When phones are being locked down left, right, and center? I remember the joy of getting my g3 home the day after I got it. Sitting down and learning about custom recoveries. All the cool amazing things we could do with our phones. With just a little time, and patience. Looking back I remember what an amazing experience it was. I got the phone with my first paycheck, from my first job. I was so happy to be able to explore this new community, and machine. Knowing immediately that was only because of people with more knowledge of these things then I had. It also gave me hope that I could learn, and be able to help give back to this great place we call xda. As well as help keep our devices free. I know a lot of us have different reasons to root, and flash custom roms. For me it's making my device unique in anyway I can. From Xposed tweaks to themes, and anything inbetween. It doesn't seem fair to me. To punish hard working people who are patient, and understand (at least to some extent) the headache of development. I had to pawn my ps4 to get my g5. I had a choice to make one love, or another. This may sound ridiculously cheesy, however I felt it needed to be said. Many thanks to you all.

I agree. Many people here act like toddlers, including the "experienced" devs. I'm not disregarding their work whatsoever as it is amazing and most of it has usually been for not much m money. My point is that I manage hundreds of people on a daily basis and if I acted the way that most people do around here, my business would fail. While the developers give back a ton, they are also lucky they have a community to act like such adolescents within. I'm sure I'll get hate messages about this...but again, that's what adolescents do instead of just admitting that the bickering is stupid. *just saying*

FYI, I'm NOT trying to start a long topic of replies to then cause issues in the thread. If you have some hate to say to me, just PM me and I promise, I'll delete it right away ;).

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

TheLogicalGamer

Nov 14, 2015
Knoxville
So could I just pack all the files in a zip on my phone with solid explorer and email it, or send it to him somehow? At least if someone hasn't done it yet already.

arjuna_

Aug 6, 2010
It's actually fixable, or least was with older lgs. I can't remember the thread.

So tunglck added the twrp into the tot? Flashed with lgup? Just trying to get some info. And don't worry, T-Mobile won't reject it. They refurbish Co employees make 8 bucks an hour and either won't care or too stupid to know. Besides, with their master flash tools, they will get it fixed and sent out again as a refurb .

Absolutely sure that every file was correct on the tot?

I'm not absolutely sure about that. But basically he was using the LG 2-3g tool with a remote USB card to verify his z3x box. That successfully created a TOT file similar to the one I had previously but he was unsuccessful in getting the phone to flash his twrp version of a TOT. He then tried using the octopus box and that was successful in reading the device also but when he tried to flash the stock .oct file it created the phone bricked at the very end after what looked like a successful flash.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

So could I just pack all the files in a zip on my phone with solid explorer and email it, or send it to him somehow? At least if someone hasn't done it yet already.

I don't think that's how it works unfortunately cause you won't be able to pack other partitions besides the sdcard right?

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Sorry if you're referring to the TOT files then I would just send him the links and he can download himself I guess

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

And btw hearing the news that jcase is handing over some or all his security knowledge to LG is a very sad turn of events for us G5 enthusiasts. He is doing a ostensibly good thing by increasing security but it really hurts the people that understand those same security risks more as we are usually the ones in touch with our phone the most. Now we have to depend on Team Codefire even more because it seems like we could potentially be on a time crunch to get root otherwise all the holes that anyone knows about might be patched really fast. I can't believe we angered him that badly.

arjuna_

Aug 6, 2010
Also I think we are getting to a point of us being limited with our knowledge and expertise. We need the big time devs in order to crack this. They are working hard whenever they can I'm sure so I think we should all try our hand at more patience and have faith in those guys. Let's not try to get more devs against us haha.. Patience is tough for us that like to be on the bleeding edge all the time but otherwise we might have more bricked devices so let's all try to avoid that!

Reactions: Jarritos

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome
Also I think we are getting to a point of us being limited with our knowledge and expertise. We need the big time devs in order to crack this. They are working hard whenever they can I'm sure so I think we should all try our hand at more patience and have faith in those guys. Let's not try to get more devs against us haha.. Patience is tough for us that like to be on the bleeding edge all the time but otherwise we might have more bricked devices so let's all try to avoid that!

these are your best and wise words :good:

Shadow12347

Oct 26, 2011

Agreed. We should never flame the devs because they are doing so much hard work for us when don't we do anything other than consume what they work on, and then some even complain about how long it takes them. It's as if some of us think they are entitled to have root. They do this because they understand how to crack these devices, and are doing a service to the community for little to no money, and then get nasty people in reply.... Give them the respect that they deserve, because they earned it through hard work, while we just sit back and wait for people hand it out to us. Sorry for being harsh, but that's simply how it is. I don't want to be like that anymore, and I want to actually contribute to XDA to further the root community, because as someone mentioned earlier, if we don't have root anymore for our Android devices, most of us would rather just get an iPhone and cry in a corner lol. I want to learn how to do the things that jcase and the other developers do so that I can further the community, but I do not know where to start. Is there anyone here, such as another dev, that can point me in the right direction to start learning all this? Pm me if so. I already am in computer science at my college and have some programming knowledge, in C/C++, Python, and x86 Assembly and want to learn how to apply what I already know, or what else I need to know to get going as a dev.

nathanchance

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
Thread cleaned.

At this point, a moderator has been into this thread four times in the past two weeks to clean up off topic or flaming/bickering between users. This must stop. You are on a development site with a goal/topic in mind; stick to it. If you see an issue, report it and move along, as participation will cause you to get in trouble as well. Any further issues in this thread will incur immediate punishment.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Nathan
Forum Moderator

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Just to be clear.. Eliminater74 did not make the MM Root .tot for the V10 tungkick made it. He just used Eliminater74s Rom to create the .tot
tungkick made 4 different .tot files to get it right.

You should start with an Unlocked bootloader before attempting to flash any of tungkicks .tot files because if the recovery is replaced in it then it won't stick and will cause a bootloop...and have a way to go back to stock if any of them dont work. He does not own any of the devices so being able to save your device is necessary.

I have both G5 & V10 and read both forums.

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome
This.

Most people here have been blaming each other for "pissing off the devs" or whatever else you want to blame them for, but here's the real deal:

A dev (jcase) released an unfinished tool, gave little to no info on how to use it, and then took it down without giving any explanation.
Then another user reuploaded it, which INCLUDED a warning starting the tool might brick your phone. Jcase got pissed, sold his G5, and decided the punish the LG community for one user's mistake.
Team Codefire has a root method that works, and released a video proving this. However they have released little to no information on their progress or anything else, thus causing arguments within the community.
APPARENTLY (internet rumors, am I right?) someone tried to sell the original tool that Jcase made, which pissed him off even further, causing him to make it his goal to ruin any chance of root for the G5. He also stated multiple times that he was "done with the LG community" yet in reality he never left. All he ever did was give us a bad tool and misleading hopes.
Now Jcase has publicly stated that he is intending to punish the G5 community. His exact words are "Got an LG contact now, Operation make LG secure is underway, direct response to the community **** heads pissing me off." (https://twitter.com/jcase/status/733978845838086145)

Guys, this has not been our faults. This is all because some HTC developers saw an opportunity to get even more popular, got pissed when the tool they released didn't work, and now have basically tried to turn us all on each other because they can't root our phone.

We need to stop this dictatorship of only having one or two devs who help us. We need to start helping each other and learn as much as we can so that WE can be the developers. This site is called XDA Developers and not XDA Developer for a reason. This is OUR site, not theirs, so let's start acting like it and keep trying everything we can to root this device.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please PM me.
Keep coding everyone ;)

your words are all correct and true
except

Team Codefire side. Team Codefire are always been on side of us and they always truely loved LG devices and develop on LG Scene.

When Team Codefire release something, LG it takes benefits because they sell a lot more of devices around the world.

If they still don't release nothing is because is not still safe flash something eta on your device and i'm sure you don't want stay on 9008 error like me until last week when i have sent device to LG ...

So : Team Codefire is with us ! Go Codefire !

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfu11

KillerofJoy

Jul 27, 2013
Louisville
Unaware of all the drama..

You are absolutely correct. When I talked about team Codefire I meant no disrespect, just trying to proof the point that even though some developers have root doesn't mean that we should all just sit on our butts waiting around for them to release it
Wow.. Their is alot of **** happen her I had no clue about.. I actually did figure out the Elimater74 and tot deal.. Seems I was in the middle of 2 threads and a mess of what procedure to follow when flashing his rom. I have been trying to unlock my G5 since I got it.. I have used every one click and old methods I've used on other phones. Seems the bootloader is the first step. The tot then su.. So any misrepresentations of my fly by night knowledge is in no way meant to be disrespectful.. Just been learning and solving my own little problems along the way. If however you become offended by my actions do not take it out on other just let me know.. Sensitive group we have here. Jcase had a right to be pissed but going above and beyond to make others suffer seems a bit harsh. Codefire where you boys at cause I am probably not going to learn this stuff fast enough to crack ****. Although I have been learning quite a bit about bootloaders and how they work on my own the tools to crack em are readily available already. Any linux distro will work. I however have been using Kali.. A good read from here and any other source available with the right Intel could lead you in the right direction within minutes but their is a learning curve when it comes to encryption.. This is where you end up with a bootloader and this is where a specialty class of learning is needed. Takes time and depending on research up to years to learn. I have meet some talented people who are barely 20 with massive skillz but they started doing this stuff at 8 yrs of age.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.0.2

WARNING: The stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications!
    SOLUTION: Flash a root such as SuperSU or phh-superuser. You can also flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip.

NOTICE: The LG G5 H830 currently has flashing locked!
    You will need to use a tool to get around this limitation. At the moment, Team Win nor myself cannot provide anything for this.
    The community, and user @tungkick has however provided an alternative method of flashing, which can be done via a full firmware flash using a TOT file.
    See here for instructions: http://xdaforums.com/tmobile-lg-g5/development/root-h830-t3384526

A message to those with other variants of the G5:
    Should there be a time where your flashing mechanisms get cracked, simply mention my name on this thread or via private message and I would be happy to create a thread with TWRP for your device.
    I have device trees ready for ALL variants of the G5, pending their unlock!

WHAT IS TWRP?

Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
    In case you're serious, though...

Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
    It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.

DOWNLOAD

You can find the device page here:
    https://twrp.me/devices/lgg5h830.html

CHANGES
    • v3.0.2-0 - See here for the changes.

FEATURES
    • MTP support
    • USB Mass Storage support
    • Micro SDcard and USB OTG storage support
    • f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
    • exFAT file system support (read, write, format)
    • NTFS file system support (read, write)
    • ADB root
    • Full SELinux support
    • Built in android 6.0 tree

KNOWN ISSUES
    • LG encryption is not supported yet in TWRP 3. Your device will hang for a while when trying to enter a password. Skip it.

CONTACT & SUPPORT

You can find us on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
    You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.

SOURCE CODE

Device tree: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h850 (International)
    Device tree: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h830 (T-Mobile)
    Kernel sources: https://github.com/jcadduono/nethunter_kernel_g5/tree/twrp-6.0 (recommend using stock-6.0 branch for your custom kernels!)
    TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery

CONTRIBUTIONS

Gerrit for TWRP: http://gerrit.omnirom.org/
    Gerrit for officially supported devices: http://gerrit.twrp.me/

XDA:DevDB Information
    Team Win Recovery Project - LG G5, Tool/Utility for the T-Mobile LG G5

Contributors
    jcadduono, The Team Win Recovery Project team
    Source Code: https://github.com/jcadduono/android_device_lge_h830

Version Information

Created 2016-04-01
    Last Updated 2016-05-23
    Thread re opened...

I just want to make one thing clear

Flaming/Trolling a Senior Recognized Developer who has done so much for this community is NOT how you go about getting more development accomplished.

Please everyone, be kind to each other....respect those who have done much for this community, its very simple. Furthermore, you never know who the next great developer is going to be, so all users/developers/hackers should be treated with respect.

This thread is now on our radar, please do not give us another reason to come in here and clean.

Thanks,

Baja
    Good news I was able to put twrp into the tot and it installed 100% once it rebooted it reinstalled the factory recovery.
    So there's still some tinkering to be done but making progress.
    Unless jcase somehow got it directly from LG, it's attainable somehow. I wonder if we could get him to share an unmodified aboot and let us work out the rest? Maybe a hint or two on writing to recovery while he's here ;)

I got no files from anywhere, didn't need them for root. I will be in miami beach for a few days, I can dump recovery and boot from a device if someone wants to bring one up there today or on the 9th.
    Yes man,

I'm the same that always has worked for all LG community.

And you are the same that on G4 irc channel last year pm'ed me to have G4 unlock.bin file.....

Shame of you man

An unlock bin that anyone with the ohone could have given me. A worthless file at that.. You then proceeded to continue to garass me for years, to the point i sold my flex.

You harass devs until they stop, then you insult inspiring developers.