EVO OTA is here

Search This thread

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
But does that retain the update fix for the sdcard?

see im WAY confused now... maybe someone posted wrong info...

i do HTC software update,,, guess what
"Your Phone is up to date"
"there are no updates available for your phone...
yea... no way in hell does it kill root... confirmed

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
um i tested... OTA applied... Rooted, recovery, NAND backup... it all worked...USB debugging Enabled on plugin. Installed 64bit ADB drivers and boom!

no problem to fear the root loss

um crap... nvm apparently i didnt update...
i swear I downloaded, installed, restarted the phone to allow install... but it shows software number 1.32.651.1.
maybe because I did a factory reset? then that would mean that this update is rather a patch (ie like a cab fix)??
or did the update not apply?
It's because you rooted the phone. Both the Rom you flash when rooting as well as the one flipz posted based on the RUU are the original software version. Makes logical sense that once you root again the software will go back to the original version since thats what they are based on. At least we know that it works. They will more than likely just release an update zip for the patch or an all inclusive one.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
It's because you rooted the phone. Both the Rom you flash when rooting as well as the one flipz posted based on the RUU are the original software version. Makes logical sense that once you root again the software will go back to the original version since thats what they are based on. At least we know that it works. They will more than likely just release an update zip for the patch or an all inclusive one.

hehe i was thinking that right after i posted...

k so it must have been the OTA didnt apply right...

im telling you tho, I downloaded... installed immediately after radioshack... it rebooted the phone, went to the little green arrows showing it was updating, rebooted again... and then i got home and rooted

Cordy

Feb 2, 2008
hehe i was thinking that right after i posted...

k so it must have been the OTA didnt apply right...

im telling you tho, I downloaded... installed immediately after radioshack... it rebooted the phone, went to the little green arrows showing it was updating, rebooted again... and then i got home and rooted
lol, no what I'm saying is that you did apply the OTA but since you are still capable of flashing the root the software version is lower so thats why it shows up. The point is you proved the OTA doesn't break toast's method of root, but as is you are technically reverting to the original rom which is a lower software version. It will stay at that number unless you a. perform the OTA again or b. with root flash an update.zip that contains the patch. For good measure you can always try installing the OTA and then rooting again just to make sure! ;)

Aridon

May 14, 2007
Just wait a day or two and we'll have a new rom with root still preserved to flash. Its not worth losing root over this and what will most likely be a non issue in 48 hours.

dav1boy

May 23, 2009
PacNW
you can still root after the OTA update. what it will do is take you back to the old .1 firmware with root access...

xuser

Jan 18, 2007
San Diego
Word of HTC Evo 4G storage bug couldn't come at a worse time

"Update: Well, that was quick. Dre wrote in to tell us of a 13MB OTA update being pushed already, version 1.32.651.6, that looks to include a number of fixes including, apparently, a solution for this storage bug. We're hearing it also breaks the root path that dropped yesterday, but it sounds like a decent trade-off for now."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/word-of-htc-evo-4g-storage-bug-couldnt-come-at-a-worse-time/

dav1boy

May 23, 2009
PacNW
Word of HTC Evo 4G storage bug couldn't come at a worse time

"Update: Well, that was quick. Dre wrote in to tell us of a 13MB OTA update being pushed already, version 1.32.651.6, that looks to include a number of fixes including, apparently, a solution for this storage bug. We're hearing it also breaks the root path that dropped yesterday, but it sounds like a decent trade-off for now."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/word-of-htc-evo-4g-storage-bug-couldnt-come-at-a-worse-time/

keywords: "we're hearing"

i did the OTA at radioshack this morning because i had the storage card issue.

and i just rooted by putting the .zip on my sd, went to recovery and did the update. it reverted the OTA .6 updated back to the original .1 firmwire with root access. on top of that i just installed the custom recovery image via adb.

diomark

Jan 24, 2007
For what it's worth.. I rooted mine, installed the supersonic stock rooted ROM on here, then did the OTA upgrade.. I still have root.
-mark

dav1boy

May 23, 2009
PacNW
For what it's worth.. I rooted mine, installed the supersonic stock rooted ROM on here, then did the OTA upgrade.. I still have root.
-mark

werd. thanx for the confirmation. it took me a good 2 hours to decide if i wanted to take the plunge or not because of all the "were hearing" stuff floating around. but i wanted to try out froyo and given my history with winmo and android, ive never bricked a device yet. so i went for it..

fyi, i did not have root access prior to rooting. i had the stock rom then the ota updated version. then i rooted.

adelaney

Dec 7, 2009
Olympia, WA
You know everyone said the same thing when the hero came out, and I went in and traded the device, only for one preloaded with 1.56, but was able to root anyway. Has anyone actually third with the update to root?

cail9970

Apr 3, 2010
I rooted mine, installed the supersonic stock rooted ROM, then did the OTA upgrade...
the software still .1 not .6 / and I still have the root

! I cannot apply the OTA to a rooted EVO