HTC One Has Corrupt EMMC and Locked Out of Recovery

Search This thread

jondon156

Jan 31, 2014
I have a Sprint HTC One running 4.2.2 (3.05.651.6) stock rom and TWRP recovery. It is unlocked and unrooted at the moment. It randomly took a nose dive the other day and has been stuck in either boot loop or bootloader/ fastboot usb. If I try to reboot, reboot-bootloader, factory reset, lock the bootloader, etc it boot loops on the white htc screen.

I have tried to flash the recovery again and erase cache with no luck. I've tried to flash a stock rooted rom using RUU and fastboot with no luck, it just boot loops.

I have had extensive help from @benny3 and we can't figure this out.

I found these links to be insightful and possibly a fix but to repair the EMMC if that is the issue, I first need to get my recovery up and running.

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2013/10/fix-data-htc-one.html
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49965919

Any ideas on how to do this since it seems that my recovery is corrupt because I can't get into despite flashing CWR and TWRP (I can't overwrite TWRP).
Any input is helpful as I has exhausted everything I can think of and nothing works.

Last edited:

pbassjunk

Apr 5, 2010
Nexus 7
Nexus 6
Does your computer see the One when it's in fastboot mode?

And if I understand properly..

fastboot oem lock

won't 'Relocked' your phone? When it white screen bootloops does it go to bootloader mode, or back into fastboot mode?

Whenever I've mucked something up beyond repair (you'll lose data)

fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache
fastboot format system
fastboot format sdcard
*fastboot format recovery* never tried this one, but if you have a botched recovery partition this could cause a problem
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem lock

have been my failsafes for getting things back to order (ie: reRUUing).

Probably unrelated and unnecessary (but for info completeness sake) what hboot are you on? If you are on Windows 8/8.1, 1.44/1.54 hboots don't work (1.55 does) and you'll need Windows 7 (or linux) to be able to talk in fastboot.

If you happen to be s-off,

fastboot oem rebootRUU

will let you bypass everything and go straight into RUU reflash mode.

Haven't heard of any irrecoverable emmc errors with the One yet, but I may just not have looked hard enough. First time I legit hardbricked my Sprint GS2 I ebay'd a jtag debugger to get things back.

Last edited:

jondon156

Jan 31, 2014

fastboot oem lock

won't 'Relocked' your phone? When it white screen bootloops does it go to bootloader mode, or back into fastboot mode?

fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache
fastboot format system
fastboot format sdcard
*fastboot format recovery* never tried this one, but if you have a botched recovery partition this could cause a problem
fastboot oem lock

Probably unrelated and unnecessary (but for info completeness sake) what hboot are you on? If you are on Windows 8/8.1, 1.44/1.54 hboots don't work (1.55 does) and you'll need Windows 7 (or linux) to be able to talk in fastboot.

fastboot oem rebootRUU

Haven't heard of any irrecoverable emmc errors with the One yet, but I may just not have looked hard enough. First time I legit hardbricked my Sprint GS2 I ebay'd a jtag debugger to get things back.

fastboot oem lock reboots my phone and goes into a boot loop. I have to manually get it back into bootloader. From there I can go back into fastboot

I'm running hboot 1.55. I have tried the above commands on Windows XP and Vista and MacOSX with the same results. Do you think Windows 7 will help? I can try my brother's computer.

And I'm s-on so i can't fastboot oem rebootRUU

And for the jtag debugger don't you have to tear the phone apart. HTC One can't be taken apart easily, it damages the casing

jondon156

Jan 31, 2014

fastboot oem lock

fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache
fastboot format system
fastboot format sdcard
fastboot oem lock

fastboot oem rebootRUU

If you can get to bootloader you should be able to RUU

when you say RUU do you mean using fastboot, cuz I actually tried that last night and it failed and went into a boot loop. I also tried using RUU on my computer with my phone initially in fastboot usb. When it rebooted into bootloader it went into a boot loop as well. I had to manually go into bootloader again and then the program failed

nick_fc

Jan 4, 2013
I have the same problem just with verizon htc one
can boot only to hboot
any other mode (recovery, factury reset, check crc, reboot RUU) unavailable. Phone just bootloops on white htc logo
can not unlock boot, verizon phones restricted on htc-dev site

smokin901

I have a Sprint HTC One running 4.2.2 (3.05.651.6) stock rom and TWRP recovery. It is unlocked and unrooted at the moment. It randomly took a nose dive the other day and has been stuck in either boot loop or bootloader/ fastboot usb. If I try to reboot, reboot-bootloader, factory reset, lock the bootloader, etc it boot loops on the white htc screen.

I have tried to flash the recovery again and erase cache with no luck. I've tried to flash a stock rooted rom using RUU and fastboot with no luck, it just boot loops.

I have had extensive help from @benny3 and we can't figure this out.

I found these links to be insightful and possibly a fix but to repair the EMMC if that is the issue, I first need to get my recovery up and running.

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2013/10/fix-data-htc-one.html
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49965919

Any ideas on how to do this since it seems that my recovery is corrupt because I can't get into despite flashing CWR and TWRP (I can't overwrite TWRP).
Any input is helpful as I has exhausted everything I can think of and nothing works.
try fastboot boot recovery.img

SS823

Aug 5, 2012
New York
Same issue

I have the same problem on my Verizon HTC One M8. I was wondering if you were able to get your phone up and running again. If so, what/how did you do it?
I actually can get into recovery - adb sideload will not work any wiping or formatting I does NOT in fact wipe anything. I've tried recovering nandroid(s) and installing ROMs but same boot loop.

Last edited:

davipaulo9

Aug 26, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm also having the same problem with my HTC mini. I'm pretty sure the emmc got corrupted.
I have tried everything that was out there.
Can't unlock, at least it doesn't show unlocked, but send code successfully that I got from htcdev.
Can't twrp, since I'm locked. Can't flash Rom.zip that I extracted from the ruu.
On Windows I get 171 error. I have the correct drivers and fasboot works . I'm s-on , so I tried higher version from stock image.
Has anyone fixed their emmc ? If so, how'd u do it?
Thanks guys and good luck to all

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
On Windows I get 171 error. I have the correct drivers and fasboot works . I'm s-on , so I tried higher version from stock image.
Have you tried what's in this thread?

Suggestions I came across while researching error 171 with an RUU:
1. You are using a USB 3 port. Switch to USB 2.
2. Install HTC sync and then uninstall it leaving the drivers
3. Try a different USB cable.
4. You're using the wrong RUU.

davipaulo9

Aug 26, 2016

I tried that before, fasboot sees the phone but adb does not .
I think the emmc might be bad. I got the right ruu. Took from HTC website . Can't unlock either

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I,tried all that, I got correct ruu from HTC site.
Using usb 2.0 fastboot sees the phone but adb does not .
I might have corrupted emmc

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

coal686

Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Maybe, but I've had that issue (where fastboot sees the phone and adb doesn't) and nothing was corrupt on the phone. It was a driver issue. But the ruu still worked for me.

davipaulo9

Aug 26, 2016
Maybe, but I've had that issue (where fastboot sees the phone and adb doesn't) and nothing was corrupt on the phone. It was a driver issue. But the ruu still worked for me.
I don't think it's a driver issue, but I'm not sure.
Fastboot sees the devices and in Windows also it's recognized on device manager . How can I check the emmc for errors and is it possible to repair?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

This is what I get running fastboot oem rebootruu

cmd18 polling stattus times out , MCI _status: 0x4C2000

coal686

Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
I don't think it's a driver issue, but I'm not sure.
Fastboot sees the devices and in Windows also it's recognized on device manager . How can I check the emmc for errors and is it possible to repair?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

This is what I get running fastboot oem rebootruu

cmd18 polling stattus times out , MCI _status: 0x4C2000

From what I'm reading, the partitions might be shot. What does "fastboot getvar all" say?

davipaulo9

Aug 26, 2016

Attachments

• IMAG2837.jpg
    IMAG2837.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 252

davipaulo9

Aug 26, 2016

Tried that, didn't work.
I'm using usb 2.0 uninstall HTC sync , got right ruu. Any other thoughts?