Patching OTA_Supersonic_1.32.651.6.zip to PC36IMG.zip

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Goal: Load the OTA_Supersonic_1.32.651.6-1.32.651.1_release.zip over the userdebug RUU PC36IMG.zip. Completely HTC stock updated package.

Background:
I'm sure some people will disagree with me. I really want a completely stock approach to staying on the userdebug RUU (official leak) with the official OTA update to .6 software and .05 radio. I'd rather not have to patch in custom ROMs but have a completely stock and updated system with userdebug root access in normal android mode and root access plus /system write access in recovery. Any and all help is appreciated! I'm still new to HTC's flashing/update process!

Current Method:
Flash Toast's PC36IMG.zip
Boots into normal android mode with software 1.32.651.1 and radio .04
HTC Software Update does not detect any available update.

I've patched the build.prop (attached at bottom) to state release-keys instead of test-keys.
reboot recovery - load toast's custom recovery
adb push c:\build.prop /sdcard/build.prop
adb shell
cp /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
Rebooted into normal android mode. This allowed the HTC Software Update to detect the OTA .zip.
It downloads and then verification of the downloaded OTA .zip fails.

Patched with otacerts.zip from stock 1.32.651.1 and verification of OTA .zip passes.
reboot recovery - load toast's custom recovery
adb push c:\otacerts.zip /sdcard/otacerts.zip
adb shell
cp /sdcard/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip
Reboot into normal android mode, run HTC Software Update, downloads and verification passes.
Select apply OTA .zip Now and it reboots. After it reboots and starts to apply the OTA .zip, it doesn't finish and reboots back to normal android mode w/o applying the OTA .zip.

I've gone through the OTA .zip file update-script and the first two commands check the build.prop for two values, which I've double checked exist in the build.prop I patched and applied.
Not sure what else is holding it back from applying the OTA .zip? As far as I can tell, it should be a release build, not a test build. What have I missed?
Thanks for any help!!

Files to Download:
Toast's PC36IMG.zip
OTA_Supersonic_1.32.651.6-1.32.651.1_release.zip
Patched build.prop
Patch otacerts.zip

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I'm confused. What will this get you that you don't get from Toast Root > Flash Flipz' 1.32.651.6 and radio?
OTA contains a total of 56 files which are all system patch files, radio and recovery updates, while flipz ROM 1.31.651.6 contains 978 files with a separate radio update.zip and does not update the recovery with the one from the OTA.

no offense to any of the developers. flipz 1.31.651.6 copies over the whole system directory (978 files) while the OTA only patches 56 specific system files which need to be patched leaving the rest of the system untouched including permissions.
the OTA also updates the radio and recovery while patching the 56 system files all in one clean boot using the stock recovery.

there shouldn't be any issues with 4G or any other system component when using the OTA which might arise from a mass replacement of the /system.

dchamero

May 15, 2010
OTA contains a total of 56 files which are all system patch files, radio and recovery updates, while flipz ROM 1.31.651.6 contains 978 files with a separate radio update.zip and does not update the recovery with the one from the OTA.

no offense to any of the developers. flipz 1.31.651.6 copies over the whole system directory (978 files) while the OTA only patches 56 specific system files which need to be patched leaving the rest of the system untouched including permissions.
the OTA also updates the radio and recovery while patching the 56 system files all in one clean boot using the stock recovery.

there shouldn't be any issues with 4G or any other system component when using the OTA which might arise from a mass replacement of the /system.

YES, exactly what I want.... I mean, it is great to have a full ROM, but why not an option to patch just some things without rewriting ALL the system files?????

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
YES, exactly what I want.... I mean, it is great to have a full ROM, but why not an option to patch just some things without rewriting ALL the system files?????
appreciate the support! in helping out some other users i discovered the PC36IMG.zip has all /system/app files deodex and the patch assumes users are running the release of software .1 which has many odex files.
i know a deodex system of software .6 is around the corner.
all the /system/app and /system/framework might have to be replaced to deal with the deodex/odex difference between PC36IMG.zip and release build, but that is still a lot less than replacing all 900+ system files.
this project keeps taking twists and turns so i'll keep the thread updated as i make progress!

jmglidden

Oct 30, 2008

Thanks for the explanation. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Here is the best I've been able to come up with and appreciate any other feedback or help!

The PC36IMG.zip has all files in /system/app and /system/framework already deodex but they are software version .1 software.

The OTA to .6 software and .05 radio update does three things:
1. updates files in /system to software version .6
2. updates radio to .05 version
3. updates recovery.img

1. The OTA .6 software update portion updates about 50+ files, to .6 software. All the 50+ files it updates except 5 of them are in /system/app and /system/framework but it applies to the odex version of these files. PC36IMG.zip only has the deodex version of these files. I can either manually pull these 50 files after after the OTA .6 is applied to the stock .01 software or use a Deodex version of these already updated .6 files?

2. radio update should be easy to duplicate with an update.zip

3. we aren't able to manually apply this recovery.img from the OTA because we don't have write access to recovery in our PC36IMG.zip. not sure there are any major updates to this anyway?

my goal is to update the PC36IMG.zip by making the bare minimum updates which come with OTA, not modifying or touching any other files outside of the OTA update! what does everybody think?

dchamero

May 15, 2010
my goal is to update the PC36IMG.zip by making the bare minimum updates which come with OTA, not modifying or touching any other files outside of the OTA update! what does everybody think?

I LOVE IT, and I hope you can do it, especially for future OTA updates.... I don't want to flash a new rom every time there is a little update to some system files