[APP] Raccoon v4.12 - An apk downloader for Google Play

Search This thread

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Sure, check out the source code for v3.6 and v3.7 from github. Compare the two versions and you'll find that they only differ in one GUI translation string and an added HTTP header when talking to Google (this is why I publish my source code: so everyone can audit!). In other words: you are getting a false positive from Trend Micro. Why you'd trust their software in the first place is beyond me. All AV products are snakeoil riding on the user's fear as their business model (and giving the occasional false positive has the nice psychological effect of giving the user the impression the snake oil actually does what it is suppose to do).

Thanks for the response :good:

I do indeed trust you and already guessed that it is a false positive. Nevertheless, I am forced to use the AV program at my work place (obviously), so I have to stick with v3.6 there as v3.7 gets blocked as soon as I open it. At home, I am able to use v3.7 without issues.

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
Thanks for the response :good:

I do indeed trust you and already guessed that it is a false positive. Nevertheless, I am forced to use the AV program at my work place (obviously), so I have to stick with v3.6 there as v3.7 gets blocked as soon as I open it. At home, I am able to use v3.7 without issues.

Ah, I see.

Sticking with v3.6 should be no problem. The only difference to v3.7 is that you are stuck with "legacy" accounts. Alternatively, you could also use the .jar version. The .exe is just a wrapper and i assume that is actually the part, Trend Micro mainly triggers on.

Reactions: Portgas D. Ace

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Ah, I see.

Sticking with v3.6 should be no problem. The only difference to v3.7 is that you are stuck with "legacy" accounts. Alternatively, you could also use the .jar version. The .exe is just a wrapper and i assume that is actually the part, Trend Micro mainly triggers on.

Using the .jar version works just fine :good: AV doesn't get triggered. Thanks for this little hint.

W

winter_bear

The search has performed poorly lately, for example search string "crossy road" (Crossy Road app has +50,000,000 install on Google Play; Disney Crossy Road +10,000,000) and "jetpack joyride" (Jetpack Joyride +100,000,000) don't return the applications. I also noticed this issue with Blank Store, I remember Raccoon's search working flawlessly.
I've read your article, the apps definitely aren't geo-blocked in my country. I don't believe the developers have excluded "Samsung smartphone" either.

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
The search has performed poorly lately, for example search string "crossy road" (Crossy Road app has +50,000,000 install on Google Play; Disney Crossy Road +10,000,000) and "jetpack joyride" (Jetpack Joyride +100,000,000) don't return the applications. I also noticed this issue with Blank Store, I remember Raccoon's search working flawlessly.
I've read your article, the apps definitely aren't geo-blocked in my country. I don't believe the developers have excluded "Samsung smartphone" either.

I seem to have no problems with those apps using Raccoon v3.7

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
On a related note: I'm also in the process of rewriting Dummydroid, a companion tool for spoofing arbitrary Android devices. Any artists around here willing to contribute an application icon (must be in SVG format and under a creative commons license)?

theyupp

Jun 12, 2016
3.7 did it

3.7 solved the problem her. Anything else (log in into play store directly...) didn't. Thank you.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
just for testing, made new Google account through the link on the raccoon release page.
it didn't require me to use phone verification this time, but it has the last two times previous.
turned on less secure apps in settings, two step verification defaults to off.
autogenerated gsf id, raccoon 3.6 had the expected bad credentials error on login. 3.7 worked just fine, also as expected. @onyxbits, what kind of graphic are you interested in for dummydroid? notwithstanding my 7 year old 8bit ms paint avatar I've got on all the forums i frequent, i can actually generate decent stuff when motivated.

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
just for testing, made new Google account through the link on the raccoon release page.
it didn't require me to use phone verification this time, but it has the last two times previous.
turned on less secure apps in settings, two step verification defaults to off.
autogenerated gsf id, raccoon 3.6 had the expected bad credentials error on login. 3.7 worked just fine, also as expected. @onyxbits, what kind of graphic are you interested in for dummydroid? notwithstanding my 7 year old 8bit ms paint avatar I've got on all the forums i frequent, i can actually generate decent stuff when motivated.

Yeah, the phone verification is temporary. Google seems to apply it to a whole subnet when one IP address in it goes over the account creation quota. Two days later or so they take it back as it costs them money and new users. Curious thing is: when you sign up with Android, you are spared the ordeal and potentially have to submit less personal information. So that's what I'm working on currently ;): Putting account creation in DummyDroid.

Raccoon v3.6 will always fail with new accounts, no matter what. I spoke a bit too soon there. After a bit more digging it looks like that when you signed up for an account previously, you'd implicitly accept the TOS of Play. That's no longer the case unless you sign up from the Play website directly. Actually, I think that's a good change.

As for the icon: pretty much something that can show in the taskbar and the window title (so it must scale from 16x16 to 64x64). I don't particularly care what it is, I just want to get rid of the default Java icon. Maybe some variation of the Android Robot?

nussbaum

Feb 18, 2011
Bielefeld
As for the icon: pretty much something that can show in the taskbar and the window title (so it must scale from 16x16 to 64x64). I don't particularly care what it is, I just want to get rid of the default Java icon. Maybe some variation of the Android Robot?

A crash test dummy's head? With those circular measuring markings...
Sorry i am no artist.

Sportfreunde

Oct 16, 2012
Is there any way to get Raccoon on an actual Android device itself? I find it a bit tedious to always have to manually check each separate app for an update then copy/paste it to the phone. Even automating that part would be great if it can't be done on the phone itself.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Is there any way to get Raccoon on an actual Android device itself? I find it a bit tedious to always have to manually check each separate app for an update then copy/paste it to the phone. Even automating that part would be great if it can't be done on the phone itself.
search back a page or three... i posted a little info on this
basically use a Linux chroot with oracle Java, plus vnc app or xserver-xsdl for gui.

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
Raccoon download app with one connection and my internet provider limit each connection to 50KBps, I want to copy app url to IDM(internet download manager) and download it with 8 connection in a time(multi part download with 400KBps) :D

Doesn't work that way, sorry. I'd also like to take this opportunity to voice my opinion on how download manager slow connection s. Don't use them.

Last edited:

MyResult

Mar 9, 2015
Doesn't work that way, sorry. I'd also like to take this opportunity to voice my opinion on how download manager slow connection s. Don't use them.

Thank's onyxbits for your answer and software. i think you're right about Download Managers but in my situation IDM will be good.
Today i download Raccoon source from github, import it to Eclipse and add necessary library for run it, but when build project, some errors occurred.
Now can i ask you some question about how to resolve this errors? :)

onyxbits

Dec 29, 2012
www.onyxbits.de
Thank's onyxbits for your answer and software. i think you're right about Download Managers but in my situation IDM will be good.
Today i download Raccoon source from github, import it to Eclipse and add necessary library for run it, but when build project, some errors occurred.
Now can i ask you some question about how to resolve this errors? :)

Sure

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APP] Raccoon v4.13 - An apk downloader for Google Play

Ever ran into one of these problems?
    • You want to check out an app, but your device is not officially supported.
    • After flashing a custom ROM, you no longer have Google Play available on your phone.
    • You updated an app, but the new version causes nothing but trouble and you want to go back to the previous version.
    • You are not satisfied with Google's privacy policy and would rather download apps without hooking your phone up to Google.
    • You want to check out apps without them cluttering up your "My Apps" list and potentially influencing app suggestions.
    • You don't have unlimited bandwidth at your disposal but want to install an app on multiple devices in your household.

Raccoon is a Google Play desktop client that will enable you to download APK files from Google Play and cache them locally on your desktop computer. You can maintain as many caches as you like (e.g. one per Google Account or one per device you own). Each cache is able to hold apps in multiple versions.

1MBGPHJ.png

Click here to download

Usage instructions:

1. Install Java (java.com)
    2. racoon.jar should now be executeable, start it like any other program
    3. Enter your loginname and password (prefererably from a throw away account).
    4. type "Onyxbits" into the textfield.
    5. You should now see a list of all my apps (yes, shameless plug, I know).
    6. Maybe download "List My Apps"
    7. you will get an APK file, transfer that to your phone by whatever means suit you (e.g. copy via USB cable).
    8. Enable "Unknown Sources" on your device to install the APK
    Teaser of the GUI for the upcoming v2.0 version. Thumbs up, thumbs down?

oxhnTC6.png
    Just calling in to announce, that Raccoon v4.0.1 is available now. It is a complete rewrite of the old application, adding many new features. Let me know how it handles!

Download url: http://raccoon.onyxbits.de
    K guys, new release. Changelog here. This is really all I can do for the moment. May it hold for now.