[APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 1/1)

Search This thread

doggiedaddy1

May 19, 2007
MMS on AT&T with Nokia Lumia 928

Using the 928 on ATT. Works well except MMS.
I get H+ Internet, and I understand that's the best I'll get since Verizon and ATT don't play we'll with others and use different LTE protocols.

I can sent MMS, but not receive. When an MMS is sent to me I get a "Message not found" text. Some MMS APN combos won't send or receive.

For Internet I'm using APN phone with everything else left blank.
For MMS APN I'm using APN phone, proxy port 8080, proxy address proxy.mobile.att.net, MMSC mmsc..mobile.att.net, network IPv4. Authentication none.

Suggestions?

codemonkey85

Apr 13, 2011
New Milford, CT
plus.google.com
I'm using an AT&T LG Optimus G (E970). I recently installed an Android 4.4 custom ROM built from AOSP. I have been unable to connect to AT&T's network. I have tried setting a new APN using the configuration posted on this thread, but after hitting Menu->Save the settings never actually save. What am I doing wrong?

callihn

Oct 14, 2012
What kind of speed should I be getting?

Samsung Infuse 4G I-997

I am on an ATT MVNO H2O Wireless.

My settings are the older Cingular settings.

Best I've received with the Speedtest.net app have been .50Mbs both ways.

Last edited:

eek88dj

Nov 9, 2010
Circleville, OH
Motorola Droid Ultra ATT sim

Name ATT phone
APN WAP.Cingular
Proxy not set
Port not set
Username wap@cingulargprs.com
Password CINGULAR1
server not set
MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 410
Authen type not set
Apn type not set
APN protocol IPv4
APN roaming protocol IPv4
Bearer unspecified
MNVO type none
I'm using this on my Droid Ultra it did work...is there another ATT APN setting will work I'm new at this i don't know which one to use...help if you can thanks.....

wilnotdie

Sep 11, 2009
I'm on the Galaxy S4 Active. Is there an APN I can use, that will keep me off LTE? LTE is crappy in my area.

magnetboard

May 20, 2011
You should ask that in the s4 active section, but, if you dial *#*#4636#*#*, select phone info and scroll down, change the radio settings to one that doesn't have LTE

Sent from my One Xl using xda premium

Reactions: wilnotdie

wilnotdie

Sep 11, 2009
You should ask that in the s4 active section, but, if you dial *#*#4636#*#*, select phone info and scroll down, change the radio settings to one that doesn't have LTE

Sent from my One Xl using xda premium

I actually did post it there, with no luck without rooting. Since the OP supports all AT&T devices, I figured I'd try here as well. I'm glad I did. Your solution worked, magnet! Thanks much!!! All the other codes I tried, were invalid, or were RAT Restricted.

Thanks again!

ggallardov

May 2, 2011
Delaware
I got a note 3 from Tmobile that im using now with AT&T with the APN provided in the first post.
I can confirm that data and internet speed its working pretty good but the MMS doesnt work, when I recieve a msj is a download link but its doesnt work either...
any ideas or help?
Regards

UnhoIy

Dec 9, 2012
I got a note 3 from Tmobile that im using now with AT&T with the APN provided in the first post.
I can confirm that data and internet speed its working pretty good but the MMS doesnt work, when I recieve a msj is a download link but its doesnt work either...
any ideas or help?
Regards

Isn't the Note 3 a 4G phone, not HSPA?

zamiv

Oct 24, 2007
My Galaxy S3 connected to my Microcell but would not send sms, and the AT&T Microcell did not display in the top left in the notification bar like it did before. In addition, in the settings\more\about\status info it would show up as an unknown Mobile network type, with service state NOT in service despite 5 bars showing. However, when I went into the APN settings and selected to reset to default, these issues seem to have disappeared. Now showing service state in service with type HSDPA for Network AT&T Microcell. Perhaps my APN settings got out of whack in one of the upgrades over the last year.

aelmer

Feb 8, 2016
Please help trying to set up Sony Xperia z5 on at&t's network

Hi, I'm trying to get either a Droid mini or Sony Xperia z5 compact to work on AT&T's network. I've typed in the apn settings using both the apn phone and the apn pta and neither work on either phone. I was able to use T-mobile with the Sony Xperia. The bands the Sony Xperia uses are
UMTS HSPA+: 850 (band V) 900 (band VIII), 1900 (band II), 2100 (band I) Mz
GSM GPRS EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
and LTE: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 28, 38, and 40
Sprint uses
2G Bands (GSM GPRS EDGE): 850, 1900 MHz
3G Bands (UMTS HSPA+): 850 MHz (CLR), 1900 MHz (PCS) [GSM HSPA+]
4G Bands (LTE): 2 (1900 MHz), 4 (1700/2100MHz), 29 (700 MHz), 30 (2300 MHz)

The sony overlaps on UMTS HSPA+ 850MHz, 1900MHz GSM GPRS/EDGE 850 & 1900MHz and LTE bands 2 & 4.

band specifications from xperia blog
I have phone model E5823, any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated. I may have a poor understanding of the bands. Thanks!

katcor

Jul 15, 2016
I do not have the options to include fota or hipri on my phone. It doesn't allow me to type. It has a list of the ones I can click on and add. Is there a way to change these settings that will allow me to type what I need?

statisticaldragon

Jun 30, 2018
picture mms to iphones

I have a galaxy note 5 (Verizon unlocked) with an ATT sim card. The apn from the second post enabled data and mms but i am unable to send pictures from my phone to any iphones. I can receive pictures from iphones but when i send one back they show up a macbinary files on the other device. Has anyone else had this problem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

As many of you know, APN switching can be a sporadic mess in AOSP roms. We've either had to deal with it or have a single APN at standard HSPA speeds. The following is a SINGLE APN solution that has been working after hours of trial and error and testing. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but please use this as a reference for future builds. So far so good.

APN: phone
    mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

After hours of testing on many ROM's, I feel like these are appropriate APN settings that everyone can use. I've gotten my best data speeds ever AND MMS to work without having to worry about APN switching. Thanks to all the testers! This has been officially moved to the development thread as a reference to AOSP and AT&T phone developers.

Disclaimer: May not work for everyone

45f3db1f-fdf3-9cbb.jpg

45f3db1f-fe02-74e1.jpg

Instructions for editing APN:
    1. Menu
    2. Settings
    3. Wireless and Networks
    4. Mobile Networks
    5. Access Point Names
    6. BACK UP EVERYTHING. Write it down, Screen capture, Do something! I am not responsible for you losing your settings.
    7. Individually delete ALL APN's
    8. Menu
    9. New APN
    10. Enter the above settings and make sure you hit menu>save when you're done!
    11. Select your newly created APN
    12. Reboot and enjoy!

Update 7-24: It has also come to my attention that port 8080 works. I am under the impression that it is higher security for sending MMS messages. Thanks!

Update 2 7-24: User xxxSuperserieSxxx has reported the following working from an AT&T Infuse to and from another AT&T phone. I need testers for this fix as well for MMS messages to users on OTHER carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc). Thanks guys.

I found out this one also working

APN: phone
    mms proxy: 66.209.11.32
    MMS port: 8080

Update 8-13: For One X users only! Try changing "APN" to pta and add "fota" to APN type. Then make a second APN with the above settings. pta is for LTE, but you need a fallback when you aren't in an LTE covered area I believe. If I had an LTE phone i could test this, but sadly I don't yet.

Update 8-17: I'm now supporting ANY AT&T device on this thread. If I don't already have it listed, I will find a setting that works for you and test it with anyone who needs me to do so and asks nicely.

Update 8-21: For Inspire 4G owners only! You may want to include "fota" and "admin" in APN Type, separated by commas. For example, yours would read something like: APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri,admin,fota.

Update 9-15: For AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 owners only! Use the following to achieve LTE speeds and mms functionality:
    APN: pta
    mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80

Update 1-1: It seems a though AT&T is switching to a unified APN for all phones. This is the "phone" APN in the OP. This should be the default for all newer AT&T phones, whether they are LTE or not. This includes the Nexus 4 as well. Try it! Bottom line: Use the APN in the pictures above.

Report feedback to this thread. I will try my best to answer when possible :)
    This is the old single APN HSPA method if the above settings are giving you difficulty. Data speeds are slower, but it seems to be old reliable.

APN: wap.cingular
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    mms proxy: 66.209.11.32
    mms port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410

45f3db1f-de7b-0745.jpg

45f3db1f-de8e-18ec.jpg
    Thanks. One other important point I'd like to make: the data plan for the SIM must be correct, preferably a 4G LTE plan even though the phone may only be a HSPA+ phone such as the Nexus 4. Having an LTE plan doesn't hurt anything and it is not more expensive. The reason I'm making this point is that I had a very hard time with my Nexus 4 phone. As you know the IMEI for the N4 is not recognized by the AT&T systems. I was able to call and ask them to put me on a 4G LTE plan but for whatever reason every few days my data plan would revert back to some Blackberry data plan that only worked with the "wap.cingular" APN, I could not get data with the "phone" or "pta" APNs. No matter what I tried, I could not get them to provision the data plan correctly to stick for more than a few days - I suspect they must be running some automated checks based on the IMEI on the accounts and change data plans automatically. I got fed up with it, went to a local AT&T store and took a photo of the IMEI of a demo LG Optimus G (and its APN settings which match those from the OP). Then I called AT&T and asked them to put the IMEI on my account and provision correctly for 4G LTE. That worked, they don't seem to check whether the IMEI is unique, from what I understand they only use it to provision the correct features. I figured the LG Optimus G is as close to the Nexus 4 as they come. I'm sure other IMEIs from LTE phones will work equally well. I'm not proud of having to do this, but after I struggled with it for over a month and after many phone calls with AT&T tech support, I got fed up with it. I hope it will stick now. It should be fun though when the demo phone gets shop lifted from the AT&T store and then AT&T knocks on my door to hand them the phone - I'll deal with this if/when it happens :)
    Congrats to the new Recognized Contributor - RC, well deserved. Thank You for your efforts to the XDA Community.
    If anyone has any suggestions as far as LTE goes, please let me know. I don't have an LTE phone to test this on. I've been messaged about an issue with this APN with an LTE phone and I can't exactly test it the way I want because all I have is my Infuse. :cool:

Well guys I spoke too soon. My Infuse decided it didnt want to turn on anymore with the battery inside of it (only with the cable) so I utilized my Best Buy buy back program and picked up a Galaxy S III for $19.50. Turns out my Infuse was worth $180. :eek: It looks like I can officially support and test LTE now. :p I sure am going to miss this family and all the progress we've made. I've had the phone since day one. Regardless I am still maintaining this thread. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app