FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[STABLE][2016.07.05] SuperSU v2.76 [CLOSED]

11,416 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,039

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 9th March 2012, 09:20 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
17th July 2016, 04:23 PM |#11011  
Thanks Meter: 617

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkt_Lnt

The correct second command is

Code:
fastboot boot recovery recovery.img

That's what I thought too but I tried it last week and couldn't get it working with that command with adb version 1.0.32
It only worked with

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
So maybe try both, one of them will work for a version

17th July 2016, 04:31 PM |#11012  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Somewhere in Oz...
Thanks Meter: 3,959

Donate to Me
More
Don't Samsung devices have a recovery partition? If so, then
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
is the way to go. Then boot to recovery from the bootloader menu and flash.
17th July 2016, 04:33 PM |#11013  
Thanks Meter: 1,308

More
Quote:

The correct second command is

Code:
fastboot boot recovery recovery.img

I don't think so. "fastboot boot" only expects a boot image and eventually a ramdisk. "fastboot flash" expects a partition (recovery in this case) and an image (recovery.img). Please document yourself before giving answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to fmc000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fmc000 Ad-Free
17th July 2016, 04:41 PM |#11014  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,801

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep_i

That's what I thought too but I tried it last week and couldn't get it working with that command with adb version 1.0.32
It only worked with

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
So maybe try both, one of them will work for a version

You are correct, mine was not.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000

I don't think so. "fastboot boot" only expects a boot image and eventually a ramdisk. "fastboot flash" expects a partition (recovery in this case) and an image (recovery.img). Please document yourself before giving answers.

You can boot a recovery without installing it, however my command line was incorrect and @grep_i is correct.

Bottom of post #6.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277112
17th July 2016, 04:57 PM |#11015  
Thanks Meter: 1,308

More
Quote:

You can boot a recovery without installing it, however my command line was incorrect and @grep_i is correct.

I know it, actually I use that syntax quite often as I have a device with a locked bootloader without known exploit: that's the only way I can boot a recovery on it.
17th July 2016, 05:19 PM |#11016  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey63

Don't Samsung devices have a recovery partition? If so, then

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
is the way to go. Then boot to recovery from the bootloader menu and flash.

There could be various reasons someone does not want to install a custom recovery I'm not going into detail about it though.
So booting a custom recovery could be a way to get things done.
And what I described is the correct way to boot a custom recovery with the use of adb and fastboot.
Did this on Windows, Linux and one time on a Mac and it always worked.
Your code is correct but unnecessary for this case.
The Following User Says Thank You to grep_i For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift grep_i Ad-Free
17th July 2016, 05:37 PM |#11017  
Flag Kunfunadhoo
Thanks Meter: 2,778

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd

This may be the problem:

Code:
|[email protected]:/data # ls -l su.img
-rw------- root     root     33554432 2016-07-17 01:52 su.img
[email protected]:/data # resize2fs su.img 96M                                    
resize2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
The filesystem is not need to resize.It is very close to size to resize
Then again, maybe that's because the image is in use on the phone. If I 'adb pull' it to my laptop, I can resize it there without issue.

After copying su.img to a new file elsewhere on the file-system of my S2 Tab (T710) and S7 Edge (G935F), I can now say with absolutely certainty that the resize2fs on these Samsungs doesn't work for this operation.

Informing @Chainfire. These devices will need some other fix to enlarge su.img to 96Mb.

Both devices give:

Code:
The filesystem is not need to resize.It is very close to size to resize.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
17th July 2016, 06:45 PM |#11018  

More
Quote:

After copying su.img to a new file elsewhere on the file-system of my S2 Tab (T710) and S7 Edge (G935F), I can now say with absolutely certainty that the resize2fs on these Samsungs doesn't work for this operation.

Informing @Chainfire. These devices will need some other fix to enlarge su.img to 96Mb.

Both devices give:

Code:

I guess it is not possible because the su. img is already at the most possible 32 mb as set before.
To change this you should probably remove the old su.img and create a new one with 96 mb size or else I do not see how to resize it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app
17th July 2016, 09:04 PM |#11019  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 29,954

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Both devices give:

Code:

Use my commands from within TWRP?
17th July 2016, 09:45 PM |#11020  
Thanks Meter: 2,072

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

^This. TWRP's commands and binaries are independent from the ROM (ie it has its own).

Sent from: SGS5 - MM 6.0.1 / SGS4 - LP 5.0.1
The Following User Says Thank You to egingell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift egingell Ad-Free
17th July 2016, 10:19 PM |#11021  
Flag Kunfunadhoo
Thanks Meter: 2,778

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep_i

No I am not aware of that I guess you should try to find out.

I tried it on the S7 Edge and, unfortunately, I was right that it doesn't work. adb reboot-bootloader simply reboots the phone, i.e. back to the OS.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Quote:
Originally Posted by egingell

^This. TWRP's commands and binaries are independent from the ROM (ie it has its own).

I tried it on my tablet and, yes, TWRP correctly resized the image. Thanks.

I'm aware that TWRP has its own binaries, but the image resizing that SuperSU 2.76 natively attempts is performed, as far as I can tell, by /sbin/launch_daemonsu.sh.

Looking inside that file, resize2fs is called without a path, so whichever $PATH is in effect at the time is the one that is used. That presumably results in the ineffective invocation of /system/bin/resize2fs on these Samsung devices.

I don't have TWRP on my S7 Edge, so I'll have to either install it or look up how to create a flashable ZIP for FlashFire if I want to resize the image on that device as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, TWRP won't even work on the S7 Edge, because /data is encrypted.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root, super user functions
Previous Thread Next Thread