By chamonix, Recognized Contributor on 21st July 2011, 10:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th August 2016, 03:04 PM |#30831  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasenbaer2

Hi,

can't get my Lollipop tablet into deep sleep mode at all - mostly it even runs at full CPU clock
Besides the normal Google framework stuff nearly nothing else is installed since the tablet is just a few days old. I already disabled as many Google services as I could find: e.g. location, sync etc are all set to off.
Yet my tablet stays in awake mode nearly all the time: Awake (Screen Off) (): 4 h 30 s 97,9%.
As a culprit I see two wakelocks: rtw_wifi_resume and otg_wake_lock, as well as the Android-OS task with the highest CPU usage and battery drain.
The tablet has no phone or GPS, just WLAN.

I uploaded two logs where I let the tablet idle, e.g. I didn't use it (sorry I'm not allowed to post URLs yet - please copy them):
textuploader.com/5812r
textuploader.com/58120

Thanks for your help!

Well I found the issue: my tablet will not go to sleep if any USB cable is connected. It does not matter if any device is connected or not. In my case I left the cable for the charger connected (the charger itself was not connected). Is this the default Android behavior or did the manufacturer screw up with their USB drivers?
8th August 2016, 03:31 PM |#30832  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Hi everyone, sorry for the noob question, but it's not addressed in the OP or within the last 5 forum pages, so I ask.

Currently I have a payed PlayStore version installed as system app. I see that the free XDA beta version has more features, Doze statistics in particular. How do I correctly install this update?

I've downloaded and installed it, but it did not update PlayStore app, instead it installed as a separate app (so I got 2 undistinguishable BBS icons next to each other). Neither did the free XDA version ask me to install itself as a system app, so I'm not sure whether the statistics it was trying to gather were right and/or complete. So it didn't feel right to uninstall the PlayStore version and I have uninstalled the XDA version instead just to make sure everything works the way it did and I don't have 2 apps running doing the same job.

Is the install as system app restriction removed from XDA beta? Or does it somehow cooperate with the PlayStore system version? Why isn't there just a PlayStore Beta program for BBS so I can receive the beta updates the usual way without having to monitor thread and manually download and install the APK every time?

I'm a bit confused, thanks in advance for all the info.

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk
8th August 2016, 03:35 PM |#30833  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 883

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasenbaer2

Well I found the issue: my tablet will not go to sleep if any USB cable is connected. It does not matter if any device is connected or not. In my case I left the cable for the charger connected (the charger itself was not connected). Is this the default Android behavior or did the manufacturer screw up with their USB drivers?

It is polling to see if you connected something to the USB cable you plugged in. The phone thinks you did it for a reason. Afer all, who would leave a cable plugged in for no reason?
The Following User Says Thank You to githyanki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift githyanki Ad-Free
8th August 2016, 04:19 PM |#30834  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

It is polling to see if you connected something to the USB cable you plugged in. The phone thinks you did it for a reason. Afer all, who would leave a cable plugged in for no reason?

Well I assumed an USB device would send a "device connected event" when plugged in (as well as a heartbeat while connected) instead of the host using polling. I thought the cable would just be a dumb extension for the port: as long as no device is connected an elec. circuit is not closed aka no elec. flow. Guess I was wrong there.
8th August 2016, 06:25 PM |#30835  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 3,537

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.by

Currently I have a payed PlayStore version installed as system app. I see that the free XDA beta version has more features, Doze statistics in particular. How do I correctly install this update?

I've downloaded and installed it, but it did not update PlayStore app, instead it installed as a separate app (so I got 2 undistinguishable BBS icons next to each other). Neither did the free XDA version ask me to install itself as a system app, so I'm not sure whether the statistics it was trying to gather were right and/or complete. So it didn't feel right to uninstall the PlayStore version and I have uninstalled the XDA version instead just to make sure everything works the way it did and I don't have 2 apps running doing the same job.

Is the install as system app restriction removed from XDA beta? Or does it somehow cooperate with the PlayStore system version?

The XDA version is the current beta. As you have noticed, it offers a few significant advantages over the production release, which is the one available from the Play Store.

Until the current beta becomes the new production version (which is quite close now), you should remove the Play Store version and reinstall the one here on XDA.

BBS no longer needs to be a system app to collect its statistics. Just ensure that you assign it the required permissions as detailed elsewhere in this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
8th August 2016, 07:16 PM |#30836  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd

The XDA version is the current beta. As you have noticed, it offers a few significant advantages over the production release, which is the one available from the Play Store.

Until the current beta becomes the new production version (which is quite close now), you should remove the Play Store version and reinstall the one here on XDA.

BBS no longer needs to be a system app to collect its statistics. Just ensure that you assign it the required permissions as detailed elsewhere in this thread.

Thanks for your reply! Things are much clearer now.

I have read a recent post by BBS creator that RC1 of the updated version can be expected within a week. Do you have any idea based on your previous experience how long it lasts lasts between RC1 and final version (in case everything works as expected)?

I think I'll just wait for the PlayStore version to get updated, no wish going through troubles of uninstalling a system app. Btw, great to hear it doesn't need to be a system app anymore, good for future ROM flashes.

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk
8th August 2016, 08:40 PM |#30837  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 3,537

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.by

I have read a recent post by BBS creator that RC1 of the updated version can be expected within a week. Do you have any idea based on your previous experience how long it lasts lasts between RC1 and final version (in case everything works as expected)?

I think I'll just wait for the PlayStore version to get updated, no wish going through troubles of uninstalling a system app. Btw, great to hear it doesn't need to be a system app anymore, good for future ROM flashes.

No, I'm not sure how long it will be until 2.2.0 final, but if I were you, I wouldn't wait for it. There's nothing to lose by installing the XDA version of the app now. Then, when the Play Store version is updated, you can simply remove the XDA app and install the one from the Play Store.

Otherwise, the same situation is likely to repeat itself in the future. Some time after the new release on the Play Store, a new beta will appear on XDA and you'll be running old code again.

All in all, it's probably better to run the XDA version exclusively, since that one is always up to date.

I'm not sure why the developer has chosen this model, because it effectively discourages purchases of the app and obfuscates the fact that there are more up-to-date versions of the app available, but ours is not to reason why.
The Following User Says Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
9th August 2016, 02:32 AM |#30838  
OP Recognized Contributor
Berlin
Thanks Meter: 19,252

More
Exclamation
RC1 us up! Sorry for the features that didn't make it into 2.2 (https://github.com/asksven/BetterBat...s/milestone/45) but the time window (imminent release of Nougat) is closing and experience tells that we will need a few rounds of RCs until the golden release.

I have been reflecting on my pace and ability to deliver as well and a few things struck me:
1. releases have slipped from twice a year to almost once a year: this is not good enough, I need to work on getting features faster out the door! (my KPIs would be frequency of release to XDA _and_ to gplay as well)
2. google play has evolved over the last two years and maybe it's time for some additional experiments using the alpha/beta rings there. I have always been straight forward in my opinion that such tools do not replace an active community of testers and I still don't see the ranking system as a good way to provide feedback or to have a conversation. That said times changes so why not give it a try
3. I have been thinking of a 3-step approach - instead of the beta/RC approach we currently follow: alphas will stay exclusively here , betas and RCs would potentially go to google play as well
4. I need a robust way to collect crashes (I am not talking about the crappy implementation of google play and am thinking in the direction of hockey-app. If any devs want to step-in please feel free to share your experience
5. I need a response to the causes of 1. and these would be:
a) my free time this year has been hit by hard times at my day-job and these will continue for at least 12 month so I guess I need to change my way of time-boxing to take smaller chunks
b) BBS has become a complex app and I am happy about that but I have no idea if this complexity is really useful to you as users. What I want to say here is that I have no clue for example if the graphs are used or not and on the other hand I know that the code is everything else than elegant or simple. I will need to do some thinking about how to (re-)introduce usage metrics in order to drive my priorities by hard facts
c) I admit that my release strategy has become more conservative over time and it can not be explained only by my ability to spend my free hours on this project: I have no problem in admitting that releasing code to potentially 200.000+ paying users scares the hell out of me. I did not test the upgrade process enough and one release (some of you may remember) lead to a broken release that was very hard to fix. The effect was tons of bad ratings over two weeks and it has taken "me" almost 18 month to recover from that. Now I hear some say "first world problem" and you are right in a way: BBS is not my business but a hobby with certain benefits (yes, let's use the word: earnings). Now does my existence depend on BBS? no. Do I feel bad when my users - paid or not - are unhappy? hell yea! I am still looking for a receipe for that but I guess that the problem is more with me that with any technical solution but I needed to get it out of my system so thanks if you read to this point

Wow! Originally I wanted to tell you that the new version was up, and I ended-up with something more of the kind of a blog-post... sorry for that!

This is all part of the "experiment", and I'd like to hear from your comments/replies if the ramblings of a part time indie-dev are interesting to you or not. If you have an opinion / some experience / thoughts on the technical stuff above please feel free to weigh in as well

Peace!
The Following 133 Users Say Thank You to chamonix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chamonix Ad-Free
9th August 2016, 02:50 AM |#30839  
Flag Enumclaw, Wa.
Thanks Meter: 357

More
Aside from your amazing app buddy... I think it's a great thing that you communicate your concerns AND it's very therapeutic for you👍👍. Especially since you do this on your own time for free.
I really appreciate what you do and all other dev/themers and other users input in XDA👍
Now back to the app.. I persoally don't use any graphs or xtra stuff like that.. Others may but thats just my 2 centsbud.
Thanks again! 👍

E's MDK JDC S4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Raiders For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1Raiders Ad-Free
9th August 2016, 03:24 AM |#30840  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 900

More
Well first of all you are human. You have feelings and everything that is making us humans. We are humans too. So if you always need time... Take time. First family, regular job, then everything. We know (well I speak for whole xda members, but I know they surely share this) that you are trying your best and always you do your best. You bought me with " Do I feel bad when my users - paid or not - are unhappy? hell yea! " You are great man and you did BBS to be one of the most accurate apps for reading battery "problems".

Thanks again @chamonix and God bless you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deni_NS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Deni_NS Ad-Free
9th August 2016, 03:42 AM |#30841  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Contributor
Arkham
Thanks Meter: 8,626

Donate to Me
More
@chamonix Great work bud
Thanks a lot for the update ^_^

__
v7
XDA Assist
The Following User Says Thank You to v7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift v7 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alarms, android, battery drain, battery monitor, battery stats, bbs, betterbatterystats, failed, wakelock, wakeup

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)