Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

ejlmd

Jan 11, 2009
Northern New Jersey
?Clear type for Android ports

Thank you DZO for your extraordinary efforts, perseverance and talent in bringing Android to the Vogue.
The only reason I haven't switched over completely (via NAND) is that text sharpness just isn't as clear as with Windows Mobile (with Clear Type enabled). My 50 year old eyes have trouble with the small text in the browser in particular. I'm using 240x320 and have tries LCD densities 120, 113, 110, 106.
Is there any way to bring Clear Type or similar functionality to Android on the Vogue?
Thank you in advance.

drewden123

Mar 8, 2008
Thank you DZO for your extraordinary efforts, perseverance and talent in bringing Android to the Vogue.
The only reason I haven't switched over completely (via NAND) is that text sharpness just isn't as clear as with Windows Mobile (with Clear Type enabled). My 50 year old eyes have trouble with the small text in the browser in particular. I'm using 240x320 and have tries LCD densities 120, 113, 110, 106.
Is there any way to bring Clear Type or similar functionality to Android on the Vogue?
Thank you in advance.

240x320 @ 120 is simply the clearest you will get. The only other possible solution would be to try different fonts. These can be applied via androidupdate.tar or, my personal preference, an app called "TypeFresh." One font that looks much better than the stock IMO is called Liberation. I saw it posted somewhere in the android forums and it looks much better than the stock font and it may appeal to your eyes more.

brunes

Dec 9, 2006
Has anyone noticed that the battery life in the recent kernels has been far less?

I haven't changed anything else I can think of, and my battery life (which used to last 1.5 days with Juice Defernder) is now only around 3/4 of a day - I cant go from AM to PM without plugging in.

I think this started 2-3 weeks ago.

lagloose

Feb 11, 2008
I know, this is Kernel Thread for Vogue...
Nevertheless the information for you, that with the actual kernel, Audio on HTC Nike seems to be broken. Ring- and Media tones sound "cracking" and are very silent. Volume can't be adjusted anymore...

Tried new kernel on Nike again. New Touchscreen Driver seems to work. Also Screen Calibration works very well.
Unfortunately Audio is still broken on Nike. :mad:

Anyone who could fix this for us Nike Users in the future ?... :)

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
Has anyone noticed that the battery life in the recent kernels has been far less?

I haven't changed anything else I can think of, and my battery life (which used to last 1.5 days with Juice Defernder) is now only around 3/4 of a day - I cant go from AM to PM without plugging in.

I think this started 2-3 weeks ago.

I think I've noticed the same thing. I do not have the original charger (I got the phone for free from a collegue that upgraded so I suppose he kept the extra charger). But I do have another wall-socket-to-usb charger but it's rather weak but it has been able to charge the phone overnight, but the charging is way slower now. I'm getting 200-250 with the screen turned off and less than 200 with it turned on. Before I think I got at least 300-400 mA with the screen turned on.

To see your live charge/discharge values open a terminal and type:
$ su
# cat /proc/kmsg | grep charge

Perhaps the new touchscreen driver is more power demanding?

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Good news for Kaiser and Polaris, I've spent some time looking at power management on these devices and after lots of work I think I've found the problem. The way the uart is connected on these devices is different to vogue and the sleep settings for the uart gpios were draining power. I've set the gpios to inputs when not in use now and it makes a huge difference for me, overnight my kaiser only used 3% battery. It should also have a similar effect on polaris but I haven't tested that yet.

New NBHs and zImage on my website.

p.s. if you want to see how much power your device is using, do this from adb:

on polaris:
make sure it has resumed from power collapse at least once
echo "171 0 1 1" > /sys/class/vogue_hw/gpio
echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/green/brightness
and switch the display off.

dmesg should show the power usage every 10 secs.
mine uses about 100mA

on kaiser:
echo "157 0 1 1" > /sys/class/vogue_hw/gpio
echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/amber/brightness
my kaiser reports about 120mA (perhaps this can be improved!)

note: doing this stops the device from charging, to allow it to charge again do:
echo "157 0 1 0" > /sys/class/vogue_hw/gpio
or
echo "117 0 1 0" > /sys/class/vogue_hw/gpio

lunigma

Sep 2, 2009
Los Angeles
RSS for Kernel Builds

I've created an RSS for the new Kernel builds using page2rss. For anyone else interested in this, here it is:

page2rss.com/page?url=it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M

It saves you from having to check back here for new builds.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Good news for Kaiser and Polaris, I've spent some time looking at power management on these devices and after lots of work I think I've found the problem. The way the uart is connected on these devices is different to vogue and the sleep settings for the uart gpios were draining power. I've set the gpios to inputs when not in use now and it makes a huge difference for me, overnight my kaiser only used 3% battery. It should also have a similar effect on polaris but I haven't tested that yet.
Really, only 3%? I have to really test this out.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
DZO, any chance you can look into why recovery mode must be selected before boot in order for a PC to see the SD card through USB?

manu33xtro

Nov 23, 2008
Bordeaux : wine... Hum...
Good news...

Hi DZO,

Thank you very much for that very good news : I will install it right now...
I can tell you that I use the CM5.0.8 by Kallt_kaffe (with odexing files) and it's a very good build (I think the better for now) and I haven't any problems that I've said like sometimes lose network, very slow for make call,...

Great, great work !!!...

You're the best for us !

Thanks again.

New NBHs and zImage on my website.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I've put some new NBHs on my site, they have fixed minor numbers for the eclair hw3d devices which should fix adb on eclair (I haven't tried it). Also, I changed the gpio setup code for Kaiser and switched the i2c gpios to inputs on suspend for all devices. This may or may not save some power. Enjoy.

ptcfast2

Apr 8, 2007
Cary, NC
Anyone have any issues in general with the Vogue's 22nd and 23rd Eclair specific kernel? I can't get it to boot correctly! Sometimes it will freeze at the menu prompt, other times it will actually give me an error message. :confused:

The 6/17 Vogue Eclair kernel does not have this problem (for me at least).

ebautista

Mar 31, 2008
Malabon
Anyone have any issues in general with the Vogue's 22nd and 23rd Eclair specific kernel? I can't get it to boot correctly! Sometimes it will freeze at the menu prompt, other times it will actually give me an error message. :confused:

The 6/17 Vogue Eclair kernel does not have this problem (for me at least).

I get that that same freeze issue in my kaiser too but for 6/22 and 6/23. But it freezes just before it gets to the press d-pad... option. Sometimes it ha garbled texts or Waiting for SD card... message.

So I went back to 06-17-2010 release. :)

Last edited:

dnessl

Jan 27, 2009
I've put some new NBHs on my site, they have fixed minor numbers for the eclair hw3d devices which should fix adb on eclair (I haven't tried it). ...

Hi dzo,
I am happy to verify that, with this new kernel, adb is now working on my Vogue running myn's Warm Eclair.

Getting ADB working allowed me to do what I really wanted: to run your odex.sh, which seems to make things run a lot faster. FYI, I'm running NoMoRootFS off of SD Card with 500MB ext2 partitions each for data and system, so I had plenty of space. (It feels now like I'm running off NAND.)

Thanks again!

ebautista

Mar 31, 2008
Malabon
6/22 and 6/23 Freeze Issue

6/22 and 6/23 Freeze Issue. Is this already solved? Anybody have the same problem in Vogue or Kaiser?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..